IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #11 8/24/20 2:48 PM
Upon further review....I can see why Leary wasn’t too pleased. The video shows how Larson cut him off and Leary did a great job avoiding a crash. Call it what you want. Hope to see them both go at it again.
2 Likes: billw, TQ97
Puppy (Offline)
  #12 8/24/20 4:42 PM
It was an odd looking maneuver, wasn't sure if it was a mistake of some sort or what....
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #13 8/24/20 4:56 PM
Originally Posted by Puppy:
It was an odd looking maneuver, wasn't sure if it was a mistake of some sort or what....
Having watched many years of dry slick, rubber down wing racing here in Ohio, the move was familiar to my eyes. Drive deep on the outside, clear, turn down (chop), and block the inside car's momentum. Inside driver has 2 choices...break and steer away or run over the outside driver chopping you, taking both out. CJ took the correct choice. He simply could not retaliate. Familiar move. Fair move? In the eye of the beholder.
3 Likes: erich45, JustAddDirt69, spicoli
brsteg (Offline)
  #14 8/24/20 5:10 PM
Originally Posted by Will Shunk:
Having watched many years of dry slick, rubber down wing racing here in Ohio, the move was familiar to my eyes. Drive deep on the outside, clear, turn down (chop), and block the inside car's momentum. Inside driver has 2 choices...break and steer away or run over the outside driver chopping you, taking both out. CJ took the correct choice. He simply could not retaliate. Familiar move. Fair move? In the eye of the beholder.
If you watch the highlights from Flo they show Sunshine passing Leary on a restarts basically the exact same way.

The difference was Larson broke it loose sooner (did he need to scrub more speed 9r was it to get a reaction from CJ?) and (my belief) being later in the race CJ stayed in it deeper into the corner instead of conceding the corner. Both differences ended up with a much tighter and exciting result... In which CJ eventually had to bail and get out of shape to avoid the wreck.
2 Likes: erich45, Will Shunk
jonboat15 (Offline)
  #15 8/24/20 5:50 PM
I think it was a chop job but those happen all the time anymore its part of racing just like slide jobs, it was aggressive, I don't about dirty though.
2 Likes: Chase Hightower, JustAddDirt69
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #16 8/24/20 6:25 PM
I thought it was awesome balls up move by Larson especially since it was on Leary and he got it to stick and turn. Knew Leary wasn’t going to be happy ( he never is ). Just glad Leary had some sense to let up a little bit and not crash both cars. Really didn’t think his brakes were gonna hold up as hard as Leary was running. Them rotors were glowing!!

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
5 Likes: jim goerge, JustAddDirt69, luckybuc97, oppweld, spicoli
kendirt (Offline)
  #17 8/24/20 6:53 PM
Leary had 31 laps to get him back right?
7 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, interpreter66, jim goerge, JustAddDirt69, luckybuc97, oppweld, spicoli
Chase Hightower (Offline)
  #18 8/24/20 7:20 PM
Is t clean passes and not making contact part of racing though? I’m not being a smart aww about it, please don’t take it that way. I thought it was clean and just a gutsy move. He was obviously faster. JMO.
2 Likes: luckybuc97, oppweld
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #19 8/24/20 7:45 PM
Larson has been doing this all year in winged sprints including 2 incidents at Knoxville recently. To be fair he has gotten used up just as much the last couple of weeks and never complains. He’s very gifted but also an extremely smart racer which is basically unbeatable these days no matter what he runs.
6 Likes: JustAddDirt69, Kinser11, luckybuc97, nedra_bahler_835@com, oppweld, racenut69
Adolph (Offline)
  #20 8/24/20 8:05 PM
Next time just hit him instead of braking.
4 Likes: Kinser11, motorhead748, progressive22, sw1911