IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Evil E
  #31 4/13/10 5:25 PM
I grew up in Central PA so I've had a steady diet of winged racing for over 40 years. Occassionally, we'd get a visit from CRA, SCRA or USAC. Non-wing racing was a rare treat we only got from time to time.

However, I have developed a deeper appreciation for non-wing racing after we bought a midget. I just believe the racing is more exciting. ARDC is beginning to build a following back East. We're the only game in town for the non-wing fan back here.

Also, not all winged racing is single file. You need to check out a regular show at Lincoln (PA). The locals hate time trials so the fields are handicapped. The fast guys start mid-pack, and the racing is intense.

We have a friend whose wife is from SoCal. She's from a racing family and they came East to visit her. He took them to Lincoln, and they could not believe the action. They said the handicapping made for a great show. Unfortunately, the fast guys hate the system, and certain teams have figured out how to scam it.

Finally, I like them all on dirt. I've been to some asphalt midget shows, but they just didn't cut it. I guess if that's all I had I could adapt.
Eatin Dirt (Offline)
  #32 4/13/10 10:16 PM
410 non-wing
jd1sprint (Offline)
  #33 4/13/10 10:34 PM
I prefer the wing cars. I think part of that is because thats what drove back in the day. My nephew runs a nonwing car and I help with that so I really enjoy doin that too. I guess you might say I'm a flip flopper I enjoy helpin my buddy Billl Rose with the wingcar when my nephew isn't racin his nonwinger. Im just glad I can still have fun with both!
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #34 4/14/10 9:53 AM
Prefer Non Wing, I also like the wings and Supermodifieds. The Open Wheel shows at Toledo are great.
illinisprintfan (Offline)
  #35 4/14/10 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan:
I prefer side by side racing, which in my experience of watching both traditional and winged for many years now, seems to occur without the wings more often. I have to admit I've only seen 410 cars with wings, maybe the 360's put on a better show, I'll have to defer to those who have seen it.
OOPS, my wife pointed out that when we went to Skagit, they ran either 360 or 358 sprints with wings. I hate it when she is right. It was 15 years ago and they say the memory is the first to go. Upon reflection, it was good racing, but I still prefer it without wings.
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #36 4/14/10 4:57 PM
Asking this question here is like going to a gay bar and asking who's there for the women. Pretty easy to predict what most of the answers will be. With that said, I've grown to like the winged sprints in recent years, largely because I don't get to see them very often. The racing is usually excellent with the non-wing sprints, so its hard not to like them. Dirt late models are my favorite class, but the question asked was only about sprint cars.
Lucky161 (Offline)
  #37 4/14/10 7:57 PM
I must be a 4%er and I'm proud of it. I like them all. Of the races I've seen, the best races race in and race out are the ASCS winged 360s. They rarely have a bad race. They have great car counts with enough legitimate professional drivers that even when it's follow the leader, it's follow the leader very closely and the slightest mistake can cause a change in position. I've also witnessed amazing runs from the back, sometimes on the same night.
I like midgets but don't get to see them very often down here. I love the 305s and the series that runs around here has good car counts (around 30) at every race, partially inverted features with last week's winner starting at the back the next week. They have had a couple of winners that started in the back, but it's rare. They also run both winged and non winged, so they are the only non winged sprints I get to see on a regular basis. I like them both.
I've never seen 410s without wings but WoO while billed as the best ranks last with me, simply due to small car counts. While I am rarely disappointed at an ASCS 360 race or a 305 Racesaver race, I am almost always disappointed when I go to a WoO race.
Z-man (Offline)
  #38 4/14/10 8:29 PM
I like wings in mango habanero sauce. Followed buy a tall cold draft beer.:99::
i love dirt track racing (Offline)
  #39 4/14/10 9:57 PM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:
What type of Sprint Car racing do you prefer most?
410 Winged Sprint
410 NON-Winged Sprint
360 Winged Sprints
360 Non-Winged Sprints
305 Winged Sprints
1200cc Mini Sprints
1000cc Mini Sprints
600 Micro Sprints
OTHER: Name it
any thing that dose not have a wing and we all hope that eldora can get the track ready befoe the next non wing show
baconracing99 (Offline)
  #40 4/14/10 11:50 PM
I drive winged and non winged both and they each have their pros and cons. winged cars need a slicker track and non wing typically puts on a better show on a heavier track. I am planning on running the 360 winged race at gas city may 21. then change motors and remove wing for lburg and kokomo sat and sunday. should be fun
2 Likes: FishBurger, Lucky161