IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #21 9/2/12 11:11 AM
This could probably be a new thread question but it is about the Duquoin race.
Could the race draw enough crowd with out the fair to be considered successful?
I know it has been held on rain dates and I thought there was a pretty good crowd.

I have noticed from attending the race and fair that a lot of Illinois businesses advertise at the fair and get their marketing message out. Could there be some businesses that would find it an opportunity to make sure the Silver Crown race happens or even hold another race at the track earlier in the year?

I hate seeing the event go unheld.
ronmil (Offline)
  #22 9/2/12 11:38 AM
Just called the DuQuoin box office, and it is official that the race is cancelled and will not be rescheduled. I asked if the ARCA race would be rescheduled if it were rained out, and she replied that she was sure it would be. I told her that it looks like USAC doesn't want the Silver Crown series or the older fans. She didn't disagree.
I have gone every year since 1965 and really hate to see what has happened in the last few years.
There used to be more than one Silver Crown race a year. I attended one on May 31, 1980; that may have been the day Gary Bettenhausen dove into the lagoon to cool off. At any rate, stand alone dates have been successful. I don't really have any idea whether the fair generates much of a walk up attendance. I doubt that it is very much; race fans are race fans and fair fans are fair fans. I do like the atmosphere that a fair generates and the food is good.
There are some interesting booths and sideshows, but, I understand the tatooed lady has had a substantial drop in business.

Ron Miller
5 Likes: dirtball, jim goerge, luckybuc97, Mud Packer
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #23 9/2/12 12:16 PM
I still think some type of Silver Crown Race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in conjunction with the 500 or 500 qualifying would be a huge shot in the arm.
It would would be a way for area advertisers and competetors to be involved with out spending millions.
Make tires that would work and not a special pavement totally car.
It would be somewhat retro yet popular if advertised properly. Many American drivers, business promotions day, family get togethers at the track and a very one of a kind racing event.
brc (Offline)
  #24 9/2/12 12:18 PM
I am sure only the race promoter that actually has to front the money for these events would only know what the logistics are involved in having a successful,money making event. It seems over the last 5-6 years with the economy tanking here in the good 'ol USA,that races are much more easily 'rained out' ,regardless of what part of the country you are in,than say what they were 10 years ago.Maybe I am goofier than a blue coon,in thinking this. One year that this event isn't held,,seems to make the chances of next years race have even less attendees,from my umpteen years of attending races.
Haven't had a drop of rain all summer,,,here in Illinois,,and on Labor Day Weekend it doesnt stop,,for three days,Go figure.

Take Care,
BC
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #25 9/2/12 12:46 PM
BRC is probably right on the money. I suppose there are a lot of resources gained by having the event with the fair also.
coondog (Offline)
  #26 9/2/12 4:21 PM
Ron,

Im not sure I understand your comment that you made to the woman at the box office about USAC not wanting Crown cars or fans. USAC does not cancel the race or decide if there is a make up. That is up to the promoter. USAC loses money when races are cancelled and not made up. Less money goes into the point fund as well. Its one thing if USAC is promoting their own race obviously. Fans should be calling the promotion company and complaining to them that they want to see a make up date.

It seems everytime a race gets cancelled, USAC is to blame for it or blamed for no make up. If there is a date that works, it will get made up on USACs side of it. Look at the MI Sprint Car event, Terre Haute SC event, Pontoon Beach Sprint Car event. If the promoter wanted to reschedule a race during the week, USAC would do it.
9 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirtball, fish, John P Huss, Modocer 57, opnwhlmnd, Pat O'Connor Fan, RACEMS41, Vukie
miledirt (Offline)
  #27 9/2/12 4:30 PM
Originally Posted by coondog:
Ron,

Im not sure I understand your comment that you made to the woman at the box office about USAC not wanting Crown cars or fans. USAC does not cancel the race or decide if there is a make up. That is up to the promoter. USAC loses money when races are cancelled and not made up. Less money goes into the point fund as well. Its one thing if USAC is promoting their own race obviously. Fans should be calling the promotion company and complaining to them that they want to see a make up date.

It seems everytime a race gets cancelled, USAC is to blame for it or blamed for no make up. If there is a date that works, it will get made up on USACs side of it. Look at the MI Sprint Car event, Terre Haute SC event, Pontoon Beach Sprint Car event. If the promoter wanted to reschedule a race during the week, USAC would do it.
Good word Coondog. I guess TrackEnterprises just doesn't think he can get a good enough car count without the fair. Total bummer for me... Let's just hope that USAC does handle the things that they can handle to get the car count back up.
Jonr (Offline)
  #28 9/2/12 5:05 PM
I hate all of the conspiracy theorist on this board. If Silver Crown cars consistenly made money for promoters, more promoters would have them. If stand alone dates consistently made money for the promoters, the promoters would have them. Everyone states that USAC does nothing for the Silver Crown cars, but the last time they took a big swing to modernize the series, everyone revolted.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, Dwayne, fish, RACEMS41, Vukie
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #29 9/2/12 5:26 PM
I think more creative ideas on the promotion side may help the series rather than the technical(car) side.

I remember in the early 1980's there was a "Dream Event" held for Silver Crown cars at Springfield with a huge crowd. Kind of a WOO and USAC event. Was a fun event.

Why not a similar event at the INDY mile with some NASCAR drivers, INDY drivers, and the USAC regulars, make it a big deal and advertise it. Find ways to get word out to those who have never attended. I don't think you can just advertise on 6-10pm news anymore.
If sponsors could be found try some new type events, with the same cars.
mr nobody (Offline)
  #30 9/2/12 6:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
I hate all of the conspiracy theorist on this board. If Silver Crown cars consistenly made money for promoters, more promoters would have them. If stand alone dates consistently made money for the promoters, the promoters would have them. Everyone states that USAC does nothing for the Silver Crown cars, but the last time they took a big swing to modernize the series, everyone revolted.

Probably because they bastardized a ton of cars, forced the new things down owners throats, and split an already divided series into two seperate series. That never worked for Indy style cars and it D*MN sure didn't work with the Silver Crown cars.
7 Likes: dirtball, Jerry Spencer, mowerman, Mud Packer, Pat O'Connor Fan, RACEMS41, racephoto1