IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Joey Woods (Offline)
  #21 10/10/14 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=DAD;394949]Bn

"As I was saying go kart racers will buy into anything. "

Do yourself a favor and don't say that anymore. Not only is that statement rediculous it can be said about any form of racing.

"How much prep does it take to hook up a single cylinder 5 Horsepower Motor."

Prepping tires has very little to do with the amount of horsepower or engine size. (I.e. Prepping front tires is just as important as prepping rears if not more important)

"The Snake Oil people are big Kart supporters? "

WHAT????

"you can't have both traction and long life no matter what they tell you. "

Spinning tires wear better than non spinning tires?

"They would probably be pushing traction control on Karts but every time the TC Killed a cylinder to stop wheel spin the poor guy would have to get out and restart his race car."

Why do you hate kart racing so bad? I don't get the continuous cheap shots. Maybe you should attend one of the Burriss events or one like it.

"Traction control is secret so all they have to do is imply that so and so is using it, maybe start a rumor"

You should learn a bit more about TC. It takes a talented driver to even gain an advantage with it. It also can easily be a big disadvantage. It's not going to take your average racer and put him in the W column. In the right hands yes, it would be like an active steady home run hitter adding steroids to their game. Like steroids it should be banned!

P.S. Your previous comment about a hone being used on karts to bore out the inside diameter of the header pipe was total BS also. I think what you're referring to was removing any carbon build up or surface rust from week to week to create a smoother exhaust flow. The flowbench proved this to be a small benefit back when straight pipes were popular.
4 Likes: DAD, fish, jjracer636, Kart#51
Bill84 (Offline)
  #22 10/10/14 6:47 AM
A long time ago I was driving for a guy who was telling me how gullible racers were. To prove his point, he got one of those rods with a huge turnbuckle on it and welded it into his late model. One end was attached to the roll cage behind the driver's head, the other end went out through the floor on the passenger side. That end of the rod wasn't attached to anything. Every time the car came into the pits, he would adjust the turnbuckle. Within two weeks, a dozen other cars had rods with turnbuckles welded into their cars.

Bill
4 Likes: DAD, davidm, jjracer636, Joey Woods
Kart#51 (Online)
  #23 10/10/14 8:48 AM
One rule of racing that must be understood at all times:
-It is a Monkey see; Monkey do sport. This goes for all levels and it has trickle down effect all the way down from F1.
To quote the great Karl Kinser " If I put a turd on the hood everyone would have one on their hood next week."

As far as the prep, I'm not advocate of it, but if you're going to be up front in karting you better be on it or you'll be .2-.5 tenths off the pace. Thats the reality of it. Tire prep makes a big difference whether you want to believe it or not.
2 Likes: DAD, i love dirt track racing
DAD (Offline)
  #24 10/10/14 9:25 AM
Kart

We get about the same benefit out of a new Right Rear tire, on our car. Could a middle of the pack racer start using "Dope" and move to the front with just the aide of that stuff. I bet Burris has a new tire that would do almost the same thing at a price. Sprint car racers have but a few compounds to choose from, how many does Burris offer now?

A sprint car on a good night will destroy a brand new RR tire. We were given a "Doped" RR one time and ate it up in 10 laps on our little underpowered car, That's probably why the guy gave it to us.

I think I will continue to bet on the "Jockey" instead of brands of "Dope".

Do you guys race with Kurtis Potter?

Honest Dad himself
billyb (Offline)
  #25 10/10/14 10:48 AM
If everyone done it, it wouldn't be an advantage, Right?
DAD (Offline)
  #26 10/10/14 11:00 AM
[quote=Joey Woods;394977]
Originally Posted by DAD:
Bn

"As I was saying go kart racers will buy into anything. "

Do yourself a favor and don't say that anymore. Not only is that statement rediculous it can be said about any form of racing.

"How much prep does it take to hook up a single cylinder 5 Horsepower Motor."

Prepping tires has very little to do with the amount of horsepower or engine size. (I.e. Prepping front tires is just as important as prepping rears if not more important)

"The Snake Oil people are big Kart supporters? "

WHAT????

"you can't have both traction and long life no matter what they tell you. "

Spinning tires wear better than non spinning tires?

"They would probably be pushing traction control on Karts but every time the TC Killed a cylinder to stop wheel spin the poor guy would have to get out and restart his race car."

Why do you hate kart racing so bad? I don't get the continuous cheap shots. Maybe you should attend one of the Burriss events or one like it.

"Traction control is secret so all they have to do is imply that so and so is using it, maybe start a rumor"

You should learn a bit more about TC. It takes a talented driver to even gain an advantage with it. It also can easily be a big disadvantage. It's not going to take your average racer and put him in the W column. In the right hands yes, it would be like an active steady home run hitter adding steroids to their game. Like steroids it should be banned!

