IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mopar Million Results!!
9/18/13, 8:21 PM   #21
Re: Mopar Million Results!!
Sprintcarfanatic

Thats not quite true about the rest being non wingers Chaney & Jacobs are BI so to speak with Dean being more of a wing man if anything, I also see Tyler Walkers name in there & he was mainly wing. Danny Smith, Mike Brecht & Todd Kane also made the show & they to are BI with Danny not so much. Thats just the A-Main. It is pretty cool to see some of the names that were there. Troy Cline is a pretty cool guy.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
9/18/13, 9:23 PM   #22
Flatrightrear

So much for wing drivers getting blown away by non-wing.Too bad Steve and Sammy weren't there to spice things up even more. It was a great race and a great time and something big like this should happen again. Have half the purse of the Million and it would still be huge. Let's face it, $50,000 to win would be gigantic for non-wing. Tony could do a two or three day show of non-wing with a big purse and call it the "Sprint Traditional Nationals" and make his track the centerpiece of non-wing sprints like Knoxville is for wing. He could do something like that if he wanted to with his facility and ability to promote big races. Run it instead of the Four Crown if that show keeps diminishing with low car counts in two divisions. Replacing the Four Crown with something like this would make more people glad than sad...... maybe. At least a big one day show like the Historical Big One that paid $100,000 to win could be considered on an annual basis. Just an idea but, of course, the numbers have to work.

1 member likes this post: dirtfan98
9/18/13, 9:37 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Really, We're going wing/non wing argument here when the interviews in Victory Lane and the ones you can find of them said, WE DROVE IT UST LIKE WE DO WITH THE WING. Keep it as straight as possible. It isn't exactly LPS where you back em in guys. Eldora was pretty damn near a equalizer on the NW/Wing and Jac ran Non wing whenever there was money with the CRA and other shows through the 90s and was bad fast at it too.

Stevie Smith Surprised me In fact he probably ran better NW there than I'd ever seen him with a wing to that point at Eldora. Jac, Didn't surprise me a darn big. Besides Some other Jack, He's practically owned Eldora too.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hamby812, jim goerge, PJ Wright, team3521
9/19/13, 6:06 PM   #24
Sprintcarfanatic

Charles, I'm thinking it was the mid to late 90's Stevie was winning an Outlaw show at Eldora & I remember Sammy, Jac stuck there nose in front of him a time or 2 & Dave Blaney ended up winning because Stevie took the wrong line & got bottled up behind a lapped car. That was right up there as 1 of the best races I'd ever seen there.

It also seems to me that Dickie wasted no time in getting to the front of the Million only to burn his rr or something.

Jac was in the Volcano Joe's car wasn't he ???

9/19/13, 6:53 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Jac was in the Race to Hawaii car. Probably the same car as you mentioned. But that was the primary sponsor for his race. Dickie just said, I was running the line that was fastest for me. If I'd known they were up there. I'd of at least took their line. He was still happy as a lark with third.

For hotlaps and Qualifying Steve Sr. didn't do a damn thing to Stevies car. It was basically his winged car without the wing. He did raise the back end and take out some stagger for the feature.

Honestly, I don't remember seeing Dean Jacobs run NW before that and a couple others. I know Danny Smith had but it'd been some time up to that point and several of the cars that entered were the sprint bandits with 360s and they all had run winged up to that point. It was very obvious in hotlaps and qualifying as to who had any experience or not NW. I think there were nine flips in Qualifying and even a couple in Hot laps.
Jac hadn't even run non wing since the last CRA midwest tour unless it was Silver Crown.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/19/13 at 8:16 PM.

9/19/13, 8:13 PM   #26
Sprintcarfanatic

1 of those qualifiers was Kurt Winker. He had just talked to Dave Darland before he went out & evidently didn't listen as he tore the crap out of the car. They loaded it up & went home.

Mike Brecht came from Modifieds, Went to 360's & finished 3rd in points his 1st year in the NRA. He has been hit & miss the last couple of years.

I believe that Dean became a decent driver when he was in the Frigidaire #1F, Before that nothing to write home about.

I met Dickie at Fremont, Probably 2001 2002 at a non wing show & talked to him about Dick. His dad was my favorite driver when he showed at Limaland back in the day, Chances are if he was there I'd be hoarse the next day. Man if I could only go back in time.

9/20/13, 12:38 PM   #27
JarrettFarms73

Not to get too deep in the wing/ non wing nonsense but I want to add a story on Haud when he drove a non wing car for my Aunt and Uncle, the Toney's from Elwood, IN. (hence my screen name) Jac drove a 2 day show at Eldora winning night 1 and leading the next night going away until losing the rr. His line was so close to the fence it actually took the paint off the tank. Which Uncle George happily took back to Jim Lipke for a fresh coat. My aunt couldn't watch due to nerves and went back to the trailer. LOL. Best part is Jac apologized for not winning both races. Considering Vogler burned their brand new car to the ground in hot laps at Eldora, I'd say Jac's performance was forgiven. So I definitely laugh when the Wild Child gets a wing driver label.

As far as the Mopar Million, I seem to remember Eric Shively putting on a good show working his way through the alphabet! What a great event!!

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
9/21/13, 10:00 AM   #28
short track scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
1 of those qualifiers was Kurt Winker. He had just talked to Dave Darland before he went out & evidently didn't listen as he tore the crap out of the car. They loaded it up & went home.

Mike Brecht came from Modifieds, Went to 360's & finished 3rd in points his 1st year in the NRA. He has been hit & miss the last couple of years.

I believe that Dean became a decent driver when he was in the Frigidaire #1F, Before that nothing to write home about.

I met Dickie at Fremont, Probably 2001 2002 at a non wing show & talked to him about Dick. His dad was my favorite driver when he showed at Limaland back in the day, Chances are if he was there I'd be hoarse the next day. Man if I could only go back in time.
Every year when the it's "talk like a pirate" day I remember heading over, in the rain, and debating whether it'd be Darrrrland or Walkerrrrrrrrr or someone else.

I remember there being rain and drizzle almost up to the minute the pit pass window opened. It was a Knoxville type feeling standing in line with people from coast to coast.

Reading over the qualifying results is both memorable and melancholy. A sobering number of competitors have either gotten out of racing or unfortunately passed away in the decade since the Million.

But for that day, that weekend, most all of the world was right. I had forgotten what the prices were. It was a ticket to Woodstock. Even then we pretty much knew it was a once in a lifetime event. There were a ton of cars that came to support the event. They drew a good paycheck and were part of THE Mopar Million.

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, EPSpeed, Jerry Spencer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mopar Million Results!!