IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Valley Raceway
4/15/15, 10:33 PM   #31
Re: Thunder Valley Raceway
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Why not run it just like the Montpeiler program?
Leader

With Montpelier running 10 times a year and Thunder Valley running 10 time a year also it would make for a full season for the Midget program for these racers. That sounds like a great Idea. Harold has several big advantages over these guys. He owns his track. He has invested a great deal in improvements at Montpelier. Thunder Valley is still a rental track and it is hard to justify investing large sums of money in its development. Harold had already a few years of experience under his belt before starting his Midget program and had secured some support from the Midget Racing community.

I understand that Thunder Valley is thinking about starting out with a much smaller purse than Montpelier. How many of the Montpelier regulars would come south for lets say $300.00 to win? So far we have heard from one Montpelier regular and his response was positive. What about guys like Don Moore, what do they think about such an idea? I doubt if Thunder Valley will be starting out with very deep pockets Fair Boards usually have very steep rental rates.

Right now they need support>>>In put>>>Sponsors>>>and all the other things that go along with running a race track. They have a great Idea. How can You and I help them achieve their goal.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/15/15 at 10:43 PM.

4/15/15, 10:43 PM   #32
tinkertoys

Thunder Valley always drew a great hornet turn out. Thinking of your back gate! They even used to have a Hornet nationals that was a blast for fans and racer's with the trunk or treat since it was the last Saturday in October. I know I will be crucified for bringing up fendered cars on an IOW post but the facts from a promoter strand point don't lie. I know a lot of hornet guy's would also love to have somewhere to run that big motor doesn't prevail.

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/15/15, 10:49 PM   #33
DAD

tinker

Hornets also make your front gate, Mom, Dad, Grand Ma and Pa, all the cousins and friends at work come out to chear on their favorite. They will be a very big component of success at any race track. They are the guys that make Midget racing possible. I can remember a lot of "D" mains in some stock classes at Thunder Valley, and you know what sometimes they were the best races of the night.

Big motors never did prevailed at Thunder Valley even the 600cc uprights were faster than the open wheel mods. The D II Midgets will be an all new ball game.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/15/15 at 10:55 PM.

4/15/15, 11:01 PM   #34
tinkertoys

Dad you are correct! When Bloomington started running hornets the first year in 2011 I had 20 fans on the hill every night I ran supporting me. Since I have for the most part stopped racing as a driver 18 of those 20 haven't been to a race at all anywhere since. They where the friends Uncle's Aunts etc. I have a new car but with doing all the the tech stuff and other work for a living finding time to race is nill. However if Thunder Valley starts up again (if its saturday's or sundays) and runs hornets I will go down and support them every chance I get. It is the raciest little hornet track in Indiana.

4/15/15, 11:24 PM   #35
DAD

Tinker

Thunder Valley switched to Friday Night racing because of the wishes of one promoter several years ago and I guess the new promoters did not change the day because that is the day so an so ran on (they all failed) In its past it was always a Saturday night Track and very successful >>>>with good car count and great crowds, I see can no reason to continue as a Friday Night Track just because several promoters in the past failed to change the mistakes made by others.

Better Get to work on that race car they will need your support.

Honest Dad himself

4/16/15, 5:55 PM   #36
Mikec11n

Dad

I think Friday nights are gonna be a tough row to hoe with most shops quitting at 5 and the races starting at 7. By the time my driver gets off work he should be turning hot laps. Of course, he is my son and also works for the family business so I am sure we will make provisions for him, we all don't have that option is what I am saying. His choice was to give TVR a go, Although we are still working toward the MMSA season because the TVR thing just kinda came to my attention this past week. As soon as I said Midgets and TVR he wanted to be there. BUT, in saying all that if there is a D-2 Midget interest here in Southern Indiana I would give up my chain drive Midget in a flash for one .

Mike Cherry

4/16/15, 7:18 PM   #37
ThunderValleyRaceway

Division ll midgets are lightning sprints/kenyon midgets/echotec midgets/ford focus midgets combined together to make one class

4/16/15, 7:20 PM   #38
DAD

Mike

We are also self employed and work until 6 PM Fridays and Noon on Saturdays. We did do the take off early thing several years ago and the business went to hell.

With MMSA and Chandler on Fri nights two things work in their and our favor>>>Chandler is on Central time and they also start their races later (Makes Sense to me). We can make it down there but it is a push. Salem is 30 miles away and Saturdays worked great. If you want to race on Friday nights I would suggest running the professional racers who only work on their race cars and not worry about the armatures from out of town.

If you guys haven't tried Montpelier yet with the Midgets you seriously aught to look into it.

Honest Dad himself

4/16/15, 7:23 PM   #39
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Why is it I never see posts complaining about Friday shows at Bloomington? Sure, it's tight getting to a track on Fridays sometimes, but isn't this a step in the right direction? Another place where people can go to race if they choose to make the commitment? A race track that's being used as a race track instead of a "Cash-for-clunkers" dump or being plowed under and farmed? Instead of killing it before it even has a chance to see the light of day, how about saying thanks to the organizers for giving it a shot?
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DAD, monkeyboy, ThunderValleyRaceway, tq 91
4/16/15, 8:22 PM   #40
cmiracingvids

I'll finally chime in here. Thunder Valley is a reeeeally fun little race track. And I'm sure even more fun non wing. So, I'm going to check it out at least once. I can't justify driving 3 hours to Chandler, and getting a hotel and going to Western Kentucky on Saturday. I'd love to. But this is a hobby for me. Love the MMSA, and I think this will be their biggest year yet, but i think May 8th, I'll be at Thunder Valley. I'll see what this promoter can do, and then I'll decide if I want to go back or not.

2 members like this post: jjones752, ThunderValleyRaceway
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Valley Raceway