IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
on_the_edge (Offline)
  #11 9/9/14 11:10 PM
Ran a 100 lapper at haubstadt one year in the mid 2000's not sure of the exact year thinking Kevin briscoe won only remember having that race for the one year could have been 2 years they did it though.

"It's the fastest who get paid, and the fastest who get laid".
mac miller (Offline)
  #12 9/10/14 12:02 AM
Actually, its not about the laps.... its about the miles.

A real SC race is 100 laps, nonstop, on a mile track, not 100 laps on a half mile. big difference...

The real Hut Hundred was a 100 laps on the half mile at Terra Haute,
not 100 laps on a quarter mile. big difference...

Real USAC sprint car features were 40 laps, 50 laps and, even, some 100 lap features at half mile places like Winchester, Salem, Dayton, New Breman, Eldora and Terra Haute, not 30 laps at quarter miles like Bloomington, Kokomo and Gas City.

I quess that there just aren't many fans left who remember full length feature races on full size tracks.......

mac miller in INDY
5 Likes: captrat, DaveP63, oljonesy, photoman, racer5c
jim goerge (Offline)
  #13 9/10/14 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by on_the_edge:
Ran a 100 lapper at haubstadt one year in the mid 2000's not sure of the exact year thinking Kevin briscoe won only remember having that race for the one year could have been 2 years they did it though.
Didn't that race wind up with a break at lap 50 for fuel or something? I don't remember Had a couple or several beers that night
davidm (Offline)
  #14 9/10/14 8:00 AM
Williams Grove National Open started as a 100 lap race at one time it expanded to 150 laps then was reduced to 75 before it became just another WoO show like it is now. Hagerstown Speedway's Hub City National open started as a 100 Lap for Sprints before it morphed into a Late Model race.
JJMooney (Offline)
  #15 9/10/14 8:09 AM
Originally Posted by jim goerge:
Didn't that race wind up with a break at lap 50 for fuel or something? I don't remember Had a couple or several beers that night
The 100 lapper at Haubstadt took place on 06/06/2006. It was an MSCS event won by Kevin Briscoe. There was a break halfway for fuel and I think if you changed a tire you went to the rear. I remember the first half being a pretty good race up front. The second half, not so much.
Eatin Dirt (Offline)
  #16 9/10/14 9:55 PM
Not for sure, but I think in the late 60's or early 70's there was a 100 lapped at Lawrenceburg. I was a youngster then, but Fishburger might be able to confirm for me.