IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #11 4/7/15 3:08 PM
I remember a USAC sprint & midget doubleheader at Lakeside Speedway in 2001. The midget feature was ran first & AJ Fike won with a last lap pass through the infield/grass in turn three. When the sprints pushed off everyone was checking out the "low" groove. So many guys were racing down there you could barely see through all the dust when Ed Carpenter flipped coming out of turn two. During the red flag I think they ended up moving tractor tires to places to mess up the drivers lines if they cut through the infield.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, rdzsprint
mlamb (Offline)
  #12 4/7/15 4:07 PM
Removal of the tires leads me to believe they're gonna have more and more go cart races. I think this years go cart races are just a trial. I think next year they'll be a full blown go cart track. They'll get more go carts than they get in any division they currently run.
It's not about them saving you axles or race cars....it's about them making money! Hopefully I'm wrong...been wrong a lot before, it's just what I see on the horizon.
Time will tell I guess?
2 Likes: Dirtfan, SPD 37
Indy (Offline)
  #13 4/7/15 4:22 PM
I remember the MWTQRL trying this at the Rushville fairgrounds track. Everyone seemed to mind their P's and Q's until the feature. Drivers would go through turns 1 and 3 at the correct spot. But found out they could cut down into the infield in turns 2 and 4 to pass. By the end of the race the dust was flying and the oval was a different shape. The straight away started at the end of turn 1, made a straight line to the beginning of 3 and then made a line back from the end of turn 3 to turn 1.
Dirtfan (Offline)
  #14 4/7/15 6:13 PM
Originally Posted by mlamb:
Removal of the tires leads me to believe they're gonna have more and more go cart races. I think this years go cart races are just a trial. I think next year they'll be a full blown go cart track. They'll get more go carts than they get in any division they currently run.
It's not about them saving you axles or race cars....it's about them making money! Hopefully I'm wrong...been wrong a lot before, it's just what I see on the horizon.
Time will tell I guess?

Seems to me they would want to keep and help the racers/classes that have raced and been loyal for years,but what do I know.

Dan Hetser

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
6 Likes: dshort36, jim goerge, mlamb, ronmil, Scott Bradley, SPD 37
torqueball (Offline)
  #15 4/7/15 7:35 PM
This will definitely change the bottom and how it can be ran, but I don't know how I feel about it. Bloomington's tires were a lot like Haubstadt's wall....neither of them were moving, so it was your own fault if you hit them. I'm not a fan of small-loose tires used to mark the inside of any track. They get knocked around and cause delays throughout the night. If you upgrade to heavy equipment tires, you might as well have something buried. The racers are going to push the limit until they hit something and I mean that literally. In conclusion, I hope this helps all involved, but I hope we don't have a circus like that Thursday night show at LPS a few years back. There's nothing like being three wide with everybody in the infield.

Danny Holtsclaw
12 Likes: babcock14d, bigq11, Charles Nungester, i love dirt track racing, Joe Whisler, jscott101, Mattvp52, monkeyboy, ronmil, sc17x, Scott Bradley, tinkertoys
throb (Offline)
  #16 4/7/15 7:42 PM
this would have saved me 1 completely destroyed race car and having to miss an entire year of racing. but I learned my lesson and never hit one again.....

Rob Botts
tinkertoys (Offline)
  #17 4/7/15 8:28 PM
Holtsclaw you said it best. I wish you would bring "Back Road to Indy" out of retirement!
2 Likes: Mattvp52, Scott Bradley
i love dirt track racing (Offline)
  #18 4/7/15 8:31 PM
At a lot of dirt tracks I see a lot of safety crews and photographs people and racing fans and racing teams crews in the the infield area. Hopefully all will be stay safe.
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #19 4/7/15 8:54 PM
If there are no buried tires there, you will not stop drivers from cutting thru the infield, no matter what they say. Maybe use some spike strips like the cops use. That should keep em out of the infield. I agree, if you hit a tire, more than likely it was your fault and hopefully you came away with an understanding of their purpose.
torqueball (Offline)
  #20 4/7/15 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by tinkertoys:
Holtsclaw you said it best. I wish you would bring "Back Road to Indy" out of retirement!
I'm glad to hear Rowdy is still wanted....I know we all had a great time doing that stuff. I watched some of it the other day and just had to shake my head. What were we thinking?
3 Likes: hbmundy, Scott Bradley, tinkertoys