IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Danny Burton
10/14/09, 8:24 PM   #31
Re: Danny Burton
EldoraMark

Our condolences to you my friend and to your family.
A lost love one even when expected is hard but time will heal.

Mark Fritz

10/14/09, 10:11 PM   #32
pletchfan

Signed on and was very saddened to read this news. Just know that many people are praying for God to comfort you now and in the days to come.

10/15/09, 12:06 AM   #33
Danny Burton

First off, many many thanks for all these kind words from many kind people, many whom I've yet to meet. At this late hour, I feel a combination of sorrow and relief. It was a long struggle that my mom had but she gave it her all and Death had a real fight on his hands to the end.

I was called out to hospice and arrived soon as I could. Mom grabbed my hand, in much pain, and said that she was ready to go. I replied to her that was okay, no doubt God and the saints were waiting for her. 2 doses of morphine finally eased the pain and the heartbeat became weaker. Finally, at 5:35 p.m. on Tuesday, the nurse told me that the heartbeat was no more. I was holding one of my mom's hands and my daughter-in-law held the other. My wife and son had gone to get clothes and food. My daughter was en route; at 5:35 she was probably near Shelbyville, IN. And my mom's dog Yogi was there, aware that something was up.

We packed all her things, the right people were called, and many kind words were said to us by the hospice chaplain, Tom Long, our pastor, the Rev. Dan Cash and the hospice staff, caregivers and nurses alike. We headed for the house.

Last night the kids and I had a good time going through pictures for the video tribute to my mom. We laughed at some of the older pictures. It was good for them to see their dad and grandma too in their much younger days. For me it was good therapy as I sorted through a myriad of shots, including some taken at race tracks from Salem to Daytona.

Today, funeral arrangements were made. My mom's viewing will be Thursday from 4-8 p.m. The funeral service will be at 10:30 a.m. on Friday at the Jewell-Rittmann Funeral Home, 3855 25th Street in Columbus, IN. They have a website where virtual candles can be lit. I've already seen where friends and family from Phoenix to Boston have expressed their condolences. Mr. Google will help you with the website; I can't recall what it is exactly right now.

I've spoken with Rev. Cash about the service and did ask that he include a few verses from II Timothy in his message. Some of you may know that this is where the apostle Paul wrote near the end of his amazing life that he'd fought the good fight and had run the race. Where better to include how racing often parallels life, as Jerry alluded to in another of his fine messages here. My mom took the checkered flag as best she could, out of gas, tires worn and the motor pretty much done. Ideally, maybe that's the way we should end this stretch here, leaving nothing on the table, as it were.

So here we sit on the eve of the viewing. I don't look forward to being the center of attention but it will still be good to see so many people, especially family, that I seldom get to see. Funerals are often quasi-family reunions and I see that as a positive. I've been able to re-connect with cousins at funerals, showing that, once again, good things can come from bad things.

The kids are all here, safe and sound. Less than 10 feet away my big son-in-law the cop is peacefully snoring away. He has a tough time ahead too, as a pallbearer. My daughter has been upstairs getting the baby to sleep. (Sprint) Karston has the chicken pox, which will mean that some will have to avoid him in the next 2 days. The Sword Man is here too, of course. Bob and Monica will love the fact that he is wearing a certain t-shirt.

Tomorrow morning Grandma and Grandpa plan to take the whole crew out to the restaurant at the local airport for brunch. At some point, while the others chatter away, I'll lean back and survey the scene. Once again, I'll consider how I've been blessed. Should it all end now for me, I'd still have a big smile on my face because I've seen how good people can be. It's been a very interesting and eventful 58 years up to now and it may well be more of the same for the future. And I'll dwell on people's goodness more than the fact that people can be mean, rude, heartless, etc. It's too easy to do that so I take the less traveled road.

Right now I'm thinking that I'll mosey up to Winchester on Sunday for the 400 lapper. For therapeutic reasons of course. Go ahead and scoff, knowing that it's late models. :2: I love that old track (older than my friend Marv!) and besides, Landon and his dad may join me. And maybe Mike the old Mud Packer and Kelly might even be there with the red school bus (not to be confused with the Terre Haute Shortbus).

And again, many thanks for the kind words, deeds, thoughts and expression of sympathy. I realize that many of you have already walked this walk and many others have it staring them in the face soon. God be with you all.

DB

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

6 members like this post: Dirtfan, mowerman, Mud Packer, Pine, TeamCGR
10/15/09, 10:26 AM   #34
TeamCGR

Mr. Burton, that is a wonderful, personal message you have shared with all of us. I give you huge props for being so positive at this difficult time for you and your Family. Your wisdom and strength is to be envied by all.

You are spot on that all of us face this road you are traveling, some already have. I hope I can handle it with the strength and dignity you have shown. Your Mother is very proud.

Good luck today.

Pete G.

10/15/09, 2:03 PM   #35
ShaneMugavin57

thoughts and prayers from the Mugavin family

10/15/09, 6:56 PM   #36
jim goerge

Danny You & your family are in our prayers Jim & Sara

10/15/09, 8:13 PM   #37
Hughes Racing

Danny... Our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time. I have to agree with Pete Gulick.

The Hughes Family

10/15/09, 11:06 PM   #38
IndyBound

Danny, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, condolences on the loss of your Mom.

Patti

10/15/09, 11:11 PM   #39
Gregg

We continue to send our thoughs and prayers your way. And get to that stinkin' late model race. It will be good for you.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Danny Burton