IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #11 6/16/09 1:29 PM
Originally Posted by mlight9:
superduke, would you know of anyone or anywhere there might be a pic of the woodbury car ??
Mlight9.

---------- post added at 10:32 pm ---------- previous post was at 10:26 pm ----------

speedwrench, is there an expert on leffler history that could verify or dispute the info of his possibly owning the car ???
Mlight9.
call info in union city ohio 937 area for woodburys or shams wrecking yard in uc in.
mlight9 (Offline)
  #12 6/18/09 5:17 PM
psullivan, again thanks for all the info. The book you mentioned(Echoes______), could you possibly post the pic of the #76 of B. Marvin ??? You also mentioned a car with a fin, is that a different car or the # 76 ??? Either way, if you can, I would like the car #76. If this is not possible, that's fine, you have been very helpful.
mlight9.
mlight9 (Offline)
  #13 6/19/09 12:35 AM
SUPERDUKE, took your advice. Got # for Sham's Wrecking in U.C. Spoke to Sham, says & he referred me to Gary Woodbury (Woodbury Welding), his father owned car & later traded off, he thinks to a Gene Petro (not sure of spelling) from either Dayton or Columbus. Nothing more than that. However, he says has some pix of the car & is going to send me some. So, all in all, your tip was worthwhile, Thanks much,
mlight9.
cecil98 (Offline)
  #14 6/19/09 5:57 AM
I remember watching Bobby Marvin drive a red colored roadster in the early 60's.
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #15 6/19/09 8:31 AM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
i remember watching bobby marvin drive a red colored roadster in the early 60's.
warren null's car from columbus ohio
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #16 6/19/09 5:16 PM
Originally Posted by mlight9:
Superduke, would you know of anyone or anywhere there might be a pic of the Woodbury car ??
mlight9.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Speedwrench, is there an expert on Leffler history that could verify or dispute the info of his possibly owning the car ???
mlight9.
I think I saw the information I related in my post in either Sprint Car & Midget or Vintage Oval Racing. Off hand, I don't remember how long ago it was.

As for Leffler historians, I'm not aware of one. I think that Paul's son Greg is still in Indiana in some kind of racing related business. Perhaps one of the other posters on this board knows how to contact Greg and he could fill the holes in my story.
mlight9 (Offline)
  #17 6/27/09 1:53 PM
Originally Posted by psullivan:
Here was what I sent you -

I mentioned the other picture in Tony's book - it is a victory lane shot from the 1961 Portsmouth Invitational - I can't read the number - the sponsor is __________ (can't read) Balancing service and the caption says it was wrenched by Bud Wacholz
psullivan, after your info re B. Marvin, I was able to find the book you mentioned but the pix were of the Null Bros cars, not what I am looking for. But, thanks very much.
mlight9.
Midwest Connection (Offline)
  #18 6/28/09 1:13 AM
I have a Bobby Marvin paper copy that was sent to me by a friend from Michigan. It shows Bobby Marvin driving a supermodified - possibly the # 76, the # 76 sprint car with the sunburst, and the # 8 sprint car. I also have photos of Tom York in the Nulls Chevy. And a photo of Gordon Dukes in the # 62 supermodified from the 60's.

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri
Maxspeed99
  #19 9/10/09 6:47 PM
The B& J Sprint Car was featured in an article on Bobby in the February 2006 issue of Flat Out Magazine. That sprint car is one of Boby's early USAc rides and was owned by Jane Campbell along with Marvin. as for the photos in my "Ecoes" book, the two roadsters shown at Portsmouth are actually he same car. The 1960 version with the upright wing or rudder on the tail, was the Null bros car and was powerd by a 6 cylinder - Jimmie i think. When Bobby won in 1961 (by nearly a lap over Wayne McGuire), he owned the car along with Bud Wacholz of Columbus. Wacholz completely rebuilt the car and dropped in a Chevy V8 for power. it was a different animal for sure. Marvin, on ocassion, drove a black sprinter about this time with limited success. The Wacholz-wrenched winning car ran the night before this big event on the Atomic (now K-C) dirt. The tail was damaged and removed for this event. Both versions of this car carried the #76 which was Marvin's usual number. Nulls also competed with a roadster in USAC in later years with Lennie Waldo driving.
bobbymarvin
  #20 12/2/09 2:26 AM
email me i can provide all you need
bobbymarvin@yahoo.com

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

let me be clear about this i am the son of the bobby marvin you are talking about.I raced at kc speedway in the 80's and drove in arca for about 6 years