IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
D.N.3 (Offline)
  #21 5/27/19 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by KT Motorsports:
I respect your opinion on a few subjects...
1) I agree I handled it a little harsh
2) I agree that the position that I am in that I should be a better role model

People just don’t understand my argument. I’m saying, on a track that is narrow to put the laps cars to the rear. It’s a mess. Now I know a lot of people will disagree. But more than likely they don’t pay the bills. I got a little heated. Which was wrong. But that needs to be a game time decision. The last thing some driver that worked his tail off all week just to get there wants, is to be in a rats nest on a tight track and get his things tore up. I know that’s always a risk. It could just be prevented.

Things that I disagree on...
1) you can’t tell me who the gesture was to. We’re you in my car listening to the guy? People give the finger for way less.
2) no one is covering their tail. I meant what I said. Just because people can’t understand the context of the argument, well that’s part of why there is an argument. All good
3) I appreciate the suggestion for anger management. But that’s a stretch man, come on. You don’t even know me.
4) that was to the guy that says I don’t win races. I just didn’t know how to work this site. Lol. Not really tootin my horn. Just stating facts like people seem to want.

Now I’m gonna take this and learn from it. I apologize to the mothers and kids that got offended from my profanity. But my argument stands. I just need to do it a different way. I appreciate the people who voice their opinions. Good or bad. Just know facts as you said. See everyone at the races soon and have a safe Memorial Day!

Big respect for KTJ. A driver who can admit when he might be wrong and state his point with respect, as well.
4 Likes: addictedtodirt, Jbaldwin, MBoersma, superstock30
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #22 5/27/19 11:43 AM
I have to chime in on this one. First on the alleged comment by CJ that Kyle was cheating. I would think this would have been meant as a joke, the same way Kyle Larson’s comment about Hendricks was earlier this year. It was clear to me that was the intention but some thought different and an apology was issued. I’m sure that CJ, and everyone else knows just how tough Kyle Cummins is at Haubstadt.
Second, if I walked up to KT today, he wouldn’t know me from Joe Blow, but I have walked up to him on 2 different occasions. I asked him a couple questions and he couldn’t have been more accommodating in answering without any attitude or arrogance.
I’m going to be taking my grandkids to their first sprint car race this year sometime. I’ll buy them a pit pass and take them around to see the cars and if the situation is right, introduce them to some drivers. Kevin would certainly be one of the first, and I would expect a high five or a hand shake to make the kid feel welcome. That’s my opinion of KTJ.
As a person who has raised 2 sons and has 3 grandkids, I feel qualified in making this statement. If you’re worried about your children seeing someone getting flipped off in today’s world , I recommend you lock them in their bedrooms and turn off all access to the outside world because there are far far worse things going on. In fact I hope someone flips the bird when we’re there. I’ll use it as a learning tool. I’ll say “did ya see that son? that’s what not to do”. I’ll bet even KT could agree with that
16 Likes: addictedtodirt, Can26, CRA91, Jtravels, kcarm92, ktsr, Kydehart, MBoersma, mc/rider, oppweld, PJ Wright, racenut69, Stealth87, superstock30, tmac39, TQ97
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #23 5/27/19 11:48 AM
I'll change the lyrics to a song that was famous back in the 70's a little bit. "You don't tug on Superman's cape. You don't spit in the wind. You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger. And you don't go to Haubstadt and blame Tommy Helfrich for you losing a race." And Kevin should know this. He's been racing there since he was like 14 years old. Half his life. No doubt, he let his emotions get the best of him. If he was thinking clearly, he would know doing this had a 100% chance of causing the crowd to turn on him. Especially on a night when the crowd saw drivers coming from the back of the field to contend late in the race and on a day that it would been totally understandable if they would have cancelled the evening's event due to the weather they had. And it's a loyal crowd, because they come there knowing that because of the care that Tommy takes, that's enabled them to see some of the best races they've ever seen. But he did anyway and he paid the price. But here's the good side of committing such a racing faux pas at a place like Haubstadt. These are racing junkies that come to this place. Their forgiveness can be bought. But not with money. Their currency is great races. So, if Kevin Thomas Jr shows up there in the future with his warrior spirit and brings the house down with one of those TSS Classics or forces another driver to do so, in order to beat him, then this crowd may not forget, but they will forgive him. At least till the next race.

