#11 8/21/11 11:58 AM
Brian was on American Racers.
Attachments:
4.jpg (112.5 KB)

2 Likes: cowboyhar69, Hubie
racefan20 (Offline)
  #12 8/21/11 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam:
It's more dangerous to go to the concert in bad weather.
Dude that was uncalled for.

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
18 Likes: 9racing, Al Pierce, BrentTFunk, Bruce Harrison, cowboyhar69, dirtnonwingfan, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, koolaid89, Mud Packer, opie, PJ Wright, REH24, ronmil, team3521, thebus79h, Vukie
KOP (Offline)
  #13 8/21/11 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by racefan20:
Dude that was uncalled for.
Agreed "LOW" blow
4 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, thebus79h, Vukie
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #14 8/21/11 2:25 PM
I too, was actually encouraged yesterday. I admit, I was always one of the first ones to complain about track prep at the mile in the past few years. I thought it was a lot better this year, not perfect, but better. I also don't see how the safety of the fairgoers is in any way an issue. The announcer said that Beechler was the first car upside down since 2003. I haven't seen one even close to leaving the ballpark since the 80's, and that was a midget. Attendance definitely leaves some room for improvement. I think it could be solved with some creative advertising, or at least some advertising. I never heard one commercial on the radio or saw one on TV. I didn't see a billboard or banner or flyer about the race anywhere. With a little TLC, this race could be a big event again. It seems like people have been trying to write the obituary for the Silver Crown and the miles for many years. The fact remains that it is still a great series, and too see them run on the miles is just cool beyond words. My $.02

For those about to rock, we salute you.
5 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, Jack Dupp, PAW, Ricks Pics, sw1911
miledirt (Offline)
  #15 8/21/11 2:52 PM
I had to miss because of a wedding, otherwise I'm always at this race - and I know some other STL folks who got scared off by the morning radar.

It would be cool if local tracks could form some kind of partnership with Track Enterprises toward promotion... some kind of modified qualifier series or something to get more mods back to the miles in Illinois.
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #16 8/21/11 3:07 PM
Originally Posted by SpfldMile:
It seems like people have been trying to write the obituary for the Silver Crown and the miles for many years.
You're right, Gary. Silver Crown racing on the mile dirt tracks is kind of like Zsa Zsa Gabor. Every couple of years or so you hear that the end is near and that a priest has been called in to read her her last rights. And that subject goes away until the next time the last rights are to be read. If it weren't for Bob Sargent though, who knows? For several years now, it seems like he's the only one that seems to have the will to keep putting these events on. Bundling this one with two POWRI Midget events seems like an idea that worked. For fans in that area and drivers trying to cut down on travel expenses, alike.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
coondog (Offline)
  #17 8/21/11 4:13 PM
I have felt in the past that USAC doesn't do enough to promote their races. But I have to give them credit on Springfield. Dick Jordan took Tanner Swanson and I to Springfield Wed. We did 2 phone interviews before we left, then did 2 TV interviews, 2 newspaper, and 1 radio. Then we did another TV interview in Decatur on the way home. I know one of the news interviews was being sent to Champaign. They had tried for another newspaper in Decatur but wanted nothing to do with writing an article for the race.
Posted via Mobile Device
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan, IndyBound, jim goerge, racephoto1, Steve Wendel, Vukie
sp6967 (Offline)
  #18 8/21/11 4:36 PM
i will never attend another silver crown on the miles as long as the run the twin fifty format.
2 Likes: Cel Cripe, reserved1
illiNOISE (Offline)
  #19 8/21/11 8:49 PM
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam:
You maybe didn't see how awesome it was in hot laps and time trials.
Actually, we WERE there for hot laps. And yes, it was decent in hot laps. Too bad they used it up by running that extra practice session. But I think most folks know and accept that a Silver Crown race on a mile will never have the same quality of racing that we see on bullrings.

I know you wanted it to suck so you could tell everyone why but too bad for you, it didn't.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you could not be more wrong. I love the champ cars on the mile. I love that the race gets a little bit of mainstream credibility by being run during the State Fair. There's just an extra substance to a race that has a souvenier program with a form letter from the Governor. (in spite of how folks might feel about the office holder at the time.) And it's not every day you can see a butter cow after the race.

Even Roman Chariots ran non-wing, and on dirt. Hail Caesar!
kart31rac (Offline)
  #20 8/21/11 9:18 PM
I was talking with the Donnie Beechler the other day, he said wouldnt it be nice if it was like the old days when the dirt points counted for champ car points now that would be neat, I went to my first fair race in 1966 and have went every year since, a couple off for living out of state. But there is nothing better than champ cars on the mile. Some years they will flip, track will be awful and one lane, but then there are years with Al Unser in the Johnny lighting spl. running the cushion and only a roll bar. Or Poncho Carter flapping his arms down the front stright to keep the blood flowing in them. And Chuck Gurney smoking everyone. Champ Cars on the mile is like poetry in motion. JMO older than most of you on here and still going to races
2 Likes: DirtyD, SpfldMile