IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos
11/17/09, 9:26 AM   #21
Re: Gold Crown car Spy Photos
AsianPersuasian

I don't understand why there are so many people that are saying "fans won't support such an ugly car" or "fans won't line up to see this ugly series race." Gee, I wonder what people said when non-wing sprint cars started running roll cages...several of those cars were far more "ugly" than these Gold Crown cars....and guess what, sprint cars are still going strong! Same deal with wings....the first wing sprints were down right ugly...so if no fans would support ugly race cars, why does the WoO and ASCS exist????

It's all about innovation...and without that, I don't think our beloved sprint cars and midgets would have made it out of the 1940s.

A true racefan would watch anything with wheels race. And I would sure as hell drive anything, ugly or not!

11/17/09, 9:42 AM   #22
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

This is what I envision Indy cars looking like if the rear engine car had been banned.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

11/17/09, 9:49 AM   #23
sc96

I really like the comment about only rich guys can afford these cars I own 3 of them and ovalmeister can back me up on this one I AM NOT RICH. Hears the deal USAC is losing Quality pavement tracks very quickly they are focusing on .25,and offroad trucks and dirt tracks if that is your thing then go for it. The Goldcrown series is built to run 1 mile 1.5 mile and larger tracks. They have also been tested on road courses with very good results. USAC is NOT involved in this project!!!! If people cant see the where the SilverCrown pavement series is headed get your head out of your A$$ they have lost Richmond And Phoenix in one year. And if they do replace those 2 tracks it will not be with venues of their quality. The goldcrown series is designed to take our local drivers and give them the experience they must have to have any hope of moving up to the next level. I do not care who you are or how good you are NO BODY IS GOING TO SIGN YOU WITHOUT YOU HAVING PAVEMENT EXPERIENCE.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8j View Post
it is a Box do not like them and will not be nice to the package.it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then do not go and dont ***** when your favorite driver never gets a chance at the next level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 members like this post:
11/17/09, 10:07 AM   #24
miledirt

As a huge sprint car fan, both wing and non wing...and my favorite series being the dirt champ cars; I am so hoping the best for this new series!

The IRL has been a total let down. NASCAR is follow the leader boring.

When's the first race!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
I really like the comment about only rich guys can afford these cars I own 3 of them and ovalmeister can back me up on this one I AM NOT RICH. Hears the deal USAC is losing Quality pavement tracks very quickly they are focusing on .25,and offroad trucks and dirt tracks if that is your thing then go for it. The Goldcrown series is built to run 1 mile 1.5 mile and larger tracks. They have also been tested on road courses with very good results. USAC is NOT involved in this project!!!! If people cant see the where the SilverCrown pavement series is headed get your head out of your A$$ they have lost Richmond And Phoenix in one year. And if they do replace those 2 tracks it will not be with venues of their quality. The goldcrown series is designed to take our local drivers and give them the experience they must have to have any hope of moving up to the next level. I do not care who you are or how good you are NO BODY IS GOING TO SIGN YOU WITHOUT YOU HAVING PAVEMENT EXPERIENCE.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

then do not go and dont ***** when your favorite driver never gets a chance at the next level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: Lucky161
11/17/09, 10:09 AM   #25
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Good for him then. Some people have more money than sense I guess.
It's what I call road racing bias. In other words if a dollar part will get the job done and there is a similar part that isn't as good but cost $5, road racers will pick the $5 part.

I used to be involved with the TROC (Texas Race of Champions) at TWS and the short track cars would run on the road course. A fairly well known road racer would show up with a SCCA legal Trans Am car which cost as much or more than the short track cars. Yet it was so much slower than the short track cars.

Ashmore has credentials as a car designer, but like Riley before him those cars cost a lot more than the current SC cars and look very similar. I think we could eventually get used to the look if they had enough cars, but that remains to be seen.

I am not sure I fully understand the goal of this new car. Paul White was experiencing rear end lift above 150mph. That would be easy and cheap to fix. nascar had a problem decades ago with rear end lift and they solved it with a simple spoiler on the deck lid. No redesign of the cars was considered.

11/17/09, 10:14 AM   #26
IBRACN

Wasn't this already tried a couple of years ago. They look just like the Silver Crown cars that USAC tried running on the NASCAR tracks....I don't see any differences. They were boring then and look about the same now. I just don't understand it.

11/17/09, 10:35 AM   #27
Rpracing1

Resembles a 60 Indy Car/Supermodified combo...........UGGG.....

11/17/09, 11:14 AM   #28

As far as the looks go, I'd like to see more rake in the top of the cage to resemble a sprint or dirt champ car (or the previously mentioned roll bar). I never understood why they kept making these new gen cars with cages that had no rake at all (they appeared to have backwards rake)-ugly. I wish the fairings/fenders in front of the front tires weren't there, or at least a lot less overall width. I don't know that there's room in the racing world for another destination series-especially if they're going to pay like USAC does for the silver crown cars. If they're trying to make a home for all the short track drivers, it needs to pay accordingly-like $25,000 to win & $2500 to start, with about 20-25 races. That's how I see it...
I wish them luck.

11/17/09, 2:19 PM   #29
Ovalmeister

Quote:
I really like the comment about only rich guys can afford these cars I own 3 of them and ovalmeister can back me up on this one I AM NOT RICH.

I can indeed attest to the fact the sc96 is not rich. In fact, if you go to the silver crown classifieds section of this website, you will see all of his silver crown operation for sale. (see photo below). This is to be able to afford the gold crown deal. So here's your chance to put YOUR money where your mouth is, buy a great car, go racing!

11/17/09, 2:35 PM   #30
Russ

Quote:

then do not go and dont ***** when your favorite driver never gets a chance at the next level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So where is this "next level" supposed to be? NASCAR? What happened to USAC being "the destination" instead of somebodies minor league.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos