IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #21 1/21/15 3:53 PM
The track was sold to a gentleman from the Hopkinsville, KY area in late 2013. They have put a lot of work in to getting the rocks out of the track surface and building the participant and spectator base back up. Like any business that has been closed for close to 5 years, it is an uphill battle. It is a good facility with nice seating and pretty easy to get to, with good interstate access. Concessions are pretty good, but are a little on the pricey side.
JJMooney (Offline)
  #22 1/21/15 4:20 PM
I’ve been to Kentucky Lake twice. The first was for a March midget/sprint doubleheader in ‘98 won by Bruce Donaldson (MARA midgets) and Gary Hayhurst Jr (W410). The other time was an MSCS show won by Will Newlin in 2002. Pretty sure that MSCS show was the last time sprints were there. It’s a neat place.
miledirt (Offline)
  #23 1/21/15 4:33 PM
If I remember correctly, it seems that they made a decision last year to allow small coolers
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #24 1/21/15 5:09 PM
I went to an Outlaw show there when they first opened up years ago and it was a dust bowl. I would assume that they have dirt figured out by now. But it is a neat track and was fast as hell.
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #25 1/21/15 9:42 PM
Kenny Biro was hurt bad in the last Sprint Car appearance in the Mid-2000s.
Kellen Conover (Offline)
  #26 1/21/15 9:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Kenny was hurt at Paducah Kentucky, not Kentucky lake.
JJMooney (Offline)
  #27 1/21/15 9:46 PM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
Kenny Biro was hurt bad in the last Sprint Car appearance in the Mid-2000s.
That was at Paducah Intl Raceway
Kellen Conover (Offline)
  #28 1/22/15 10:13 AM
It's a great facility, I remember going the opening year and watching a 50 lap super late model race go green, white, checkered. I believe they are struggling with the location, as they are under strict rules by the local courts and had to have their schedule approved before releasing. They posted a very interesting story on their Facebook feed today how they asked for a 30 minute extension to their curfew (which is 11:30 pm) and the court wouldn't rule without public input. It's a very risky venture and I really hope the best for the new owners as they have put a lot of effort into it.