IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Puppy (Offline)
  #21 12/8/20 5:20 PM
My brother and I were there, our neighbor took us.
ronmil (Offline)
  #22 12/8/20 6:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mudclodbob:
I was there with two cousins. We had a great time watching a lot of great drivers. Agree the heats were good, features at night were really dusty. I recall the two hour trip home became a scary 5 hour drive in fog that limited visibility to the front of the hood.
I remember a driving rainstorm on the long drive back to Evansville. I finally found a little mom and pop motel and got off the road until the daylight arrived. After the rain departed it was a pleasant drive on an unseasonably warm Sunday.

Ron Miller
3 Likes: duel, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
snowdrift (Offline)
  #23 12/8/20 7:39 PM
Seven of us from the farmland area went in my dads motor home had a blast sadly it was one of my dads last racing trips before his checker flag . I thank him every time I go to race for inducing me this great sport
16 Likes: duel, erich45, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, mc/rider, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART, progressive22, racenut69, rapid robert, ronmil, spicoli, tirespinner, Tony74
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #24 12/9/20 12:29 PM
I was there because a handful of NEMA cars were there. The one that Genetten drove was one of ours: Ed Czyzewski's "Polish Pirate" special. I remember that Ed and his crewman, who I knew only as "Hoppy", had trouble getting up on the podium because they only had one leg between the two of them. As I told our fans many times over the years, Ed lost both of his on Pork Chop Hill in Korea, and I'm afraid I don't remember where Hoppy lost his. They were two great guys who supported NEMA for many years.
7 Likes: duel, erich45, i love dirt track racing, Ken Bonnema, ronmil, spicoli, tirespinner
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #25 12/9/20 11:42 PM
I came back to that race to shoot it for some western racing publications and planned my vacation in Detroit to go with it. I think I am still cleaning dirt out of my ears. The promoter (his first name was Steve, but cannot remember his last name) was a concert promoter. When the night show got so out of hand with dust, he took action himself and began spraying the track with a garden hose (I have a photo of it on my Facebook page). The problem was he was spraying not only the loose stuff on the outside, but also on the groove turning it into a skating rink. Spins were ridiculous and people in the pits were begging him to stop spraying the groove, but he refused to listen.
5 Likes: duel, i love dirt track racing, Ken Bonnema, ronmil, tirespinner
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #26 12/10/20 8:18 PM
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio:
...and planned my vacation in Detroit....
Rarely heard words....

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike
13 Likes: duel, erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier, i love dirt track racing, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, mc/rider, PIT CART, racenut69, Speedwrench, tirespinner, TNRustler, Turd Ferguson
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #27 12/11/20 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike:
Rarely heard words....
I was born and raised in Detroit. At that time, I had only been in California for six years and was still young and stupid. Now I am old, and still stupid, but I have no ambition to ever vacation there again.
5 Likes: duel, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #28 12/11/20 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio:
I was born and raised in Detroit.
Me, too. East side. Left in 1978. Never went back.

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike
jwracer14 (Offline)
  #29 12/11/20 7:17 PM
I think Dean Isley was the promoter.
ronmil (Offline)
  #30 12/12/20 3:22 PM
I am amazed at the number of comments this thread has drawn and the number of people who were in attendance.

Ron Miller
4 Likes: mc/rider, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner, WinglessLovers