IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Ty (Offline)
  #11 2/27/14 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by apexonephoto:
I'm a race chaser so the easy answer is Waynesfield if you've never been. We all know TSS is a great facility, but Ohio is a wide state when you are just passing through. Waynesfield is rather wide in my opinion, and they can run three wide. You can shoot hot laps from 3-4 and shoot the racing from the infield. Not much cell service, if I remember correctly. BOSS is still non wing, so you get to shoot some different cool cars.

Another option I have is Oakshade Raceway, which has a 10,000 to win HELL tour super late model race that Saturday. Yes I realize that this is a sprint car site. I enjoy all types of racing as long as it's on dirt. Oakshade to my house is about the same is Waynesfield to my house. (just under 8 hrs). So that's another possibility. Anybody on here ever been to Oakshade Raceway?
apexonephoto (Offline)
  #12 2/27/14 1:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ty:
Another option I have is Oakshade Raceway, which has a 10,000 to win HELL tour super late model race that Saturday. Yes I realize that this is a sprint car site. I enjoy all types of racing as long as it's on dirt. Oakshade to my house is about the same is Waynesfield to my house. (just under 8 hrs). So that's another possibility. Anybody on here ever been to Oakshade Raceway?
Oakshade is an hour or so south of my house. They run 3 classes, no mods, just sport stocks and bombers I think. The birthday race is the end of the month long hell tour, and also the tracks birthday. A lot of really good Illinois area racers along with a decent field of regulars. The cars look like you would expect after a month of living on the road and racing almost every night (sure makes sprint week, or any other "week" look weak). The racing is usually pretty good. T-Mac won the last time I was there for this event, 57 late models showed up.
Josh Spencer (Offline)
  #13 2/27/14 2:22 PM
Speaking for Kokomo only and everyone of the places you are going have many great attractions. For Kokomo you can visit the website www.visitkokomo.org for everything you need to know about Kokomo, from restaurants to main attractions. While you are here you can eat at Spencer Racing's main sponsor, Half-Moon and Brewery restaurant (family friendly), located at 931 and Center Road. If you need ice or drinks another sponsor of ours is Woody's convenience store, located at Phillips and North St. Have fun and enjoy!

Josh Spencer
3 Likes: backstretchdave, i love dirt track racing, speed bump
dirt in ur beer (Offline)
  #14 2/27/14 2:35 PM
We're coming from near the Iowa, illinois border. Im land locked in late model country. Actually still crew on one. Sprint cars are my passion though. Sponsored a few, even 1 world of outlaws . been going to kville nationals for 20 yrs but got my first taste of nonwing and midgets last year and absolutely fell in love with both. Gonna spend this summer seeing both as much as possible. I hear Indiana is a gd place to do it.
8 Likes: apexonephoto, davidm, FEATHERDUSTER, jim goerge, mtek56, nathans1012, racing2bwithu2, robert gatten
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #15 2/27/14 2:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ty:
Oakshade Raceway is a great track. Been there a few times and the racing is darn good. I'm the same way love all types of racing. Their bathrooms need updated big time but everything else is good. Good food, nice fans, Good variety of souvenirs, & easy to get to. They get a huge field of cars for only having 3 or 4 classes. Last time I was there in May last year: about 35 ALMS/ UMP Late Models, 32 UMP Sportsman, 57 Bombers, & 25 4-cylinders. The bomber races make it work going to. Those guys put on one heck of a show.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
cmiracingvids (Offline)
  #16 2/27/14 3:15 PM
Originally Posted by dirt in ur beer:
We're coming from near the Iowa, illinois border. Im land locked in late model country. Actually still crew on one. Sprint cars are my passion though. Sponsored a few, even 1 world of outlaws . been going to kville nationals for 20 yrs but got my first taste of nonwing and midgets last year and absolutely fell in love with both. Gonna spend this summer seeing both as much as possible. I hear Indiana is a gd place to do it.
I'm originally from Wisconsin, and I was just like you before I moved to Indiana. I thought winged sprint cars were the best and midgets a close second. Now, to me, midgets are the most exciting to watch, with non wing close behind. The racing is so much closer without a wing and driver talent is much more evident. I think Kokomo is the coolest track you'll see...but that's just my opinion. Lawrenceburgs facility rivals knoxvilles, and the people at the burg are simply the best. Welcome to the best racing state in our nation, I know you'll have a great time!
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #17 2/27/14 3:39 PM
For Gas City and Kokomo, The earlier you get there, the better seats you'll get. Gas City is very limited Gates are open most of the day to set a seat. Kokomo gates ususally open at 3pm

Burg Pit gate opens at 3 or 4, maybe earlier just open then they'll run you out about 330 to make sure everyones paid. Usually can get a good seat up till hotlaps then you'll be searching but there will be seats in main grandstand and tons of open seating in turn two.. Main Gate at 5

For Ty, Waynesfield averaged about 36 cars a show, Add Boss, You'll be pushing 45. Good show, Lot of classes but good show and track.

Charles Nungester
Ty (Offline)
  #18 2/27/14 3:46 PM
I will probably end up sending photo requests to both places and go to whichever one has the best weather forecast lol. Both Waynesfield and Oakshade look like sweet places and I enjoy both non-wing sprint cars and super late models.
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #19 2/27/14 6:29 PM
Gas City is a great place to get a pit pass and by-pass the munchkin grandstands. Get there when you want and there is a small adult grandstand in the pits.
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #20 2/27/14 6:36 PM
Hit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. Well worth the stop.

Word to the wise, though: After seeing all of the old cars you will be shaking your head after you leave asking yourself why there cannot be that much diversity today.