IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mortboyz
  #21 10/14/10 11:03 AM
Happy Birthday, Chris!!
I've been getting the NSSN for over 33 years now, and I still go to the Editor's Notebook first. Hope to see you again at a track next season.
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #22 10/14/10 11:04 AM
Happy Birthday Chris! Down through the years I have had the priveledge of interviewing hundreds of drivers and motorcycle racers from NASCAR and Indy Cars down to the local Saturday night Street Stock racer, but the one I will always remember most was with Chris in 2002 when he visited Perris Auto Speedway.

I have been reading his weekly column since I was a little kid going to Flat Rock and Toledo Speedways and getting a copy of National Speed Sport News every week. His column is the best in the business. The facts and knowledge is incredible. Chris is truly a legend in the sport.

Another thing I always enjoyed when I would see Chris somewhere was fan's reaction when they would hear his distinctive voice. They would stop and look around to see where it came from until they spotted him. They knew exactly who it was and the ones who went over to see him were always greeted in a warm appreciative manner.

Happy Birthday Chris,
Scott Daloisio
grinch (Offline)
  #23 10/14/10 11:37 AM
Well Chris all i can say is "happy birthday"...........and i sure do miss the friday nite dinners we had with the Matczyk/Mucci race team at that nice
italien restaurant in brownsburg........... Chris is without a doubt the best story teller in history......... Take care my friend
RCDawg83 (Offline)
  #24 10/14/10 1:43 PM
Happy Birthday

I was at PRI a few years back when you announced the sprint car race. I will remember that for a long time !! I got a copy of your book at the show for my son, which you signed for him. It is one of his most cherished possessions.
SPRINTCAR (Offline)
  #25 10/14/10 6:41 PM
Like fine wine, you and what you started (NSSN) keep getting better! Happy Birthday
racefanindy (Offline)
  #26 10/14/10 8:22 PM
Happy Birthday Chris! I've been a NSSN subscriber since around 1976 or '77. I always turn to the Editor's Notebook first.

I saw you about 2 or 3 years ago at the Indianapolis 500 Collectors Show at the State Fairgrounds. I had just turned to walk from one table to the next when right next to me was the Dean of Motorsports Journalism!! Like several who have replied to this thread already, I was too awestruck to even say "hello". Thanks for all you've done for motorsports. May you have a "chamber of commerce" kind of day tomorrow!
I Miss Manzy (Offline)
  #27 10/15/10 1:07 AM
Happy Birthday to "Ye Ed" ! Chris,you've been a staple of my life. From my first televised racing on ABC's Wide World of Sports,to your featured role in the cinematic triumph "Six Pack" and your weekly appearance in my mailbox,you are one of the best! Also,reading your column is a great way to expand one's vocabulary! All the best!
ColoradoFan (Offline)
  #28 10/15/10 2:05 AM
Chris, Happy Birthday to the man that still is the dean of auto racing knowledge.
It was at the Fort Wayne midget race in 1970 that we met and you carried my first roll of film back to Ridgewood with you. Out of that roll came my first NSSN cover shot, Les Scott in the former Jimmy Davies midget with only one wheel on the floor. That begining led to my wife Diane writing many USAC articles while I was armed with my camera looking for that next cover shot.
God Bless and we look forward to many more "Editor's Notebooks".

Vernon & Diane Plotts
Littleton, CO
Gregg (Offline)
  #29 10/15/10 6:18 AM
Wishing you a very happy 90th birthday.

I was 11 when I got hooked on racing for life. Before my dad subscribed to National Speed Sport News I rarely read anything volunterily. After that I'd run to the mailbox every week to pick NSSN to read. You have done a great service to the racing community with this publication, Wide World of Sports and beyond.

Thank You,

Gregg Sauer
davidm (Offline)
  #30 10/15/10 10:23 AM
Wishing you the best on your 90th B-day.