IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Bug_racer (Offline)
  #11 4/25/12 8:35 PM
Originally Posted by suade82:
I have always wonders about this. Where is this legal? There are misconception about turbos. The statment is correct about turbo lag, in todays turbos (ball bearing turbos) the lag if very low, but like anything depends on how much money you want to spend. Also, if adjusted correctly, the turbo lag could make for some traction control. The turbo can be adjusted with different housings on the turbine side for low rpm or high rpm power. In my mazda, you can feel the boost at 2200 rpm and is at 30psi around 3800 rpm with a GT28RS turbo. From my dirt racing days, I have learned how to keep my foot in the throttle so I dont loose too much boost on a small auto X track.

I believe it would be more economical for midgets.

I installed a turbo in my car and been having a blast with it.
Its legal here in Aus although very few have taken the offer up . Most forced induction are supercharged engines . We can also run stand alone EFI so you can tune a program to have really good throttle control on boost , almost like traction control . In order to be competitive you need to run the gtx turbos and at least a gtx2871r , but more favourable is the gtx3071 . Anti lag seems permittable as well so it should be interesting setting it all up
rj1 (Offline)
  #12 6/6/12 4:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bug_racer:
Yes it would . 2V turbo engines with SOHC can run up to 2000cc and dual cam but 2V (fiat engines) can run up to 1776cc . No Twin cam 4V forced induction is allowed
what turbo engines are out there at this point in time that are not four-valve? (other than the FIAT you mention)
DAD (Offline)
  #13 6/6/12 11:58 PM
I think most USA race groups say Naturaly aspirated. I got beat for a whole year by a guy running NOX. Might be a better idea. I never even gave it a thought.

Honest Dad himself
Dirtdevil29 (Offline)
  #14 6/7/12 1:52 AM
I use to run a series several years ago that had very little tech and very few rules. We ran a motor cycle engine with a driveshaft and Toyota rear similar to a dwarf car kinda. I had a chassis guy install a bar toward the middle of the bar that I built with another tube inside it that was capped off and would hold a few pounds of NOX/NOS, enough for a couple squirts. Sure was a lot of fun. I know a few WoO guys use to run the small "Sneaky Pete" bottles strapped to their leg under their firesuit during hot laps, until one was climbing out of his car in front of an official and the bottle fell out on to the ground WHOOPS

Posted via Mobile Device
cartunr22 (Offline)
  #15 6/8/12 12:23 AM
Oh man i was getting excited there for a moment. The new GTX and EFR turbos work over a larger range and im guessing you would not have lag issues in a standard setup. You could always run a pre turbo throttle and that would help even more. I always thought it would be fun to have a turbo 2 liter class in a sprint car chassis.

I know of some guys that road race turbo ford mustangs with some success. I believe they were 2.3l 2 valve 4 cylinders.