IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
sp6967 (Offline)
  #11 1/18/17 8:30 PM
this smoke guy, isn't he one of those taxi cab drivers? good luck with that.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." President Ronald Reagan
revjimk (Offline)
  #12 1/18/17 8:46 PM
He said at Chili Bowl he was planning to run over 70 dirt races, so like it or not, better get used to it
I think its a good thing: another driver, more investment. maybe new fans
If NASCAR fans standing up bugs you, just go ahead & tell them to sit down, hopefully they'll figure it out eventually
3 Likes: fish, jim goerge, Simon_says17
JordanBlanton (Offline)
  #13 1/18/17 8:56 PM
So we're complaining (months before the race, for what that's worth) because a driver entering a big wingless sprint car race might bring along some fans who stand up more often than we'd like? Tomorrow somebody will be complaining about losing 'our guys' to other racing disciplines. I can't help but to see the link between these 2 ideas.
LB (Offline)
  #14 1/18/17 9:07 PM
2 Likes: motorhead748, PIT CART
Therealether (Offline)
  #15 1/18/17 9:32 PM
It seems amomgst all the ********, half of you forgot that the man started in open wheel cars. He is a racer, be it NASCAR, Indycar, midgets, etc.... And racers race.
3 Likes: CCI, dirtball, koolaid89
Pavement Dave (Offline)
  #16 1/18/17 11:18 PM
I sounded negative and I didn't want to come across negative but I'll post my points again since you brought it up.
1. Will he bring professional tire changers which are faster and more experienced since he already has them on the payroll?
2. Will he get free tires since Hoosier was an announced sponsor? Everyone else will have a $2000 tire bill for the week.
3. He won't have any trouble getting a push truck since every push truck driver will have their eyes glued on him hoping to get a shot at pushing him.
4. He hasn't ran a pavement sprint car since 2002 at Las Vegas. He no doubt will be testing at the track several times prior to the race. Testing costs money but gives a huge advantage. That's ultimately what ended USAC pavement sprint car racing because of the cost to test.
5. Will he be on the same compound as everyone else? The tire manufacture for the race is also his sponsor.
All these factors could cause teams to loose interest in the race if it isn't what they feel is a level playing field. We can't afford to loose anymore cars from this race. We're barely getting 33 now.
5 Likes: interpreter66, jim goerge, rz1, tirespinner, trannyman
interpreter66 (Offline)
  #17 1/18/17 11:26 PM
Dave people who know you know how passionate you are about that race,and that you would never do or say anything to harm that event
2 Likes: Pavement Dave, tirespinner
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #18 1/18/17 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pavement Dave:
I sounded negative and I didn't want to come across negative but I'll post my points again since you brought it up.
1. Will he bring professional tire changers which are faster and more experienced since he already has them on the payroll?
I doubt it, But a couple might be some of his shop guys. I think i read something where HAR did a pit stop in 28 seconds or something last year and thats four tires and fuel. Thats almost unheard of in Sprint's.

2. Will he get free tires since Hoosier was an announced sponsor? Everyone else will have a $2000 tire bill for the week.
Possibly, But Hoosier was a HAR sponsor before. Maybe reduced price. I doubt they're free unless Tony's got another deal. Not the only team by far to have a tire sponsor.

3. He won't have any trouble getting a push truck since every push truck driver will have their eyes glued on him hoping to get a shot at pushing him.
Meh. doubt it has much effect anyway.

4. He hasn't ran a pavement sprint car since 2002 at Las Vegas. He no doubt will be testing at the track several times prior to the race. Testing costs money but gives a huge advantage. That's ultimately what ended USAC pavement sprint car racing because of the cost to test.

I doubt this car hits a track prior to first practice day. If smoke gets his practice. It will probably be at something else. He has run Indoor Ft. Wayne and as far as I know ran pavement up till November in FL.

5. Will he be on the same compound as everyone else? The tire manufacture for the race is also his sponsor.

Even if there is no tire rule, WHich I doubt. There's only about two compounds to choose from. You'd want a set to last most of the distance between fuel stops.

All these factors could cause teams to loose interest in the race if it isn't what they feel is a level playing field. We can't afford to loose anymore cars from this race. We're barely getting 33 now.
It's the same car they ran last year and won with Swanson and the year prior with BC and years prior to that on USAC trail with Coons. The cars far from new. Its a wide chassis Beast with a couple modifications. If just came back from Powder Coat in Black instead of it's former Blue and has a few brake lines on it. As far as I can remember the Car was for sale and nobody bought it after USAC quit pavement sprints.

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: interpreter66, jim goerge, Simon_says17
LB (Offline)
  #19 1/18/17 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
It's the same car they ran last year and won with Swanson and the year prior with BC and years prior to that on USAC trail with Coons. The cars far from new. Its a wide chassis Beast with a couple modifications. If just came back from Powder Coat in Black instead of it's former Blue and has a few brake lines on it.
And i do believe , tracy hines in there somewhere
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
Pavement Dave (Offline)
  #20 1/18/17 11:44 PM
Thanks for answering a few unknowns I was curious about. As far as testing the Hoffmans and Kody Swandon spent a full day testing at the track a few weeks prior to the event. I'm sure that will happen again. It would be the smart thing to do to get him some more seat time. But why does Hoosier need to sponsor guys and give them special deals for that particular race? They have the tire deal and you have to buy their brand. Therefore there is no need for them to sponsor guys. That's what I am confused about most.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, interpreter66, tirespinner