IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ronmil (Offline)
  #21 5/16/15 2:46 PM
Originally Posted by Midget 89:
IndyCar site says qualifications have indeed been moved to Sunday, Ron. Two cars had qualified. Are they the only ones with a shot at the pole? I'll do some checking.

The fast nine qualifiers are the ones that are the eligible for the pole. In the old days, the fastest car on the first day got the pole, irregardless of how many actually made attempts. Remember 1955, when the hot dogs make a pact not to attempt to qualify because of the high winds, but they forgot to tell Jerry Hoyt? He started on the pole as a result.

Ron Miller
5 Likes: Charles Nungester, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, kart31rac, speed bump
Midget 89 (Offline)
  #22 5/16/15 2:46 PM
Looks like everyone gets one time through the line. The fast nine then get a shot at the pole.

#23 5/16/15 2:59 PM
The old rule made for some interesting scenarios. I remember being at the track for pole day in 1969 and it rained virtually the entire day. Jigger Sirois did go out and make a run, but his crew felt he was too slow, and waved it off. As it turned out, he would have been the only qualifier and would have started on the pole, with what would have most likely been the slowest speed in the field.

Ron Miller
4 Likes: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, racing2bwithu2, speed bump
Midget 89 (Offline)
  #24 5/16/15 4:26 PM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
The old rule made for some interesting scenarios. I remember being at the track for pole day in 1969 and it rained virtually the entire day. Jigger Sirois did go out and make a run, but his crew felt he was too slow, and waved it off. As it turned out, he would have been the only qualifier and would have started on the pole, with what would have most likely been the slowest speed in the field.
As it turned out, poor Jigger never made the field. Rookie Bruce Walkup brought up the rear with a time of 163.9.
4 Likes: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, racing2bwithu2, ronmil
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #25 5/16/15 5:04 PM
Since today's qualifying was rained out, here is the format for tomorrow. Make sure to follow along with our Twitter @byrdracing for live team updates.

PLEASE SHARE!

Practice (streaming on racecontrol.indycar.com)

8 - 8:20 am (Group One Practice, Bryan will run in this one)
8:20 - 8:40 am (Group Two Practice)

Qualifying

10 am - 1 pm (All cars, 1 attempt, positions 10-30 are locked)
Televised on ESPN 3 or watchespn.com

1:45 - 2:30 pm (Fast 9)
Televised Live on ABC from 1-3 pm

3:00 - 3:45 pm (Positions 31-33, 1 guaranteed attempt, can attempt more than once if time allows)
Televised on ESPN3 or watchespn.com

All times Eastern

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: CRA91, DirtHawk92, i love dirt track racing, luckybuc97
ronmil (Offline)
  #26 5/16/15 7:17 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Since today's qualifying was rained out, here is the format for tomorrow. Make sure to follow along with our Twitter @byrdracing for live team updates.

PLEASE SHARE!

Practice (streaming on racecontrol.indycar.com)

8 - 8:20 am (Group One Practice, Bryan will run in this one)
8:20 - 8:40 am (Group Two Practice)

Qualifying

10 am - 1 pm (All cars, 1 attempt, positions 10-30 are locked)
Televised on ESPN 3 or watchespn.com

1:45 - 2:30 pm (Fast 9)
Televised Live on ABC from 1-3 pm

3:00 - 3:45 pm (Positions 31-33, 1 guaranteed attempt, can attempt more than once if time allows)
Televised on ESPN3 or watchespn.com

All times Eastern
Probably have to watch this Pole Day on the tube due to my puny condition!

Ron Miller
Action Tracker (Offline)
  #27 5/16/15 8:12 PM
ABC said that morning qualifying will be on ESPN 3 or ESPN Watch. Are either of those on cable?
  #28 5/17/15 9:56 AM
No they are streamed and you have to have use your log on to your cable/satellite account to get it.

Charles Nungester
  #29 5/17/15 11:59 AM
New Schedule on Jbyrds facebook for todays qualifying

http://www.facebook.com/jonathanbyrd...if_t=notify_me

Charles Nungester
  #30 5/17/15 2:22 PM
Qualifying will be on ESPN NEWS Channel at 3:00pm

Charles Nungester