IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Vukie (Offline)
  #21 7/9/11 9:29 AM
"F) Not understand how sprint car racing has historically been tied to the Indy 500, or not be concerned about the fact that it's not anymore"

Not true but believe what you want. There was no sprint car racing in 1911. All of the early races were street races and those races were on dirt roads.

Example from the early days. http://www.champcarstats.com/year/1911.htm
2 Likes: duggerdirt44
Tim Watson (Offline)
  #22 7/9/11 9:29 AM
I never complain about support classes and i was not in attendance last night but have been to Sprintweek the last 3 or 4 years and i can't remember if they ran support classes the last few years, can someone re-fresh my memory.
Rogue-9 (Offline)
  #23 7/9/11 9:45 AM
Originally Posted by Vukie:
"F) Not understand how sprint car racing has historically been tied to the Indy 500, or not be concerned about the fact that it's not anymore"

Not true but believe what you want. There was no sprint car racing in 1911. All of the early races were street races and those races were on dirt roads.

1950's 1960's and 1970's, huge ties. He never said they were tied from the beginning, just historically. Ever heard of AJ Foyt, or Bobby Unser?
deannalynn
  #24 7/9/11 9:48 AM
Originally Posted by Rogue-9:
1950's 1960's and 1970's, huge ties. He never said they were tied from the beginning, just historically. Ever heard of AJ Foyt, or Bobby Unser?
Rogue, I appreciate your efforts to educate Vukie, however I don't think there's any hope for him. He's been on this forum long enough that if certain connections haven't clicked for him by now, they never will. Sadly, his thought process is a common one in racing 'fandom'. His attitude is the reason why you can't go to the Indy 500 and see too many USAC drivers, nor can you go to a local race on the weekend and see very many guys that were in the 500. Many of us know how USAC drivers used to be a part of Indy marketing and short track marketing, but the powers that be have allowed Vukie's attitude to prevail in decision making. There are more of him than there are of us, and they fill more seats. I have done a little homework and discovered that catering to this type of fan has actually led to the "Rule of Fenders" in the racing world. Catering to this type of fan has led to the loss of the NASCAR races at IRP. I didn't see the NASCAR move from IRP coming, but when it was announced, I was not suprised. With the fragile state of American open wheel racing, it made sense NASCAR would find a way to take advantage of a weak spot. Now Lucas Oil is considering pulling out of IRP, which should raise concerns about their sponsorships for other racing programs. There is hope for that track, USAC and American drivers. Unfortunately, the marketing degrees would rather cater to the fans than people who love racing enough to build race cars most of their lives.
Bill Gardner (Offline)
  #25 7/9/11 10:13 AM
Vukie knows the history more than most. I'm glad there are alot of Vukie's on this board... I can read their posts without feeling like I've got gnats flying all around my head!

10 Likes: apexonephoto, AustinSprinter, BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, Dannypollock24, fish, jim goerge, Koonzee, mtek56, Mud Packer
Gee2 (Offline)
  #26 7/9/11 10:14 AM
I love sprint car racing as much as anyone and have been to 100's of races but last night was a bunch of B.S with the support classes and the tractor show...The 2nd rework of the track wasnt needed... I thought I was at the National Farm Machinery Show or they may have took Eldoras idea and added NTPA Tractor pulls to the night with the other classes they were running. Running a sprint week show feature at 11:30ish is unacceptable...wont ever be back
Wallsracing (Offline)
  #27 7/9/11 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by deannalynn:
anybody hiring? I like road trips!
im hiring
deannalynn
  #28 7/9/11 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Vukie:

Beautiful! Thanks to all the folks with extensive knowledge of road racing history, perhaps the asphalt at IRP will finally be torn up so I can see 50 UMP modifieds running out there on a Sunday night! Until then, I just have the fender road race at Indy to look forward to.

I'm just so sad that so many people don't get the connection between short tracks and Indycars. But, like I said, there are more of them then there are of me, and they buy more tickets, t-shirts, and die-cast models. There is hope for the future of open wheel racing, but it clearly isn't the bulk of this forum
awnunn (Offline)
  #29 7/9/11 10:26 AM
I guess they could drop the support classes an then they could charge 40 bucks to get in. They way I see it is I want as much racing as I can get for my money. Thats just my opinion.
4 Likes: apexonephoto, Cel Cripe, fish, Wallsracing
duggerdirt44 (Offline)
  #30 7/9/11 10:44 AM
Thanks to Vukie for the link.Found stats from my great grandfather I havent seen.