IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #11 5/1/16 10:56 AM
That race in 2009 was one that in essence should have been canceled. Alex Coonan got hurt really bad that day, and there was only half of a track to be used. Later on in the feature there was another massive accident on the backstretch where another drivers car was torn completely in half. It was postponed one day, but the track was still way way too wet for anything to have happened.

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
2 Likes: DirtHawk92, kcarm92
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #12 5/1/16 11:15 AM
Chris it wasn't Pettas. It was Alex Coonan that broke his neck.
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #13 5/1/16 11:22 AM
Jim, like Mr. Nunn said that track was in no shape to race on. It was rough and had a huge burm piled up on the inside that narrowed the racing groove causing many crashes in the 2 Hour Long MSCS Main and in the SCORA Main where Alex Coonan broke his neck. Thankfully everyone learned from that and they cancelled today. Driver safety should be #1.
2 Likes: jim goerge, Leohr46
markmckeon (Offline)
  #14 5/1/16 11:28 AM
"Ironically, the same event last year was nearly postponed as well, due to heavy rainfall across the midwest [sic] the day before."

Actually, that's coincidence, not irony. Irony would be if the event was sponsored by the Totes umbrella company, London Fog raincoats or the Intergalactic Galoshes Consortium.

Thank you for this opportunity; my work here is completed.

grammarpolice.JPG
Attachments:
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #15 5/1/16 12:40 PM
D0uche of the day award candidate.
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, Dblchkrs, markmckeon, progressive22
ronmil (Offline)
  #16 5/1/16 12:45 PM
Glad they made an early call and rescheduled the event! Thanks Bob Sargent and Track Enterprises for your efforts in promoting the sport so many of us love!

Ron Miller
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, midnightrider, open_wheel_outlaw, PIT CART
jim goerge (Offline)
  #17 5/1/16 5:12 PM
JT I thought the track was more than half wide sure I remember the berm on the very inside but I was thinking there was plenty of room cuz MSCS did their 4 abreast salute to the fans . I also remember after Tom graded the track they had fans help run the track in and even after all the slop was graded off they still had to have the track watered lol. I forgot about SORA racing too. Guess old age is catching up, maybe I got CRS (can't remember sh#t) lol.
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #18 5/1/16 5:47 PM
Also had crate lt models that day too
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #19 5/1/16 6:30 PM
From what I understand, driver safety and track conditions were the main determining factors of the cancellation , among others.
Leohr46 (Offline)
  #20 5/1/16 6:46 PM
I ran that day. The track was rough and narrow. We should never have ran that day. In the end there was a lot of equipment destroyed and a driver left with a broken neck.