IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre haute action track ( rumor )
6/28/10, 6:28 AM   #21
Re: Terre haute action track ( rumor )
cowboyhar69

We are all spoiled. What place can you go and carry in your own food and beer? Baseball,Football,Basketball, Hockey,Concerts,Amusement Parks? I don't know of any. I went to a minor league baseball game a couple of weeks ago to watch a game that is not even affilated with any Major League team and you bought their refreshments. I might add though that they had a 25 cent hot dog night. I'm sure someone in their promotion department got a heck of a deal on the hot dogs as there were large signs advertising whose brand of hot dog it was and several announcements over the speakers talking about the brand.
With the exception of Lawrenceburg and Dave Rudisell having specials like that I can't think of any tracks that do that. This is one area that most tracks are lacking in a big way. You have to PROMOTE something special. I have to commend Terre Haute for offering the family infield package. More promoters need to realize that because a guy with 2 or 3 kids can't afford to go to the races. I sometimes wonder if they are satisfied with the crowds they get. Ever wonder why every restaurant around is offering a deal these days....to get some people in the place.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

6/28/10, 6:51 AM   #22
throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
We are all spoiled. What place can you go and carry in your own food and beer? Baseball,Football,Basketball, Hockey,Concerts,Amusement Parks? I don't know of any. I went to a minor league baseball game a couple of weeks ago to watch a game that is not even affilated with any Major League team and you bought their refreshments. I might add though that they had a 25 cent hot dog night. I'm sure someone in their promotion department got a heck of a deal on the hot dogs as there were large signs advertising whose brand of hot dog it was and several announcements over the speakers talking about the brand.
With the exception of Lawrenceburg and Dave Rudisell having specials like that I can't think of any tracks that do that. This is one area that most tracks are lacking in a big way. You have to PROMOTE something special. I have to commend Terre Haute for offering the family infield package. More promoters need to realize that because a guy with 2 or 3 kids can't afford to go to the races. I sometimes wonder if they are satisfied with the crowds they get. Ever wonder why every restaurant around is offering a deal these days....to get some people in the place.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Great American Ball Park in Cincinnatti allows you to bring a cooler with whatever you want in it, except alcohol...........it allows you to buy a little bit better seat and save the money on the concessions....i see a lot of folks utilize that privlidge......its great!

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
6/28/10, 8:53 AM   #23
bigq11

Anyone know for sure if the promoter or the fair board has control of, and receives any profits from, the concessions at Terre Haute?

6/28/10, 9:50 AM   #24
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Concessions..ticket prices...overhead...$$$$$ it's what it's about....some tracks seem to want more then others...your HARD earned dollars...the HARD CORE fan is gonna come regardless of price but the tracks are failing at the family end of it...I understand about coolers but some people like me have certain things they like (diet caffeine free soda). Most individuals or two buddy's that go to the track do not bother to bring in a cooler but your family man with his wife and kids needs a cooler...limit the size as the did in NASCAR...with only a six pack cooler EVERYBODY wins...you can only put so much in it and before heat races are done most likely so is the cooler...then people have no option...they have to go to the concession stand...to FILL the stands you have to help people out...we have a promoter down here that has went to $10 a carload....yep you heard it $10.00 and he had STANDING ROOM ONLY...sold out of beer and most everything else in the concession and he still aloud coolers of any size..some promoter do not have the in site to help out the fan in this time of need but you need to compete against everything else and make your event the most economical one to come to...

again the hard core fan is gonna come..promoters need that high school/college date...something to the fact of if you show me a student ID you and your date get in free..(they are not going to bring in a cooler)...the more you put in the stands the more the word is gonna get out..which equals FREE advertisement....."man what some good racing at the track this weekend"...PACK THE STANDS AND YOU WILL SUCCEED

5 members like this post: bpa94, Jimmydiesel, mowerman, Need For Speed, SPRINTCAR
6/28/10, 10:39 AM   #25
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
You are dead on about the infield at THAT. It is one of the best bargains out there. We have three teenagers, so it costs more now, but when they were little, all 5 of us could get into the infield for very little money. We were able to attend alot more races with the money we saved by sitting in the infield. THAT made up the difference in concessions. We brought a cooler in with drinks, but as you know, if you bring kids, going to the concessions is a must!!:2:

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
6/28/10, 11:27 AM   #26
RGardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloard View Post
The bottom line is that a track has to bring in a certain amount of money each night to make it float - and that number is directly relative to the amount of expenses. So, some tracks let you bring in coolers but maybe they skimp on something else, like a purse, or facility paint, or website or something else.

I'm a car owner, not a promoter.. but here we are on a thread about a track that hasn't been able to make it financially for awhile, already griping about potential revenue streams to make it float. As a car owner, I have about a $500 nut to crack every night - and I think that's bad. But the promoter has a $20,000 or more nut to crack. If that nut doesn't get cracked there isn't a track for me to race at.

For some reason we want to be able to go watch racing and pay $2 to get in, bring our own food and drink, pay $10 pit passes and expect the track to pay $5000 to win just because the promoter owes it to us as racers or race fans. Yet we have no problem walking into a movie and dropping $30, or the chain restaurant for a night out for $50, or my corner bar and dropping $20 without griping about it.

A track probably needs to make about $15-$20 profit in the grandstands to crack that weekly nut and show a fair return on the investment and risk. Whether that $15 profit comes from a $10 admission and over-priced food and beer, or $15 admission and letting you walk in with your own drinks really doesn't matter. What matters is that enough revenue was generated to make the show work out financially.

I bet there are a lot of fans with nearby tracks that are closed that wish they would have willingly paid that extra $2 admission for a special show or bought that bag of popcorn. A race track is a business - we might care more about the business than a different business in town - but it's a business and I don't begrudge a promoter trying to make a buck at it.... Unless I'm willing to step up and cover the losses on a week he doesn't.
You hit it right on the head! Support your local track, you never know if you might show up one night and it isn't there anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

7 members like this post: awnunn, BrentTFunk, IndyBound, JEFFSTOY, mowerman, T&A Racing, v8j
6/28/10, 12:00 PM   #27
SPRINTCAR

For some reason we want to be able to go watch racing and pay $2 to get in, bring our own food and drink, pay $10 pit passes and expect the track to pay $5000 to win just because the promoter owes it to us as racers or race fans.

Who said that? $2.00

Yet we have no problem walking into a movie and dropping $30, or the chain restaurant for a night out for $50, or my corner bar and dropping $20 without griping about it.

Don't go to movies, I do eat and drink!

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, JEFFSTOY, mowerman, v8j
6/28/10, 12:17 PM   #28
terrehautian

I haven't heard of the O'conners, but have heard that a certain promoter that can run a track has expressed interest in running THAT. I can't mention the name of the person I heard it from (as I talked to this person at some place where I didn't ask a name) or am I not going to mention the name of the promoter. But if this promoter does take it over, it will be a good thing.

6/28/10, 12:49 PM   #29
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrehautian View Post
I haven't heard of the O'conners, but have heard that a certain promoter that can run a track has expressed interest in running THAT. I can't mention the name of the person I heard it from (as I talked to this person at some place where I didn't ask a name) or am I not going to mention the name of the promoter. But if this promoter does take it over, it will be a good thing.
Can you get more specific...............

6/28/10, 12:51 PM   #30
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrehautian View Post
please tell me your not talking abour sargent... thats who i heard...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre haute action track ( rumor )