IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Chuck (Offline)
  #11 6/6/08 2:18 PM
To all you Butch Wilkerson fans: I just had him on my radio program last Saturday morning (WGCL 1370 AM at 10 AM Bloomington, Indiana). Along with Butch there was Bob Kinser and Danny Bowlen; what a time we had. It was an hour of great stories from all of them. I know you may have missed this program, but I am going to have them back later this summer; I will let you know when. The program is Speedtalk with me Chuck Welsh as host. Please listen. Thanks
Chuck
:applaud:
3 Likes: duggerdirt44, FishBurger, jim goerge
ronmil (Offline)
  #12 6/6/08 2:28 PM
aceace,

I'm really enjoying your stories; they bring back so many fond memories. I remember an incident at Haubstadt that occurred coming out of turn two involving Jim Hall, a driver from Missouri, I believe, and the Gold Deuce. I'm not sure how it began, but the Gold Deuce make contact with the rear of Hall's machine, (it may have had a mechanical problem) and Hall wound up in the backstretch bleachers, several rows up. Fortunately, no spectators were injured and neither was Hall. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe your dad was driving the Gold Deuce at that time. I'm sure he can confirm if my recollection is correct or not.
And by the way, I believe the Gold Deuce was owned by the Stepter family of Metropolis, IL.

Ron Miller
Mel Kenyon Fan
  #13 2/3/11 10:23 AM
I remember watching Butch at Kokomo Speedway back in the late 70's and early 80's and he was always one of my favorites. He drove a blue car, a number 66 if I remember correctly. During track run-in, flagman Vic Lipkey used to walk the track and Butch would blip the throttle when he got just past Vic and throw some mud at him. The next time around, Vic would toss a mud clod at Butch's car. They used to do this every Sunday. Always got a kick of them two doing that.
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #14 2/3/11 10:30 AM
Butch is on the IOW board sometimes. Maybe he can relive some of the stories from days gone by.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
racefan20 (Offline)
  #15 2/3/11 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Chuck:
To all you Butch Wilkerson fans: I just had him on my radio program last Saturday morning (WGCL 1370 AM at 10 AM Bloomington, Indiana). Along with Butch there was Bob Kinser and Danny Bowlen; what a time we had. It was an hour of great stories from all of them. I know you may have missed this program, but I am going to have them back later this summer; I will let you know when. The program is Speedtalk with me Chuck Welsh as host. Please listen. Thanks
Chuck
:applaud:
Is there a way to listen online Chuck?

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
smith19 (Offline)
  #16 2/3/11 10:59 AM
seen butch race many times especially when gilstrap drove for us. go ahead and admit it butch you even took a couple laps in the old #19.lol

CHRIS SMITH
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #17 2/3/11 6:57 PM
This is Butch on the left with Gene Crucean and John Mahoney. Between these 3 are at least 10,000 stories.

IMG_1122 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr
5 Likes: FishBurger, jim goerge, Mud Packer, Ovalmeister
Tim Bookmiller (Offline)
  #18 2/3/11 8:33 PM
It made no difference if Butch was driving for Dizz,Jim Mcqueen ,Jack French or a host if others. He WAS ON THE Gas and a hero to many who watched and admired him
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, FishBurger, jim goerge, Russ
Butch47265 (Offline)
  #19 2/3/11 10:21 PM
YES Butch Wilkerson is GOING strong even at 66, Live in North Vernon, Indiana, If anyone wants racing Info call 812/ 592/ 2172
9 Likes: FishBurger, jim goerge, mtek56, Mud Packer, Ovalmeister, SteveD, ThrottleHead, wallbanger II
SprintManDave (Offline)
  #20 2/3/11 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Butch47265:
YES Butch Wilkerson is GOING strong even at 66, Live in North Vernon, Indiana, If anyone wants racing Info call 812/ 592/ 2172
Yes,and he hasn't missed too many meals either.