IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute ends early
9/27/09, 9:23 PM   #31
Re: Terre Haute ends early
terrehautian

Sadly....that is how it has become....

9/27/09, 11:39 PM   #32
Wolfe-e

I was there and it was Bad! In the end both Gravel? the 89x and Travis were transported to the hospital. Travis was airlifted on the Indy.. No news on that. But keep them in your prayers, please... I spoke with Gravel after the wreck, he was having problems breathing and was tranported as a precaution I believe... Miranda was shaken but seemed OK... The problem started after the 89x lost an engine and it eventually locked up on the frontstretch in the middle of the track. The Rutz car cliped the right side and turned toward the flagstand just as Miranda arrived on the scene... The 22 was launched into the fence.... Wild Ride for Miranda and a close call for the Flagman too......
Again, Bad Wreck. Now all anyone can do is hope and prey... I know they are in mine... Wolfe-e

9/27/09, 11:51 PM   #33
dirtduster

Let me just say this the dust at THAT tonight was a huge contributing factor to that accident.The car that was leading had a motor that was about ready to go and was smoking for two laps before he finally stalled at the end of the front stretch and it was so dusty that everyone behind him could not even see him sitting there until they wee on top of him.That is the worst track prep that i have seen anywhere this year when it is so dusty in the first group of hot laps that you can't even see the cars.I think that is why guys like tim shaffer and terry mccarl chose not to run the dash.

9/27/09, 11:53 PM   #34
terrehautian

What time did the end happen?

9/28/09, 12:05 AM   #35
racerman454

Any info on either of these two drivers yet ?

9/28/09, 1:39 AM   #36
njtraveler

spoke with Gravel's father a bit ago, David has a slight fracture to his T5 vertebrae but is ok otherwise. he was wearing a HANS and is just upset with the night as is everyone that was there. Starting with track conditions that killed tires within 3 laps, to the horrible ending of the night, it was just a weird night of racing. pray for Travis.

1 member likes this post: TeamCGR
9/28/09, 2:01 AM   #37
mark@xxxraceco.com

Travis is one of the nicest and most talented drivers in racing today. Our thoughts and prayers are with Travis and his family tonight.

9/28/09, 7:17 AM   #38
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtraveler View Post
spoke with Gravel's father a bit ago, David has a slight fracture to his T5 vertebrae but is ok otherwise. he was wearing a HANS and is just upset with the night as is everyone that was there. Starting with track conditions that killed tires within 3 laps, to the horrible ending of the night, it was just a weird night of racing. pray for Travis.
There was almost another bad situation during quals. Lake spun before taking the green on the backstretch. While they were waiting for a push truck to get him started again, a tractor pulled on the track and started working the frontstretch, they fired Lake back off and he got through 3 and 4 and was heading up the frontstretch at speed while the tractor was still on the track.

9/28/09, 1:17 PM   #39
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Not trying to be disrespectful or start a pissing match, but when did the wreck happen and was that the end of the show? I wasn't there so I really don't know anything more than I read on here. Thanks for the info. I also wish all the drivers a speedy recovery.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/28/09, 1:23 PM   #40
illinisprintfan

The wreck ended the race at about the half way mark, or maybe a little farther, I lost count. The damage to the fence was considered irrepairable, so they called the race over.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute ends early