IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Nate (Offline)
  #31 7/13/16 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Spi-nex:
I'm just glad I live in America where I can witness 1st world problems get hashed out like a good ole LM vs Sprint thread :-D
It's kind of absurd. It's just two different kinds of racing. Same as the ongoing wing vs. non-wing debate that sprouts up here and there on IOW.

But to say LMs are "inferior" I'd say take a look at this clip (best one I could think of off the top of my head) and then tell me that LMs suck. All at the beloved Eldora Speedway. I was at this one, first LM race I had attended there in years right after I got out of the Marines. Great show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fQ7NgWx_I

I'm sure we can all recall sprint races like this. Hell, I've seen many like that this year at just Kokomo alone. Just don't hate on one form of racing because you favor another. The region you live in often dictates a lot. Hence why folks during the Eastern Storm are so taken by non-wing sprints, because they're used to wings.

Nate Bickel - @natefb22
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #32 7/13/16 10:26 PM
I enjoy all classes. I have my favorites but I will watch just about any class. My feeling has always been that good racing is a product of the track configuration and prep far more than it is the class of cars racing. I've seen some great non-wing races at tracks all over Indiana, like Kokomo. But I've also seen some incredible late model races at Fairbury. Both are great tracks that usually produce really competitive racing in any class. I've seen some excellent late model shows all over Illinois, and when they have sprints they are usually really good too. They had a great summer nationals race at Kokomo several years ago. I bet the POWRI race at Fairbury will be pretty good just because it is a great track.

However, I will say that some classes are just better suited to certain tracks or types of track prep. Non-wing sprints fit the short, bull-ring type tracks we have a lot of here in Indiana very well. At a place like Eldora they often aren't as entertaining. I love watching both World of Outlaws tours because I can see them race on so many different tracks. It often shows that they can be extremely exciting or a real snoozer. I've seen some really boring non-wing and late model races also, but it doesn't stop me from looking forward to the next one.
2 Likes: fish, nathans1012
ISF (Offline)
  #33 7/13/16 10:48 PM
Speaking of Fairbury, we'll see just how well the cars, drivers and fans take to FALS this weekend when the POWRi National Midgets come to town. It's been many years since there has been an open wheel race at Fairbury. I sincerely hope Fairbury and POWRi has their act together in regards to push trucks and organization. Believe me, the crowd will be heavily weighted with hard core late model fans and those folks don't take kindly to cars that have to be pushed to start.

We live just 40 minutes away and have been to Fairbury many dozens of times dating back to when I was a very young child in the days when they used to run the rail cars/super modifieds/sprint cars. Since the track was reconfigured we've been to every open wheel show show at Fairbury. Mainly because there haven't been very many. I really hope this one goes off well or it might be a one shot deal.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
Nate (Offline)
  #34 7/13/16 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by ISF:
Speaking of Fairbury, we'll see just how well the cars, drivers and fans take to FALS this weekend when the POWRi National Midgets come to town. It's been many years since there has been an open wheel race at Fairbury. I sincerely hope Fairbury and POWRi has their act together in regards to push trucks and organization. Believe me, the crowd will be heavily weighted with hard core late model fans and those folks don't take kindly to cars that have to be pushed to start.

We live just 40 minutes away and have been to Fairbury many dozens of times dating back to when I was a very young child in the days when they used to run the rail cars/super modifieds/sprint cars. Since the track was reconfigured we've been to every open wheel show show at Fairbury. Mainly because there haven't been very many. I really hope this one goes off well or it might be a one shot deal.
Really not much different than a place like Anderson. Sure they run the Little 500 and a few other sprint car or midget races each year with cars that require some extra assistance getting started.

During the Little 500 its a tall ask for push truck drivers to be on their game and you can tell the trucks that should be out there from the others that probably shouldnt but at the end of the night, especially this year with the racing that took place. Everyone seemed, for the most part, satisfied.

Hopefully all goes well there.

Nate Bickel - @natefb22
RGraves (Offline)
  #35 7/14/16 1:16 AM
I'm dirt track racing fan. I go to wing, non-wing, midgets, and late model races all over the country. They're all different in their own ways. Overall midgets are midgets and will always be the best race cars to watch, but in my opinion LM's produce a better on track product than sprint cars when it comes to actual side-by-side quality racing. I love em all though and personally don't prefer one over the other. As far as big events go, the World 100 takes the cake and LM's at Knocville are something to see too. Also something about seeing the non-wing boys kill it at Kokomo and Perris Auto Speedway and the Outlaws qualifying at Pevely and Tulare. Love it!
3 Likes: chathamracefan, cwfan08, nathans1012
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #36 7/14/16 7:16 AM
Well made it to shadyhill last night and got rained out big time. Was looking forward to see my first late model race of the year, but now will probably have to wait until the world's hundred if I decide to go. One more thing to Chris. Anyone that knows me knows how much I love the 4 crown at Eldora. I was at the first one when they ran the full body usac stock cars, and been to almost all of them since. Your comment on both on the same card rings true, as my favorite 4 crowns were the ones that had the late models on the card. Got to see an amazing performance from Billy Moyer one year also got to see Hewitt, and even Huadenschild in a late model. This year's 4 crown with the addition of the all stars may end up being my favorite, but up till now, I really loved the ones with the late models.
chathamracefan (Offline)
  #37 7/14/16 8:58 AM
I'm another one of those love it all guys. I watch more late models than anything else because the Illinois tracks are dominated by that class. I've seen great racing at various times in wing, non wing, late models, midgets, mods, etc. I'm going to the Kings Royal for the first time Friday & Saturday. Otherwise, I'd probably be at Fairbury for the midget & late model show Saturday night.

I've always been into racing (my dad raced a stock car when I was a kid). Over the last 10 years or so, as my interest in Nascar fizzled, I'm pretty much an exclusive dirt fan. And it is all good!!
ISF (Offline)
  #38 7/14/16 9:38 AM
Originally Posted by chathamracefan:
I'm another one of those love it all guys. I watch more late models than anything else because the Illinois tracks are dominated by that class. I've seen great racing at various times in wing, non wing, late models, midgets, mods, etc. I'm going to the Kings Royal for the first time Friday & Saturday. Otherwise, I'd probably be at Fairbury for the midget & late model show Saturday night.

I've always been into racing (my dad raced a stock car when I was a kid). Over the last 10 years or so, as my interest in Nascar fizzled, I'm pretty much an exclusive dirt fan. And it is all good!!
crf, we're both in the same boat living here in dirt late model country. DLM racing is usually the only game in town, so when in Rome..................

We too like it all if it's on dirt.

Have a great time at the KR. I'm pretty sure you'll love it. It's been a few years since we've been able to attend and we miss it. I prefer the wingless cars but the KR is a race that transcends wings or no wings.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.