IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #11 8/11/19 8:01 PM
I would love to see non-winged racing eventually get an event that has the status and recognition that the Knoxville Nationals has. Knoxville’s purse, longevity, attendance, and notoriety make it clearly the bigger event.
oldfan49 (Offline)
  #12 8/11/19 9:23 PM
It comes down to whether you are going for the racing or for the show
3 Likes: captrat, mc/rider, tirespinner
Points (Offline)
  #13 8/12/19 3:24 AM
so Knoxville Wins easy. Much higher attendance 24000 just on Saturday. Much higher purse, nearly a million dollars. Much higher car count. lots of community involvement. radio shows, cornhole tournaments, other racing events leading into it. Monster 50/50's. festival Atmosphere. Knoxville has had a lot of practice and is very tuned in.

I think A good opportunity for non wing to have a rival event would be the Cornbelt nationals. It is in the place that knows how to do it. Just needs a little time to grow.

With that said I do love Kokomo and have been visiting both once or twice a year.
Dirtfan (Offline)
  #14 8/12/19 7:52 AM
Knoxville easily,as others have mentioned,the payouts,the crowds,the way the town gets involved,businesses
etc.
It's like comparing Indy 500 vs the Little 500,Peyton Manning vs Jeff George,Bob Knight vs Lon Kruger,my bankroll vs Dennis Roth's,on & on.
Smackdown pays 10k to win,Knoxville pays 10k for 24th,first car not to transfer pays 1k.
Smackdown is good,Knoxville with its history & longevity,says it all.

Dan Hetser

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
5 Likes: i love dirt track racing, midnightrider, mlamb, tirespinner, wildman92