IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #11 6/29/16 11:16 AM
Depending on where they build it, the spectator mounds could provide quite a bit of lawn seating. They could easily put up temporary stands on the opposite side. I don't know how interested IMS would be in hosting many dirt track events. It's an already saturated market and profit would probably be difficult to make. This sounds like a one time thing.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #12 6/29/16 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan:
Depending on where they build it, the spectator mounds could provide quite a bit of lawn seating. They could easily put up temporary stands on the opposite side. I don't know how interested IMS would be in hosting many dirt track events. It's an already saturated market and profit would probably be difficult to make. This sounds like a one time thing.
I don't think the $$ is the problem here and certainly the whole speedway grounds would not be open, Probably just the north tunnel. One concession or some trailered concessions. one restroom (Bigger than most any dirt track restroom anyway) IM not so sure this isn't outside the track behind the turn three grandstand IDK. If inside and could utilize one of the video boards, that would be huge plus.

Smoke has said his intention is to race at least a little while after Leaving Nascar It wouldn't surprise me for a WoO or All Star race to be held there. But as the article says. Initially Midgets.

I also don't think it fits the IMS model but kept confined. layed out right. All the would be needed is jersey barrier wall and they probably got old fence or extra fence stuff at the track. Keeping it confined in a local area controls the cost of staff etc. And doing it to honor a former USAC triple crown winner, IRL Champ and Nascar and Brickyard Champ is just plain Rushville Rocket Raceway!

It could have four or five events, Hey, Bring back Thursday Night Thunder with some TV, One or two events per class, WoO, USAC Sprint and Midget. There goes my Glass half full meter.

Charles Nungester
thebus71h (Offline)
  #13 6/29/16 1:02 PM
I'd be seriously willing to bet that the night before the 500 will make a return to dirt...

I don't see how this is bad at all. They've already said it won't be weekly, only a special show racetrack.
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #14 6/29/16 2:54 PM
Originally Posted by thebus71h:
I'd be seriously willing to bet that the night before the 500 will make a return to dirt...

I don't see how this is bad at all. They've already said it won't be weekly, only a special show racetrack.
Not when they are drawing 35000 plus at the concerts.
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, PIT CART
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #15 6/29/16 3:15 PM
Originally Posted by Vukie:
https://twitter.com/USACNation

RT@USAC Racing ‏@USACNation
Hmm...what could Doug Boles and Levi Jones be discussing in this picture, taken at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?
Probably taking a sprint week date away from a more deserving existent Indiana track
2 Likes: PIT CART, tirespinner
openwheelKT (Offline)
  #16 6/29/16 4:22 PM
I don't see how this is built, and a race is NEVER run on it. I get it being a gift. But to me, that's a lot of effort for ONE appearance. I'm sure Tony would like to see a race run on it.

I don't think running 2 or 3 specials a year would oversaturate the market any more than it already is. Doug Boles/IMS hosted many dirt track promoters in the winter/spring so he obviously gets it. Grass roots racing is important to all racing. I'm sure something could be worked out to run and not step on other track's dates. A qualifying day, dirt track night race, would be cool. It wouldn't take much temporary lighting to light the dirt track. They generally don't have anything going after a qualifying day. I think some pretty cool things could be done a couple times a year. If they are serious about putting a real track down, right dirt, and right length (after they build the initial 3/16th), I think it could be a really cool deal. I think it could really enhance dirt racing, not take away from it if put together and used in the right way.
monkeyboy (Offline)
  #17 6/29/16 5:19 PM
A new track is being built and some of you are pissed?Can someone please explain to me how a new place to race is a bad thing? We have it great here racing wise. Some of you crybabies need to be thankful the racing gods smile on us Hoosiers,instead of complaining about future races.

All I need is a heavy track and heavy buzz!
14 Likes: alexfd16, Chase Hightower, cj02, cwfan08, dirt330, DirtHawk92, Jbaldwin, Jim Gardner, mc/rider, nathans1012, racer58, racer5c, sprint72, tdt636
BLASTER1 (Offline)
  #18 6/30/16 8:47 PM
Per IMS this will NOT be a "permanent fixture"!!! https://twitter.com/IMS/status/748542352914944004
Nate (Offline)
  #19 6/30/16 9:09 PM
I would predict something possibly being put on during the Brickyard weekend...maybe that Friday or Saturday night? Although I haven't checked schedules to see what's running elsewhere during those days.

They're already putting dirt down and putting up barriers per the pics on the IMS Twitter.

Nate Bickel - @natefb22
Nate (Offline)
  #20 6/30/16 9:28 PM
Photo from today per @IMS
Attachments:
image.jpeg (1.34 MB)

Nate Bickel - @natefb22