IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > K. Miller's USAC announcement
7/10/15, 11:35 AM   #31
Re: K. Miller's USAC announcement
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I don't like the personal attacks on the board and its the reason I know a couple dozen that no longer post. Right or wrong or only half right, They should be able to say it.

If a major league manager team stinks for several years or continuously declines, Is it not the manager who gets the criticism or the axe? Like it or not, Miller is the Manager and other than recently SC has been in decline for about six years. Yeah, some of its totally beyond his control. The economy took a dump etc. But some of it is.

I really don't think some people, Even some who claim to be IN THE KNOW get it. Its not the ONE 30k-50k motor, Its the fact to run the whole series competitively you'll need two or three of em in-case one takes a dump, probably two chassis and a spare. Be able to bolt a new tire on every night and sometimes wear three of em totally out in one night and be ready the next night.

Making one tire brand sure helps USAC's coffers but what about the racer who has AR sponsorship and can get em at 75 bucks a tire? He now has to pay the 150 the mandated brand is asking. Even if its a tad off retail. They're still losing.

Miller was hired to fix the finance of USAC get that on stable ground. Id say he's done that. However, Has the product suffered? theres only one answer DEFINITELY.
Charles, I go to a lot more USAC races than you. I think the product is better than it was when Miller took over. The Silver Crown series crashed before he took over. Midgets are not that strong anywhere. A POWRI, USAC, and Badger race last week at Sun Prairie had 24 cars. I think that works out to 8 cars per group, but is tough to say since several of the teams just race. As for tires, I don't know of any major sanctioning body in any form that does not have a tire rule. Indycar, Nascar, WoO, All stars. The sprints are running more races since 1974. I don't see the product is suffering. 50 car fields will never sustain themselves, because the same guys load up early and decide it is no fun.

7/10/15, 12:11 PM   #32
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Brent, I don't know all the problems and don't claim too. Please explain to me how USAC runs a track within 50 miles of Indy, Has 23 cars, Meanwhile a track 200 miles from anyone in PA has 36 Non Wing while Lburg, Paragon, LPS, Waynesfield all struggle to get a full field?

Of course nobody in the group has a thumper motor and there might be a handful of new RR's in the whole group. But maybe thats part of the problem.

I 100% admire the USAC format the inverts etc. However the whole scenario is based on qualifying where only a track or two actually runs that format now and in most cases. Only against their own heat and the feature lined up on finsh of the heat.

It takes a ton of skill to lay down fast qualifying and the thumper motor as well in most cases. Meanwhile by race or feature time. The motor is secondary to setup and driver in many cases..

I don't know the answer. I do feel that prior to 2008 USAC sprint and midgets were growing while SC was slipping.

As far as actuall racing? Yeah, Id say right now there are more drivers that could win on any given night vs say Vogler, Elliott and Butler dominating a whole year and only five following the entire series.

But as far as particpation rate? More avoid it than join it. Granted, some should, but are there a lot of teams that could compete that aren't due to qualifying or whatever? I say there are.

For awhile it seemed that a local track champ or ho tshoe could topple em once every few races. That has gone the way of the dodo.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/10/15 at 12:16 PM.

7/10/15, 12:22 PM   #33
TQ29m

I'd have to agree with the last line, there can be TOO many, and that indeed will drive off the field, seen it many times over the years, with the exception, when we weren't running for money! Bob

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, fish
7/10/15, 1:43 PM   #34
DAD

Darned

I can't believe so many people get so excited over Midget Racing. To take a quote from a past president>>>" IT"S THE ECONOMY STUPID !!!" It is pretty hard to load the kids up and go to the races when you are on food stamps and have two part time jobs that means you are either working or sleeping. Yeh the economy has even hit some of the better off Racers. They could afford to race because they new how to handle their money BUT when racing starts dipping into their reserve cash they simply stop racing. Until and if the American Economy Engine ever get up and running on all cylinders, racing is going to be a causality.

Speed takes Horsepower and Horsepower takes Money. I never enjoyed Midgets at Big Salem, Winchester, or IRP. A short wheel base car going at those speeds and darting all over the race track is not enjoyable to me. Stretch the car out put a big V8 in it and call it a Champ Car (old habits die hard) and I am all for it. I guess that is just my personal taste.

Take USAC back to the Fair grounds>>not Indiana State Fairgrounds. I'm thinking county Fair grounds. Drop the ticket price where the Food Stamp Dad Might think about taking the family out and see what happens.. Kenny Brown and PowrI are having a real tough time of it. Have you ever tried to find a pit spot at Little BellVille or for that matter a seat in the grandstands just to watch a race. Yep they have it rough.

Now Kenny steps in and takes Division II Midgets under his arms. That would be Midgets that takes into account those of us Racers that think $2500.00 is enough for a power plant as opposed to $25,000.00 for an all out billet super duty race engine. Also from what I hear Toyota's don't have a price tag. Whether or not you race a TRO depends more on your last name, and your place in the pecking order. But you know what on a 1/4 mile track or smaller track a $2500.00 motor probably could run with their Big Brothers.

Maybe Mr. Miller Might see the light and not limit USAC's Midget starter class to the $10,000.00 Honda Midget Motor that would sure help us low dollar Blue Collar Food Stamp racers get back into Midget racing in the Mid west. One can only wish??? If he did I can bet there will be a racer that can put that Honda Motor up front for him anyhow, because It is a nice Motor especially at a $1500.00 Junk Yard price.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/10/15 at 2:12 PM.

7/10/15, 1:53 PM   #35
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I don't like the personal attacks on the board and its the reason I know a couple dozen that no longer post.
This thread was started with a personal attack and I'm certain there are also a couple of dozen people out there that don't post here much because if it.
Last edited by fish; 7/10/15 at 2:04 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Pat O'Connor Fan
7/10/15, 2:27 PM   #36
DAD

Silver Crown (Champ Car) an event. Maybe in conjunction with NASCAR at a track like Kentucky playing second fiddle or a prelim or post race to the trucks for 100 miles. I would buy a ticket. This would probably help ticket sales and crowds for both groups of cars + you might see some drivers doing double duty. Who knows it might introduce another segment of the population to open wheel racing and visa versa.

Two problems Tracks toO long for midgets and tracks too short for Silver Crown.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/10/15 at 2:48 PM.

7/11/15, 12:58 PM   #37
Sprintcarfanatic

Damnnnnnnn Isn't there a flag to take down somewhere !!!!!

2 members like this post: DAD, fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > K. Miller's USAC announcement