IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
cmakin (Offline)
  #21 9/22/08 8:14 AM
Yup, that is what I recall.

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
bigmojo5
  #22 9/22/08 8:23 AM
I wondered how quickly it would take for "None of the Above" to take the lead.

I think No. 2 looks like a supermodified. No. 5 looks like the old Foyt Coyote with a bubble tank on the back rather than a wing. That's kinda what I expected the original New Generation Silver Crown car to look like.

And, I agree that a Silver Crown car should look like the ones driven by Bettenhausen, Foyt, Carter and Andretti in the 1970s. Those were beautiful cars, but technology has changed drastically since them.
In an interview after Saturday night's midget win, Yeley said that in the five years he's been away from sprint and midget racing, nothing that worked then on chassis set up works now. Everything changes.
What must change for Silver Crown is attracting more cars, and most importantly, more fans.
Jim Morrison
bherzog513 (Offline)
  #23 9/22/08 8:33 AM
Wheres the wing on the new car design? How are you going to bridge the gap to nascar if you have no wing. Also are these cars going to be rear steered like a late model? All of the cup cars are so wouldn't that also play into the scenario?:kookoo
Russell Ficklin (Offline)
  #24 9/22/08 9:54 AM
My vote is for none of the above.
jontheturboguy (Offline)
  #25 9/22/08 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by skids59:
I dont care for any of them either.
My avatar is how a "Gold Crown" car should look. JMO:thumb
Exactly.

See other great examples here:

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=9619

USAC, are you listening?

LEAVE THE SILVER CROWN CARS ALONE.
Racer12 (Offline)
  #26 9/22/08 1:07 PM
I like the nose on #8 and the side pods on #14. Anything is better than what it was before.

Bob Shutt
lazyifoto (Offline)
  #27 9/22/08 2:59 PM
Why go to all this trouble? If your going to do this just build something closer to the Osewgo / Sandusky style supermods for pavement tracks and keep the Silver crown car for dirt. At least this way you bring in talent from other forms of racing. Silvercrown cars need better promotion, they don't need to be re-invented.
jontheturboguy (Offline)
  #28 9/23/08 7:35 AM
Originally Posted by Racer12:
I like the nose on #8 and the side pods on #14. Anything is better than what it was before.

Bob Shutt
Define "before" Bob?

Before we went back to real Silver Crown cars, or before as in before USAC screwed them up the first time with wings and side pods?
cmakin (Offline)
  #29 9/23/08 7:41 AM
A always liked the look of this Drinan car from back in 2003.

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
Racerrob (Offline)
  #30 9/23/08 8:19 AM
Originally Posted by :
In 1979, USAC denied several of the upstart CART series entries' to the 1979 Indianapolis 500. The ongoing controversy saw a court injunction during the month, and the day before the race, a special auxiliary time trials session was held, to allow those denied a chance to qualify for the field. Two cars were added to the back of the pack, bringing the total number of starters to 35 (up from the traditional 33).
Pretty close but a little off. The auxiliary session was held because of rampant cheating of the "pop off valve" by many teams not because the CART teams were not allowed to participate. The CART team matter was settled before practice began. The pop off valve was supposed to limit the amount of boost (turbocharger manifold pressure) each team could run. Many teams found ways to override the pop off valve dramatically increasing horsepower. Because USAC officials could not determine who had cheated and who had not, all cars that were bumped from the field were allowed a chance to requalify on that Saturday.

We had previously had our '77 Lightning bumped with Joe Saldana driving but got smart :wink and put Little Joe in the field in our 1972 Eagle backup at 7th quickest overall. When they announced that they would have an auxiliary qualifying session Oldtimer found George Snider in Foyt's garage and offered him the ride in the '77 Lightning.

We didn't have time to fit Snider in the car so he had to practice and qualify it with Joe's pedal position. Joe was about 5'6" and George was well over 6'. He made about 5 practice laps and we rolled into qualifying line. On the 3rd lap coming out of 4 he smacked the wall but continued the run. The 4th lap was considerably slower but the 4 lap average was fast enough to make the field, making us one of the extra starters. The right side wheels had cracked from the wall contact and the tires went completely flat during the qualifying photo session.

Rob Hoffman