IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Burg update and news thread
4/14/12, 2:29 PM   #11
Re: Burg update and news thread
rdzsprint

Weather channel says 83 degrees tomorrow and only 10% chance of rain. What in the h*ll is wrong with a rain date?

3 members like this post: dusty tracks, Eatin Dirt, Ricks Pics
4/14/12, 2:53 PM   #12
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdzsprint View Post
Weather channel says 83 degrees tomorrow and only 10% chance of rain. What in the h*ll is wrong with a rain date?
Looking at what's in Missouri right now that is a potent 10%.

4/14/12, 3:18 PM   #13
rdzsprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Looking at what's in Missouri right now that is a potent 10%.
I just read that Clay Co. Speedway (I think?) in Illinois cancelled today and rescheduled tomorrow. Whatever happened to tracks scheduling a make up / rain date instead throwing in the towel?

4/14/12, 3:34 PM   #14
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
I just read that Clay Co. Speedway (I think?) in Illinois cancelled today and rescheduled tomorrow. Whatever happened to tracks scheduling a make up / rain date instead throwing in the towel?
Since this is a USAC sanctioned event, the track probably doesn't have the final say so.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/14/12, 4:01 PM   #15
BrentTFunk

Quote:
I think running tomorrow would have been pretty risky. Hard to get word to the masses. Maybe you should start promoting. You got it figured out.

4 members like this post: Dwayne, fish, jim goerge, racefan20
4/14/12, 4:21 PM   #16
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Since this is a USAC sanctioned event, the track probably doesn't have the final say so.
....also Clay County announced their rainout policy in advance and posted it on their website.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racefan20
4/14/12, 8:45 PM   #17
rdzsprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I think running tomorrow would have been pretty risky. Hard to get word to the masses. Maybe you should start promoting. You got it figured out.
Back in the day race tracks used to advertise a rain date along with the original race date. It was not "hard to get word to the masses", it was printed right on the ticket.

I attended my first sprint car race in 1953, maybe you are more educated than I when it comes to sprint car racing? If you have seen more sprint car shows than I have, congratulations you are a very lucky person!

I would love to compare notes about Pat O'Connor and Mike Nazaruk with you sometme.

4/14/12, 10:16 PM   #18
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The Clay County Speedway promoter, and the 100+ drivers at their initial track meeting back in Feb decided that Sundays will always be their weekly rain date. It has been posted on their website since it has been online. And it's posted at the track. Each of the 2 races so far this year has been almost standing room only. So I think they know. As far as promoting, they do that too, it's just they don't camp out on IOW. And though they are stock car folks, Kevin is on IOW as "17B" and is gaining on his sprint car learning curve. It's a fun place to race and a bargain at a $5 admission.
Last edited by mscs20; 4/14/12 at 10:19 PM.

5 members like this post: ISF, Pat O'Connor Fan, rdzsprint, ronmil, Steve Wendel
4/15/12, 7:38 AM   #19
Sprintcarfanatic

Raindate !!!! Here's what happened somewhere down the line, Some nucklehead decided that the raindate if any would be on a later date that was already a scheduled race date. Come to think about it I never did see that 36 bucks ever again.

1 member likes this post: rdzsprint
4/15/12, 9:57 AM   #20
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Back in the day race tracks used to advertise a rain date along with the original race date. It was not "hard to get word to the masses", it was printed right on the ticket.

I attended my first sprint car race in 1953, maybe you are more educated than I when it comes to sprint car racing? If you have seen more sprint car shows than I have, congratulations you are a very lucky person!

I would love to compare notes about Pat O'Connor and Mike Nazaruk with you sometme.
Back in the day gas was like 30cents a gallon. Guess what it isn't back in the day. I still say paying a big purse on a Sunday night, on short notice would require more people than you can draw locally. I think for the promotor it would be risky. Yes a rain date would have been nice, but if I was in the tracks position and it was my money, I wouldn't have done it. I would like to see your notes on Pat O'Conner and Mike Nazaruk though. I bet thats good stuff.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Burg update and news thread