IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Wayne Davis (Offline)
  #11 8/9/15 1:23 PM
Question?
316 Ignition and Fuel Systems Operational variable valve timing is strictly prohibited.
I was told by a prominent Ecotec engine builder that this must be hook up for the engine to run correctly. D-2 Allowed it cause that what was told to allow the ecotec to run. So this is entirely untrue Ray?

Good work, good incite..keep it up

Southern Outlaw Motorsports
Jacksonville, Florida
The Original Southern Outlaw

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Ray3 (Offline)
  #12 8/9/15 1:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis:
Question?
316 Ignition and Fuel Systems Operational variable valve timing is strictly prohibited.
I was told by a prominent Ecotec engine builder that this must be hook up for the engine to run correctly. D-2 Allowed it cause that what was told to allow the ecotec to run. So this is entirely untrue Ray?

Good work, good incite..keep it up
This is entirely untrue. I would recommend doing some research on VVT before taking someone's word especially when it is coming from someone who builds an engine you are writing the rules for. I have personally witnessed cars running a VVT capable engine with the VVT disconnected.

Would you like me to address your other questions that were deleted? For instance, the Duratec 2.5 engine can be made legal by swapping out the 2.5 Duratec crank with the 2.3 Duratec crank. Crankshafts for the Duratec 2.3 are under $200 brand new and they are a forged crank! Please feel free to call Esslinger Engineering to discuss the Ford Duratec engines as they are currently developing them to run with the 2.4L Midget Series. You may also call Quinn McCabe with the Badger Midget Auto Racing Association. Brandon Waelti won the last BMARA event at Angell Park Speedway utilizing a legal Ford Duratec (Mazda) Midget engine.
2 Likes: DAD, RayPro33
Wayne Davis (Offline)
  #13 8/9/15 2:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ray3:
This is entirely untrue. I would recommend doing some research on VVT before taking someone's word especially when it is coming from someone who builds an engine you are writing the rules for. I have personally witnessed cars running a VVT capable engine with the VVT disconnected.
Thanks for the info Ray

Southern Outlaw Motorsports
Jacksonville, Florida
The Original Southern Outlaw

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

DaGuy (Offline)
  #14 8/9/15 4:32 PM
For being a national guy I have been watching the production engine thing. I have seen series say no purpose built engines. If you take and use heads and blocks and cranks from different engines is that nor a purpose built engine. As far as keeping cost down why would you not as a rule maker make builders use the stock pistons and cams. Those are two big expenses with any engine. The production engines should be a feeder to national racing if so desired. I understand that parts cost money so money on pumps intakes and exhaust and ignition systems has to be spent. All of that is reusable so why not keep the money out of three engines?
2 Likes: Avon Open Wheel fan, hullracing
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #15 8/9/15 5:29 PM
A stock engine series is the Honda HPD Midget ( factory stock engine with a new manifold,dry sump) it is about 230 HP without the restrictor , I still believe it very doable for the stock block Honda/Eco etc to run with USAC/POWRI etc with EFI, division splitting or creating new sub classes of Midgets/Sprints etc. ultimately hurts the racing !
Ray3 (Offline)
  #16 8/9/15 5:38 PM
Originally Posted by DaGuy:
For being a national guy I have been watching the production engine thing. I have seen series say no purpose built engines. If you take and use heads and blocks and cranks from different engines is that nor a purpose built engine.
I disagree with your statement that these would be "purpose built" by swapping parts. The definition of purpose built would be an engine that is built specifically for midget racing, sprint car racing etc. These parts are built for road use. Fortunately, for us they are mass produced in large quantities making them very inexpensive and they can be purchased individually at the junkyard, from a parts supplier or direct from the manufacturers themselves.

One thing about rules is you never write a rule you cannot police. Recently, an engine went to an event that was not legal by the series' rules due to having a head on a block that it was not offered on from the factory. The owner of the series allowed it to run. The day before a gentleman with the same engine asked the series up front if his car could run and he was told to stay home. Even the person running the series was not able to tell the engine had mixed parts.

As far as keeping cost down why would you not as a rule maker make builders use the stock pistons and cams. Those are two big expenses with any engine. The production engines should be a feeder to national racing if so desired. I understand that parts cost money so money on pumps intakes and exhaust and ignition systems has to be spent. All of that is reusable so why not keep the money out of three engines?
Stock components are hard to police as well. Policing a "stock" cam is nearly impossible at the race track. How does one determine that the cam in the engine is not a regrind of a stock cam? The only way is to put it on a cam doctor and check it. This requires taking the cams out at a race track with dirt flying around and possibly entering the engine which was likely assembled in a clean room. Then, the question becomes who is responsible for paying to have the cams put back in and timed if the engine is perfectly legal? Why go through all that when a set of cams for these engines can run as low as $400-$600 a set depending on the engine? (Edit: To purchase a pair of STOCK cams from the OEM dealer would cost almost the same as aftermarket performance cams)

The stock engine program has been tried and failed. The USAC Ford Focus Midget Series was a completely stock engine series and it failed. Other series have tried the stock rules program and the fog of cheating hovers over those groups which in turn hinders growth. When rules cannot be policed accusations of cheating become a regular occurrence and teams become discouraged, upset and ultimately drop from the sport.

DaGuy, where are you currently racing your National midget?
hullracing (Offline)
  #17 8/9/15 6:41 PM
Which motor was allowed to run and which motor was told to stay home? And specs of the motor and what was changed per rules stated for the series?
DaGuy (Offline)
  #18 8/9/15 6:51 PM
Indiana dirt stuff. Cam can be as low as 400-600. But they go up from there there is a power I series down here we been looking at. If it's going to be cheaper it needs to be way cheaper. I'm sure if there are really grinds someone could measure a base circle.
Ray3 (Offline)
  #19 8/9/15 6:58 PM
Indiana dirt stuff. Cam can be as low as 400-600. But they go up from there there is a power I series down here we been looking at. If it's going to be cheaper it needs to be way cheaper. I'm sure if there are really grinds someone could measure a base circle.
Where in Indiana do you run? Who drives for you? Maybe we can meet when I come to Indiana some time. I understand your concern for cost, and ultimately I see a 50%+ reduction in cost as extremely significant especially when engine rebuilds are significantly reduced as well. The resale value is also reduced so its a win for everyone. Hope you decide to get involved and good luck racing the rest of the season.
hullracing (Offline)
  #20 8/9/15 7:04 PM
The motor that was deemed illegal was a mixture of 2.5 head and block with a 2.3 crank. Per rules yes that's not legal. The motor that ran I had a talk with at the track and he told numerous people it was a stock 2.3 throughout and he built himself to the rules of the IMRA. If it is true action will be in place and policing of those motors will be in place since it was the first duratec to run in the series. Things are progress not everything can be controlled off the bat especially with new motor configurations but still rely on owners/drivers to be honest about what is there. Same with every series out there.