IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
View Poll Results: What is better for Open Wheel race cars
Tracks marked with a dirt Berm 91 85.85%
Track marked with Loader tires 15 14.15%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll
mscs20 (Offline)
  #31 8/19/14 10:04 PM
I think Dalton Gabbard prefers a berm after Friday in Farmer City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyGDb_RWmo
TQ29m (Online)
  #32 8/19/14 10:16 PM
Tire 1, race car 0.! Not good, should be racing tires! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
jahmo55 (Offline)
  #33 8/19/14 10:31 PM
I Hate those tires on the racetrack. Put me a nice little berm to park my left front on......
DAD (Offline)
  #34 8/20/14 10:48 AM
mscs

OUCH!!!! At 100 responses+ so far we have a majority 87% that don't care much for Loader Tires used to mark turns in open wheel races. I would bet most of that 87% have to race against those tires on a weekly basis. I'm not too sure about the 13%? Are they fans, Racers, or track operators? Tires are an expensive deterrent for racers to force them not to cut corners, a cheap fix for the operators, and a source of entertainment for the fans in the grand-stands.

Open wheel race cars and fendered race cars are two different breeds. Open wheel guys spend a lot of money to keep them as light as possible and have very little protection from tires as seen in the preceding post. Cars with fenders at least have fenders and sometimes even bumpers to fend off the tires and are much closer to the weight of those things. I have know of several racers injured when hitting one of these tires. It would be nice if we could address the problem before something more serious happens.

Honest Dad himself
Bill May (Offline)
  #35 8/20/14 11:43 AM
Dad, It appears that you are really serious about this subject, when first posted, I thought it was just a test to see what Chuck's opinion was, or you were going after his posting record, good luck with that.

Hopefully, I will see you at Brownstown on the 30th.

Bill May
2 Likes: DAD, Rpracing1
DAD (Offline)
  #36 8/20/14 5:00 PM
Bill

There seems to be two things in short supply right now "MONEY" and "RACE CARS" to fill a field. The latter requires a lot of the first thing. When a race car collides with one of those tires the tire usually survives and goes on to fight again without too much time or money spent to get it back in place.

The race car on the other hand is out of commission until the owner can find enough time and money to re build it. In many cases funds may be a little short because them Hundred dollar Bills just don't buy as much as they used to. I realize that we are in a recovery period because the TV people have been telling me this for the last two years, and I believe them. It's just a little slow filtering down here to Kentucky.

My purpose of this post was to hopefully have a few track owners read this and maybe start to think about it a little. We have had several good suggestions so far and I am sure there are more people with other good idea's. That car that tried to move that tire just might not be back for a race or two. That is money out of the track owners pocket and one less car to help make a good show for the crowd.

I can't believe that anybody would enjoy watching a 1500 pound car trying to move a 3000 pound tire at 80 miles per hour, I cringe even thinking about it. Open wheel race cars colliding with oversize tires is an expensive unneeded expense on the racer, and also indirectly relates to the track owner and the racing crowd.

If a track operator is serious about taking care of his racers, and 99.99% of them are. I would hope they would give a little thought on how to correct this problem.

I bet that I am not the first racer to think about those tires or even the first person to ever talk about them in public.

We used to race long before Loaders were even invented and did a pretty good job back then, looks like we could do it again today.

And for those people that are afraid of too much dust at a dirt track race, they have designed a new type race track specially for you I think they they call it Pavement. However I have been told by several pavement fans that on some days they do come away from the track with this "Black Colored Dust" all over them. Probably from them rumble strips.

Honest Dad himself