IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
duel (Offline)
  #11 10/31/21 10:49 PM
I was at a big wing Woo show at devils bowl around 1980. The NCRA? champ cars from Oklahoma I believe had a race the next day. They had practice with the Woo the night before and Sammy dumped one off 4. The Nance #1. The only other champ car silver crown type division I can remember. I remember Woo running New Breman without wings.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, jdull99
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #12 10/31/21 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd:
Had the pleasure as a senior in high school to attend the first WoO race at Devil's Bowl. One my heroes Tom Corbin, who I consider one of the very best ever to race a sprint car, finished third. Rode down with Ray Marler who now runs I-55 Raceway (Pevely) for Schrader. Ray actually replaced Corbin with Schrader a few years later in his 14 sprint car.

Jimmy Boyd won without a wing.

I still have my t-shirt from that day. It says .. "World of Outlaws Run Whacha Brung" and has a wing car on front and a non-wing car on the back.

That’s cool, does the shirt still fit?

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, nathans1012, opnwhlmnd, racenut69, Stevensville Mike
jdull99 (Offline)
  #13 11/1/21 1:52 AM
Originally Posted by duel:
I was at a big wing Woo show at devils bowl around 1980. The NCRA? champ cars from Oklahoma I believe had a race the next day. They had practice with the Woo the night before and Sammy dumped one off 4. The Nance #1. The only other champ car silver crown type division I can remember. I remember Woo running New Breman without wings.
Don't 4get about the Silver Crown division that was formed when usac had the NASCAR track car...

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
revjimk (Offline)
  #14 11/1/21 2:07 AM
Had the pleasure as a senior in high school to attend the first WoO race at Devil's Bowl. One my heroes Tom Corbin, who I consider one of the very best ever to race a sprint car, finished third. Rode down with Ray Marler who now runs I-55 Raceway (Pevely) for Schrader. Ray actually replaced Corbin with Schrader a few years later in his 14 sprint car.

Jimmy Boyd won without a wing.

I still have my t-shirt from that day. It says .. "World of Outlaws Run Whacha Brung" and has a wing car on front and a non-wing car on the back.
You mean Boyd ran wingless & beat cars with wings????
Or were they all wingless?
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #15 11/1/21 4:00 AM
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo:
Now THAT'S funny!

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike
4 Likes: luckybuc97, nathans1012, opnwhlmnd, Rich Mersereau
cmakin (Offline)
  #16 11/1/21 5:16 AM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
You mean Boyd ran wingless & beat cars with wings????
Or were they all wingless?
All were wingless. Boyd was driving the Kenny Woodruff 21. No, I wasn't there but saw that combination race a bunch at West Capital back in the day.

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
2 Likes: Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97
opnwhlmnd (Offline)
  #17 11/1/21 8:53 AM
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo:
Post of the year belongs to the Chief!!!

I dug it out not long ago. I'm thinking did I really used to be that small?

Find a purpose in life ..... Be a bad example
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, nathans1012, racenut69
fishnman (Offline)
  #18 11/1/21 9:41 AM
Cant quite remember the exact time, was at Devils Bowl, Sammy was in the Bruce Cogle sponsored #44. Remember always rooting for Johnny Suggs. Local Steve Perry was a Hot shoe. The year and a half was in Dallas area we usually went to Buffalo Park in Carrolton, but always tried to take in 3 shows at the Bowl
2 Likes: chrismattlin, nathans1012
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #19 11/1/21 12:11 PM
Post of the year belongs to the Chief!!!

I dug it out not long ago. I'm thinking did I really used to be that small?
I think those shirts shrink up over time. I have a bin full of some like that.
5 Likes: Hustlin-Hoosier, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd, oppweld, Pitdad
double checkered (Offline)
  #20 11/1/21 2:10 PM
When Aaron bought FAST, I had hoped he would be able to do some overlapping with his BOSS series to have maybe have an "overall" point series. But I don't know many who run both disciplines.