IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #11 10/26/13 1:52 PM
Gateway is the most exciting pavement track the Silver Crown cars race at. I remember winning there in 1997 with HAR and Pat Abold as the driver. There was a 4 way battle for the lead almost the entire race with Danny Drinan, Ryan Newman, and Kenny Irwin. It was pretty cool watching the drafting that went on down those long straightaways and all of the lead changes. The next year we ran 2 cars with Brad Armstrong finishing 7th and winning the rookie of the race award.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
7 Likes: billwill7, BrentTFunk, dirtball, FishBurger, luckybuc97, racing2bwithu2, ronmil
wing410fan (Offline)
  #12 10/26/13 5:15 PM
Originally Posted by sc96:
If USAC can get the Slivercrown cars back with NASCAR on NASCAR week ends it is a move in the right direction. You can bash all you want but when USAC went that direction before we had more interest from outside the main circle of people. There were more sponsership opertunities we made a lot more money from the top down. But bad decisions from the top ruined it. The whole new car idea split the core group instead of a meet in the middle plan it was all or nothing then it all blew up and we all got screwed. But getting back with NASCAR has way more advantages than disadvantages. I was there I saw it cashed the checks. I really hope it works out for the group still running with USAC . If it shows promise I might even get one of my cars out of storage and put someone in it.
I would love to see usac go and race with nascar, as long as they don`t do anything to the current car. Making team go out and buy new car or something like that.
dkdorkboy (Online)
  #13 10/27/13 11:26 AM
Isn't June 14th about midget week?Usac moving Midget week next year or maybe flying some of the drivers to Lawrenceburg that nite.

Ancient wise man say man who get into race for free never see bad race.
Jonr (Offline)
  #14 10/27/13 12:53 PM
This topic is almost as entertaining as listening to a midget owner rail against big tire companies. On one hand people will argue that we need to do something to make SC cars relevant in the future. When anyone does anything to make them relevant, the same people will complain that we want to make changes to the SC cars.

It all makes me laugh.
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirt330
sc96 (Offline)
  #15 10/27/13 8:11 PM
Don't change anything on the cars just run the tracks that are suitable to the Slivercrown cars on and run on NASCAR weekends and you will see cars come out that have been parked for years
2 Likes: dirt330, koolaid89
racer5c (Offline)
  #16 10/27/13 10:41 PM
from what I remember, NASCAR thought the cars really taught the Jeff Gordon's, Ryan Newman's, Tony Stewart's etc to have such great car control, so what do they do? completely change the cars, MAYBE what they should have done was build mile tracks in the infield of all their tracks instead and left the cars alone
slick01 (Offline)
  #17 10/28/13 12:23 AM
NASCAR ruins everything it is associated with. I probably don't know enough about Silver Crown/USAC ********, but that new car concept was a disaster and SC hasn't been the same since.
Crankin (Offline)
  #18 10/28/13 9:55 AM
Originally Posted by dkdorkboy:
Isn't June 14th about midget week?Usac moving Midget week next year or maybe flying some of the drivers to Lawrenceburg that nite.
Whoops! Nevermind. I guess I was wrong.
There's a first for everything.
davidm (Offline)
  #19 10/28/13 11:21 AM
One of the best combined programs I saw USAC and NASCAR run together was when they ran the two together at Richmond. Would love to see the two back there again!
2 Likes: dirt330, FishBurger
racerX (Offline)
  #20 10/29/13 9:09 AM
The problem is that the older generation is ok with 100 mile races. But the older fans/racer,owners are leaving, and the younger fans get bored with something that last a long time.The younger fans want quick entertainment.We are no longer a endurance motorsports community. Look at the things that are popular now 20 to 30 laps fast action.The young generation can only stay focused for a short amount of time. USAC is spending alot of money to try to have races.The problem is that the tracks say your product is not entertaining enough, and is a huge risk to take a chance. Just think a $60K show would have to have 3000 adults @ $20 just to pay the purse. That does not include anything else like Help,Insurance,track prep,advertising. We just need to be glad that USAC is trying to get us some shows to attend.That talk about how the races use to paid x amount of dollars to win back in the day. But they use to have a packed grandstand back then now it is half. This is all pretty simple, just do the math, Purse and overhead vs crowd = not good these days,and you will see that very few if any tracks are getting rich off racing. JMO