P.S. Your previous comment about a hone being used on karts to bore out the inside diameter of the header pipe was total BS also. I think what you're referring to was removing any carbon build up or surface rust from week to week to create a smoother exhaust flow. The flowbench proved this to be a small benefit back when straight pipes were popular.
Joey

I didn't intend for my remarks to be taken as cheap shots at Go Kart Racers. They were made with a little smile on my face and not a smirk. They weren't made with Kart racers or Sprint Car racers in mind they were perhaps made with human being in general in mind. People are all the same, Lately we seem to have divided ourselves into two camps but when push comes to shove we are all tend to be alike.

I have been around a few years and have witnessed a lot in these years. Some good and some bad and some just plain Funny.

I started racing in Quarter Midgets in 1957, and soon out grew them little things and moved up or over to Micros when "Cushman" was King. I soon got to the point that my dad couldn't push start me (We didn't have push trucks, just push people) and was told I would have to retire.

Go Karting had just begun to flourish and I do mean flourish in the USA back at that time so I went to Go Karts. My first Kart was a Bug with a Power products AH58 motor powering it and I though I was Hot Sh1t. My last kart was a Home built 65 pound light weight with a West Bend 820 on it. That thing darned near killed me. I went back to Quarter Midget racing as a handler for several years, went to College and dropped out of racing for about 10 years or so. I got back into racing helping an old Micro friend Bill Felker race his son AJ. We also became very interested in those things but at the time my son was too young at to drive one so we started back into Go Karts where I was introduced to the "Fuller Brush" tail pipe salesman.

People are people and Go Karters are racers, Karts are usually entry level racing and as such has more than it's share of people selling gimmicks. I was born in Kentucky and moved to Indiana. I have heard most of the Kentucky jokes and Hoosier jokes also and try not to take offense to any of them. In racing we make jokes about other classes in life we make jokes about of other races, other religions and other political views, but that is Human nature and no amount of political correctness will ever change that, Even the political correct people occasionally let down their guard and get caught showing their true nature.

As an observer of Human nature I Love it.

We race for fun. Our big enjoyment beside a win ever so often is "Data Acquisition" Like watching people it is neat to watch you engine and race car to see what it is doing and make changes to see if it helps. We call it racing ourselves, them other guys are too hard to beat. Our latest system actually sends the info up to the clouds and when we get it all up and running I can sit in the bleachers and watch things in real time, ala Mr Fleetwood.

Unfortunately or fortunately for my driver it does not allow me to give commands back to the race car. Can you imagine the drivers surprise when he dives down into the turn and some guy siting in the bleachers has just unloaded his left rear tire.

I don't think even the most advanced traction control company have introduced sideline control nor do I think they would want to.
We as humans are always looking for that guy with an advantage over us and want to call him out on it. Because we were running Data Acquisition 15 years ago we had a fellow racer that swore up and down that I was changing the set up from the sidelines, not that I was smart enough to do that, but that was his feelings.

Human Nature Is Human Nature!!!

If you race Karts and you feel it takes "Dope" to win and they have not made a rule against it, by all means "DOPE IT UP" and have at it.

Honest Dad himself
2 Likes: Joey Woods, mc/rider
Joey Woods (Offline)
  #27 10/10/14 12:45 PM
I don't race karts. I used too. I just attend a few races when I can. My lil brother, Kevin Weldon, races karts though
DAD (Offline)
  #28 10/10/14 12:58 PM
Joey

I enjoy tri-cycle racing when the competition is determined and the racing is close. I have witnessed some real good racing right in my own back yard.

Honest Dad himself
Kart#51 (Online)
  #29 10/10/14 1:21 PM
Originally Posted by Joey Woods:
I don't race karts. I used too. I just attend a few races when I can. My lil brother, Kevin Weldon, races karts though
Thats one serious go karter right there!! KW can wheel it and knows his stuff! His brother in-law is turning into a good wheelman too. He gets better every time I see him at the Knoxville Nationals.
Joey Woods (Offline)
  #30 10/10/14 2:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kart#51:
Thats one serious go karter right there!! KW can wheel it and knows his stuff! His brother in-law is turning into a good wheelman too. He gets better every time I see him at the Knoxville Nationals.
Yep yep for sure. Skyler (Prochaska) is badass. Hated he had car trouble at Knoxville this year. Skyler is another guy that went straight from karts to Sprint cars and won some features in his rookie season at Husets.

I hated to see Kevin move to Aberdeen but the kart deal he was offered by the Humphrey's was something he couldn't pass up.