IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racer-x (Offline)
  #11 9/25/14 2:05 PM
If you just figured out the media is clueless I bet you think the economy is doing better cause they told ya so! As time goes on we are seeing more smart phones and a society of idiots.
5 Likes: interpreter66, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, ScottShot, team3521
Nate (Offline)
  #12 9/25/14 4:49 PM
I've posted this picture before but I think its a pretty rock solid example of why the media and racing dont mix.
2 Likes: flagboy55, jim goerge
throb (Offline)
  #13 9/25/14 6:04 PM
Originally Posted by ossuks:

Just one example that stands out....local radio in Indiana has a DJ that spent most of a week belittling Tony....Yesterday he spent 40 seconds on the subject and acted like he had previous knowledge of the drug use instead of any type of apology!!
gee.....wonder if you are talking about dan "the ******" dakich?

Rob Botts
SWScaleChassis (Offline)
  #14 9/26/14 8:08 AM
Didnt know about the story of the 'Smoke' name. Just another example of his close realation to his roots, his passion for the sport and his determination to race. Thought it was just a nickname. I never attributed it to any kind of 'hot-headedness'. Just thought it was a nickname. Youve got that in racing. Ive known people for years by a nickname, and never knew their first name. Gee, NOBODY knows my Father-In-Law as Larry. He's Buck, or Big Dog.

But the media dropped the ball and 'stepped on it'. I know we aren't reporters, or folks good behind a mic or camera. But I took it upon myself just last weekend to show people around a winged car and explain the dynamics of the car. Not one time did I hear Nancy Grace utter the word 'Stagger'.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #15 9/26/14 9:56 AM
Originally Posted by SWScaleChassis:
Didnt know about the story of the 'Smoke' name. Just another example of his close realation to his roots, his passion for the sport and his determination to race. Thought it was just a nickname. I never attributed it to any kind of 'hot-headedness'. Just thought it was a nickname. Youve got that in racing. Ive known people for years by a nickname, and never knew their first name. Gee, NOBODY knows my Father-In-Law as Larry. He's Buck, or Big Dog.

But the media dropped the ball and 'stepped on it'. I know we aren't reporters, or folks good behind a mic or camera. But I took it upon myself just last weekend to show people around a winged car and explain the dynamics of the car. Not one time did I hear Nancy Grace utter the word 'Stagger'.
I remember the first time I heard the name "Smoke Johnson", and it may have been the first time he, Tony, used it, it was at Brownstown, In, either a Modified show, or Late Model, but it was all over the local news the next day, "Who is this guy, "Smoke Johnson"! Then the story began to unravel, and we all knew of the "conditions" he was under with Joe. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!