As far as the personal insults go. I don't understand that. These guys risk their life and health doing what they do. We've all made mistakes. God knows I've said enough dumb ass things in my life that I've regretted afterwards. Especially when I was the age of some of these drivers. Fortunately for me, they weren't giving me a microphone when I was having my finest "Ya want to know what I think" moments.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
13 Likes: davidm, dwhitney1169, erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier, Jbaldwin, mc/rider, oppweld, PJ Wright, racinrich, rmcar, Static, TNRustler, WinglessLovers
Rhody (Offline)
  #24 5/27/19 12:05 PM
Apparently KTJ needs help dealing with hecklers. Either you ignore them, or you thank them for coming tell them how great it is to hear from your fans. At least he can't hear them in the car. It's a lot worse when you play a stick and ball sport and hear the hecklers all game long while you are trying to focus, the urge to drill them with an errant pass is strong. If you are winning enough to get boo-ed, that is a badge of honor in this sport, it sure beats them not knowing your name. And ******** about track prep does not make you cool. If the track sucks the promoter most likely knows it and is not happy about it, this is dirt, it changes. If you want a perfect track every night, try asphalt.
Kendall2020 (Offline)
  #25 5/27/19 12:17 PM
We all weren’t super sensitive babies back in those days. Today you do one thing that somebody doesn’t like and they go straight to the keyboard. Not to mention some will post like they know you well, why’ll having never met the person they blast.
sw1911 (Offline)
  #26 5/27/19 12:23 PM
Garry Templeton. 8-26-1981.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chief Wahoo (Online)
  #27 5/27/19 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
I have to chime in on this one. First on the alleged comment by CJ that Kyle was cheating. I would think this would have been meant as a joke, the same way Kyle Larson’s comment about Hendricks was earlier this year. It was clear to me that was the intention but some thought different and an apology was issued. I’m sure that CJ, and everyone else knows just how tough Kyle Cummins is at Haubstadt.
Not sure that he was joking. You check his twitter feed?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CJ_Leary_...50007147782144

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #28 5/27/19 12:37 PM
I don't know who said what, how it was said or done. I usually hear KTj Bashing himself if he loses or don't win. Anyway, If he did, He did. IDK.

However whitewashing this sport isn't the way to go either.

Karl and Steve would sit in victory lane and flip off the boo birds every night, point at the check and say where's your car and driver? and the next night more would come to see them.

Sammy and Earnhardt would punt or rattle peoples cages and get people hating on them (Including me) ANd they became legendary, Great racers not withstanding.

A fight on Nascars first live TV event launched 30 years of growth.

A.J never held back once giving anyone hell he felt deserved it and they loved him for it. Even punched people in victory lane after retiring and becoming a owner.

A Cussing tirade isn't good but a few cuss words for emphasis isn't bad either.

This sport isn't rated G, Not even PG, Wrecks, happen, people get hurt or killed, Emotions happen, Fights and some cussing happens and teams and drivers make moves that take your breath away to put on a show.

Without most or all the above, Why go watch.

The best sports to me have always had good guys and bad guys, Angelic teams vs demon teams etc.

So love on Cummins and hate on KTj. Either way, they both hate to lose.

Charles Nungester
8 Likes: addictedtodirt, chrismattlin, flagboy55, jaybird, kcarm92, Kydehart, MBoersma, mc/rider
ktsr (Offline)
  #29 5/27/19 1:20 PM
Not going anywhere Wahoo. Everyone has handled situations bad in their life, you included. We learn from mistakes and grow from them, but run away from them will not happen. The Helfrichs are first class people and we will always come to this track. What’s always funny is you get on here and do the same things you are condemning people for. My son is hard on himself if he loses more than anything or anyone outside of the car, be it crew, track or others. He should have worded what he said better and kept his hands in his car last night, but he’s entitled to his opinion just as your unfactual rant is. So if you want to debate, debate. Otherwise your point is mute due to coming from a place of hate and plenty of time to think out your words. 2 wrongs don’t fix this issue. But seems to me that when it’s your opinion, it’s correct, but if it’s not 🤷🏼*♂️
14 Likes: addictedtodirt, bigq11, captrat, Charles Nungester, Chief Wahoo, CRA91, interpreter66, Jerry Shaw, Jtravels, kcarm92, Kydehart, oppweld, rclaridge, rmcar
Beinthecircle (Offline)
  #30 5/27/19 3:40 PM
You all act like this isn’t the 1000th time he’s thrown a fit. He has said over and over “I will learn from this” and then everyone forgets about it til the next time.