IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #21 6/17/14 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan:
Save $20 and park in East St Louis. It is only a mile or so from the track, with plenty of free parking.
I don't care who You are, Thats funny, right there............

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: Kinser11, red70racer
red70racer (Offline)
  #22 6/17/14 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Speedyk:
So does the Silver Crown have the ability to get back to what it once was? Or I guess a more relevant question, at least to me, is will it get bad enough where the Silver Crown cars will cease to compete at all. Although it may take me an extreme amount of time, due to budget (or lack thereof), the thought of owning one of these machines is something that could be a possibility, but I am worried about sinking that much money into something that might end up not being able to race anywhere. If it were a sprint car, I could just change a few things and go anywhere, but these are definitely specific.
SpeedyK,
This is why I posted this. I guess my style upset some. I was trying to get some dialog going about where Silver Crown racing is today, bringing 14 cars (1 didn't start)to a premier showcase facility should have everyone outraged
I like you am worried about the state of Silver Crown racing. I'm a fan, I've done mechanic work on Silver Crown cars and think it is a real cool form of racing
The up side of what you are thinking about, with the exception of the clutch and a couple of drive line components everything will change over to a sprint car
red70racer (Offline)
  #23 6/17/14 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by midget96:
red70racer (or anyone else that doesn't have one) I have a idea but we must work together. We are building a dirt crown car now (to help with car count) and are wanting to put together a pavement crown car (to help with car count).

Actually I think we have the trophy for the most under funded team ever to try this - but WE LOVE THIS DIVISION and are going to try it.

SO - contact me and bring you wallet and help with the car count problem. I have the engine and have a pavement car sitting right beside my dirt car that just maybe can be had. LORP is July 24th so hurry.

Thank You for your support
GSR # 96
Midget 96, I am NOT dissing on you or any other car owner or driver, I tried to make that clear in my post. My issue is the state of Silver Crown racing is in trouble and all fingers point to the sanctioning body
It's America, you have every right to put a Silver Crown car together and I applaud your efforts
I have enough race cars to spend my money on, my brother has a Silver Crown car sitting fresh and ready to race, which has sat for a number of years due to the craziness
Again, not picking on you or any of the folks who participated
Tim (Offline)
  #24 6/17/14 1:12 PM
Originally Posted by Speedyk:
So does the Silver Crown have the ability to get back to what it once was? Or I guess a more relevant question, at least to me, is will it get bad enough where the Silver Crown cars will cease to compete at all. Although it may take me an extreme amount of time, due to budget (or lack thereof), the thought of owning one of these machines is something that could be a possibility, but I am worried about sinking that much money into something that might end up not being able to race anywhere. If it were a sprint car, I could just change a few things and go anywhere, but these are definitely specific.
I can only speak about our program as it relates to this question. We, too, were apprehensive about going into this until we did some research, but this is what we've discovered:

Motor-wise, we're running a -12 motor. With some changes it could be an ASCS motor, so the motor is not a complete loss if the program doesn't continue. The rest of the car is, essentially, sprint car stuff, with the exception of the chassis, the clutch setup, and the tail tank. The front axle (bare) is fit for this car but it is a 52" axle with pickup points set for the Silver Crown chassis we have. The other stuff we have that is Silver Crown only is the starter and the radios.

All this to say, after we looked at it we probably have around $8K invested in "Silver Crown" only equipment which, thanks to the Good Lord is affordable to us. This was something we've wanted to do for a long time and, even though the learning curve is steep, I'm having a good time and hope to continue with these cars for the foreseeable future.

Tim Simmons
7 Likes: HardyBoysRacing, hbmundy, ISF, red70racer, SC90, Speedyk, team3521
HardyBoysRacing (Offline)
  #25 6/18/14 5:58 PM
I agree that the 14 cars was not good, but look at the car counts all season besides that. 22 cars at IRP, 22 cars at Terre Haute (2 were scheduled to run but didn't get ready in time), and 26 cars at the Indy fairgrounds. The pavement cars are a hard fix, most don't want to have to buy 2 cars, 1 dirt and 1 pavement and the pavement races can be a little long at times. Truth is, Andy Hillenburg is doing whatever he can to fix this series, and has went above and beyond to try and save it. He has called as many owners as he can and tried however he can to get them back. Just like said before in this post, Rome was not built in a day and he cannot do it alone. I support him and support this series in any way possible.

Now with that being said, Red70Racer watch for the car count for the Tony Bettenhausen 100. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. This series isn't on it's death bed yet.
3 Likes: dirtcarfan, SC90, SpfldMile
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #26 6/18/14 8:40 PM
Just like I told Don Moore......If you can do better then start your own. Has USAC made mistakes....Absolutely. Have I bitched and moaned about them.....Absolutely. Does that mean it's all USACS fault.......Nope. Pointing fingers and throwing stones is counter productive. I'm the first to admit my guilt.

The problems that exist have nothing to do with the cars, drivers, or USAC themselves. What you see is a symptom and not the disease.

The model as it is right now can work....but it's a 2-3 year fix.

Don't give me any of this one car bull either because there are plenty of Pavement cars sitting. Everything costs exactly the same to run as a dirt car except two things and they both start with the letter T. There were pavement races at the same time there were dirt races in the 90's and 2000's that had 40 plus cars so having two cars isn't the problem.

By the way....if it is so important to the people who say they want to see these types of cars at the Speedway and other places like that...then why don't you go and support it right now? 30 to 50 thousand people get the attention of promoters.

While I think Jeff was off base...at least he went and took others with him.
2 Likes: fish, SC90
Kinser11 (Offline)
  #27 6/18/14 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE:

Don't give me any of this one car bull either because there are plenty of Pavement cars sitting. Everything costs exactly the same to run as a dirt car except two things and they both start with the letter T. There were pavement races at the same time there were dirt races in the 90's and 2000's that had 40 plus cars so having two cars isn't the problem.

By the way....if it is so important to the people who say they want to see these types of cars at the Speedway and other places like that...then why don't you go and support it right now? 30 to 50 thousand people get the attention of promoters.

While I think Jeff was off base...at least he went and took others with him.
Wasn't the attendance getting thin in the 90's and 2000's, for the purses promoters were required?

I wonder if their is 30 to 50 thousand, people alive today that has seen a silver crown race in person. That generation got old for no apparent reason, and started dying off.
dirtcarfan (Offline)
  #28 6/19/14 10:19 AM
red70racer, the mistake you made is taking NASCAR fans to a pavement race. When you're used to 43 cars that bump and bang and then see 14 that run nose to tail, I wouldn't be impressed either. There's nothing prettier than a dirt car on the gas, sliding through the corners, with a driver trying to control something that's out of control. Oh yeah, ON DIRT!! GO SUPPORT THIS SERIES AND STOP THE COMPLAINING!!