IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #21 12/5/20 10:54 AM
UPDATE from the Bloomsburg Fair Facebook page.

�� A brand-new, one-million-dollar dirt track designed by USAC star Levi Jones coming to Pennsylvania? Yes, it's true. ▪️Work has already begun on the banked, three-eighths-mile Bloomsburg Fair Raceway on the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds. And we've been invited to race on it.

Look for the Rapid Tire Service USAC East Coast Series to hit the all new Bloomsburg Fair Speedway on May 29th and on August 7th.

The Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series (STSS) Fueled By Sunoco North Region Big Block Modifieds and Crate 602 Sportsman will take part in the Battle at Bloomsburg Wednesday, July 14. ❗️Save the date.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #22 12/5/20 11:09 AM
Cinder tracks for Speedway Motorcycles, including England, have pretty much been gone for decades.
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #23 12/5/20 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
Scott Dalosio may be able to chime in on this but I believe a lot of Speedway Motorcycle tracks are cinder in GB and Europe. That may be why the bikes have mudflaps (or cinderflaps )nowadays...
Cinder tracks for speedway motorcycles have pretty much been gone for decades, including in England, have pretty much been gone for decades. Even when I was in England shooting speedway in the 1980s It was on shale. A little bit bigger than the decomposed granite used on tracks in the USA, that stuff hurt like crazy when it hit you in the face. Seven or eight years ago a friend of mine promoted a speedway track in Las Vegas that had a cinder surface. It looked crazy. Unfortunately some issues among the partnership forced the track to close after just a few weeks. It would have been interesting to see how the racing would have been if they ever got a full field of first division riders on it. The flaps on the rear wheels in speedway motorcycles today are there just to keep the dirt on the race tracks. It’s a money saver for the promoters.
jjones752 (Offline)
  #24 12/5/20 12:44 PM
Thanks for the excellent clarification Scott, even the economic reasons for the mudflap; I had no idea...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97