IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mr nobody (Offline)
  #31 9/8/13 9:39 AM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
Wasn't saying it was anybodies fault. I was saying they weren't interested. Contrary to what some chose to believe this is not a new problem. In the early 80's interest was down. Then Hewitt and Hampshire stirred things up a little. Then some people saw this as a NASCAR ticket and things grew. Even when the car counts were higher, sadly the crowds were about the same. I wish I knew what could fix it, as I really like these races, and support them as much as I can. Maybe the best way to fix it is to buy a ticket. See you at the 4 crown.
Yet you took the time to state that the PRA got no support from the owners (still never answered as to who these "owners" are) and were promptly shot down on that claim.

Not a new problem? Please tell me where in the past there have only been 15 cars that showed up for a Silver Crown race? I'm not talking about the days when they only started 18 cars, I'm talking about a grand total of 15 entered cars for the whole damn night.

What I think some don't want to admit is that USAC has pizzed off the owners of these cars enough to where the owners are giving a clearly symbolic depiction of the often seen extension of the center manus Digitus Me'dius. Too those car owners performing such an act, I can't blame them. You can't keep giving chances to something or someone that has no regard or care for you as has been the case for many many years.
2 Likes: ossuks, racephoto1
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #32 9/8/13 9:43 AM
I thought the early 80's were sort of a boom time. Many outlaw teams had cars and drivers like Steve Kinser, Wolfgang, Swindells and others took part. They had a major event in Springfield one May called the "Dream Event", I think it was 1982. There were a number of cars from Oklahoma and California then also, such as the Ofixco(Shuman), Kearney(Vukovich) cars.

I think there is always an ongoing evolution in racing in general, it's not the publics direct interest in silver crown, but open wheel racing in general.
Speaking of the early 80's, Pancho Carter had moved up from USAC and was doing well in Indy Cars as other Silver Crown drivers would get Indy Car rides also.
How many times would you see Johnny Parson's on Indy bump day qualifying a car or trying to get in the Indy race in an exciting manner. Then you would go see JP put on a heck of a show at DuQouin. Other Indy drivers such as Roger Rager, Tom Bigelow, Larry Dickson, Larry Rice, and I am sure I am missing others who took part then in Silver Crown. Plus open wheel racers at the time such as Rich Vogler, Kenny Schrader, Jeff Gordon made Silver Crown interesting during the 1980's.
Of course you had the Delrose Holt car with Gary B, leading many a lap, he also being an Indy driver.

Seems during the later 1980's I can remember Chuck Gurney leading the pack a bunch in the Black Plastic Express car #30. That car seemed to make the grandstands shake.
2 Likes: jim goerge, racephoto1
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #33 9/8/13 10:45 AM
Excellent post Mr.Nobody , the sentiment is what I hear from car owners. Also , the PRA shows I went to were supported, I saw 30 go at Stafford Springs, and that place is a long way from almost everyone who has a big car.
ossuks (Offline)
  #34 9/8/13 11:01 AM
I don't think the fact that USAC signed a huge $ sponsor 2 yrs ago and returned 0 to the owners has anything to do with the fact the bottom feel out this year. You have to understand that a $1,000,000 plus per year payroll has to be fed (sponsor money).
2 Likes: mowerman, racephoto1
Sprintcarfanatic (Offline)
  #35 9/8/13 1:58 PM
Mike Brecht's 1st time in the Radio Hospital car at eldora was pretty impresive to say the least Racephoto1. He started 22nd & was bangin'er off the wall while passing sometimes 2 cars. I'm positive he finished 2nd in that show.

I don't think it was Brent that said that, It was the other fella & Brent kinda copied it & it looked like he said it. I also think the other fella was talking about the DePalma's ( car owners ).
sprntr (Offline)
  #36 9/8/13 2:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
Finally, anyone know what is racing at Knoxville tonight?
Knoxville had an Enduro last night

Some of the Sprinters showed up at Cedar Lake (WI) for the Jerry Richert Memorial.

steiny
Jonr (Offline)
  #37 9/8/13 2:24 PM
Originally Posted by sprntr:
Knoxville had an Enduro last night

Some of the Sprinters showed up at Cedar Lake (WI) for the Jerry Richert Memorial.

steiny
So, one of the premier open wheel tracks would rather race an enduro than SC cars? Once again, the demand fot the SC races are not there.

Any guess what is next on the schedule for Knoxville?
mr nobody (Offline)
  #38 9/8/13 2:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
So, one of the premier open wheel tracks would rather race an enduro than SC cars? Once again, the demand for the SC races are not there.

Any guess what is next on the schedule for Knoxville?

Jonr, you're obviously not a fan or supporter of the Silver Crown series so why comment on these topics?
groove grabber (Offline)
  #39 9/8/13 3:21 PM
Exactly, just why do you insist on commenting on here, does it make you feel good? Sad that you feel the need to continue to run us down jonr
4 Likes: mr nobody, racephoto1, SpfldMile, Task Force
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #40 9/8/13 4:10 PM
Groove grabber, here's one for you. To watch the drivers hang it out was worth the drive for me. They may be dinosaurs, but nothing is more beautiful than a Champ car on a dirt mile.

IMG_5996 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr
7 Likes: Bill Angel, BrentTFunk, dirt330, IndyBound, Mud Packer, OTSNWR, SC90