IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
dkdorkboy (Offline)
  #11 2/20/11 9:47 PM
How about grocery getters?
rdzsprint (Offline)
  #12 2/22/11 1:05 PM
Jalopies,clunkers,a friend of mine back in the 60's at the 'burg' called them "fugitives from the junkyard". He would go to the concession stands or restrooms whenever they were on the track. The 'taxicab' term has been around a long time. Nascrap raced cars on the dirt as well as pavement in cars that looked similar to those you drove on the street. I have a video of Parnelli Jones rolling down the window to get a cup of water during a pitstop at the Riverside 500.

Nascar had an open wheel division several years ago that died out and their focus now is goobernickel style crashing/banging/(racing)?..with fenders and doors. The Impalas,Fusions,etc., while hardly like those that compete, can be purchased and driven by taxicab companies as well as grandmothers making grocery runs and trips to WAL-MART. Sprint cars on the other hand are full-blooded race cars and taxi services will not be picking you up at the airport with one. You probably won't see grandma broadsliding an 800 HP Maxim into the parking lot at the local lodge on Ladies Auxialiary bingo night either.
Wayne Davis (Offline)
  #13 2/22/11 2:22 PM
Late Models aka..Taxi Cabs/Tin Tops/Door Bangers/Jalopies

Sprinters aka...roadsters/big cars/supers/skeeters

Midgets aka ... pregnant roller skate/lil cars

Sprints with wings aka... Sissy Flap cars/crutches/tin top/roof flap/wussy flap...I could go on

Southern Outlaw Motorsports
Jacksonville, Florida
The Original Southern Outlaw

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

ffrid (Offline)
  #14 2/22/11 3:44 PM
How about "real racecars don't have doors"?
2 Likes: burris7555, SPRINTCAR
Wallsracing (Offline)
  #15 2/22/11 3:59 PM
Originally Posted by chris nunn:
now, most of you know my stance on racing in general, if it has four wheels, goes fast, and slings dirt, its worth it for me.

Just wondered where you guys came up with the names taxi cabs, mud cabs and stuff for late models or any other kinds of stock cars.

i dont know if ive ever seen anything like that on a dirt track before, so it just made me think, how did the names come about? This could be a fun debate, which is what i intended it to be. I guess the only thing ive ever heard a sprint car be called other than a sprint car is a "tumble bunny" but then again i dont think ive ever seen anything like...

that on a track either.

Fun debate, no harm or malicious intent, im just itching to go racing and this could entertain me for a bit
i remember someone just hated sprints and midgets...:2::2:

Taxi taxi...i know i have one
Seadog (Offline)
  #16 2/22/11 4:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan:
The "taxi cab" name was, I believe, originally a name for the Cup cars. They were running big Fords and Chevys that were the same models as city cabs. The "door stop" tag is because those wedge-shaped things look like the wedges you can put under a door to hold it open.

You got a question? Ask an old guy. We know all. :-)
I am also an old guy and I know it all - the problem is I can't remember most of it.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

You forgot the term "tin tops" - self explanitory I think.
ISF (Offline)
  #17 2/23/11 1:19 AM
Dang it Seadog ya' beat me to it! LOL!!

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
cecil98 (Offline)
  #18 2/23/11 7:01 AM
They were called Taxi Cabs because they had doors, fenders and a roof, very much like a taxi cab and unlike openwheel cars. BTW, why are we discussing this on Indiana "Open Wheel" ????
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #19 2/23/11 12:21 PM
Because Cecil, I wanted to have a fun off season debate. Thats pretty simple.

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
davidm (Offline)
  #20 2/23/11 12:59 PM
Mud Bus came from from the Northeast Dirt Modifieds.

Ground Pounders are Asphalt Modifieds.