IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Greatest 33 @ the Indy 500 of All Time?
1/27/11, 10:07 AM   #11
Re: The Greatest 33 @ the Indy 500 of All Tim
t-dog

Would never put Fittipaldi on the list he refuse the milk for his own oj commercial ! Maybe thats why the wall grab him the next year.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Manic Racing, Need For Speed, stp6237
1/27/11, 4:17 PM   #12
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
Not the point of the poll. Still don't agree with your list regardless. Roberto Moreno is the best Roberto Moreno that ever drove. That's about all I will give you on him. There's about 10 other guys I would remove too.

My list:

Rick Mears, A.J. Foyt, Al Unser
Wiber Shaw, Johnny Rutherford, Bobby Unser
Bill Vukovich, Ralph DePalma, Helio Castroneves
Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Louie Meyer
Parnelli Jones, Mauri Rose, Gordy Johncock
Roger Ward, Al Unser, Jr., Jim Clark
Dario Franchitti, Tom Sneva, Billy Arnold
Arie Luyenkyk, Bill Holland, Mark Donohue
Dan Wheldon, Bobby Rahal, Tommy Milton
Jimmy Bryan, Mike Andretti, Rex Mays
Ted Horn, Lloyd Ruby, Gary Bettenhausen
Is that Wiber Shaw any relation to Wilbur? Just kidding! Wilbur Shaw was one of my favorites. I enjoyed his automobile road tests in Popular Science magazine and "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" was one of the first racing books I bought. Sadly, he died in a plane crash on Oct. 30, 1954 near Decatur, IN on his way back from testing the 1955 Chrysler. I am surprised that his hometown of Shelbyville, IN does not have any recognition of him, such as a plaque denoting that as his hometown.
Last edited by ronmil; 1/27/11 at 9:01 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/27/11, 5:42 PM   #13
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Is that Wiber Shaw any relation to Wilbur? Just kidding! Wilbur Shaw was one of my favorites. I enjoyed his automobile road test in Popular Science magazine and "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" was one of the first racing books I bought. Sadly, he died in a plane crash on Oct. 30, 1954 near Decatur, IN on his way back from testing the 1955 Chrysler. I am surprised that his hometown of Shelbyville, IN does not have any recognition of him, such as a plaque denoting that as his hometown.
Shaw's book is one of the best I have ever read. I urge anybody that hasn't read it to do so.

Speaking of driver's hometowns, I just recently found out that Ted Horn was born in my hometown of Cincinnati. Cool.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
1/27/11, 7:47 PM   #14
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

My list would be different, because I wouldn't include anyone who didn't drive a front-engined car. :-)

2 members like this post: billwill, brian26
1/27/11, 9:06 PM   #15
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Shaw's book is one of the best I have ever read. I urge anybody that hasn't read it to do so.

Speaking of driver's hometowns, I just recently found out that Ted Horn was born in my hometown of Cincinnati. Cool.
I have a book written by Russ Catlin titled "The Life of Ted Horn". I bought it around 1970 from a book vendor in northwestern Illinois who was selling out. I bought every book he had left. They were primarily Floyd Clymer publications, including many Indy 500 yearbooks. There were many interesting books in that collection. FYI, Ted Horn was born Eylard Theodore Horn.

1/27/11, 9:33 PM   #16
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I have a book written by Russ Catlin titled "The Life of Ted Horn". I bought it around 1970 from a book vendor in northwestern Illinois who was selling out. I bought every book he had left. They were primarily Floyd Clymer publications, including many Indy 500 yearbooks. There were many interesting books in that collection. FYI, Ted Horn was born Eylard Theodore Horn.
Ron, his name was Stanley Hegberg. He lived outside of Chicago and sold Clymer books for years. I bought many 500 yearbooks from Mr. Hegberg over the years.

1/27/11, 9:51 PM   #17
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Ron, his name was Stanley Hegberg. He lived outside of Chicago and sold Clymer books for years. I bought many 500 yearbooks from Mr. Hegberg over the years.
Vukie,

Yes, that was his name. I'm glad you reminded me, because it had slipped from my memory.

1/28/11, 12:13 AM   #18
Need For Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
No order in my selections, just chose 33. I buggered up with Tony Bettenhausen twice though! Some of my drivers did not race at Indy but they were some of the best that ever drove in American openwheel competition.

That is some crazy Aussie logic..........

First you try to include guys who never drove at The Speedway, in a list of the best to ever drive in the Indy 500. Then you try to include some clowns, in your personal list of the best to ever drive in American openwheel competition!?!?

Ask an AMERICAN who they would include in a 'list of the best to ever drive in American openwheel competition', and you would hear or see, names of men who've raced and won at places like Winchester, Ascot, the Indiana State Fairgrounds, Knoxville, Belleville, Eldora, and so on.

But you want to include Sebastien Bourdais, Cristiano da Matta, Alex Zanardi, etc in that list...are you serious?

4 members like this post: Dale, jim goerge, Russell Ficklin, stp6237
1/28/11, 12:57 AM   #19
Greatest (33) at Indy "500" of All Time!!...
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Huh!!....What about Danny...Spin n' Win who??.....Sullivan......

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/28/11, 9:46 AM   #20
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
Bourdais, da Matta and Zanardi would have been brickyard stars if Tony hadn't buggered everything up in 1996. Indycar would still have been a massive world phenomenon rather than a race supported by a series of unsupported races.
Let's not start this re-hashing of Tony George is the devil ***** again. Just pick 33 INDY 500 drivers.

This "split" ended three years ago. Done. Over. Accept it and move on. We around here like the distant past. You like the recent past.

We around here love our Saturday night short track heroes. Zanardi and Da Matta do not fit into that mold.

I think the average age of posters on IOW is at least double your age. Just so you know what era our thoughts and feelings are coming from.

You have to remember where you are posting. This is not a website called wineandcheeseracing.com.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Greatest 33 @ the Indy 500 of All Time?