IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Valley Raceway
4/13/15, 10:32 AM   #11
Re: Thunder Valley Raceway
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

We were originally scheduled for 10 nights but the opener got rained out and this weekend wouldn't conflict with TVR if they ran Saturdays starting in May. That's how I came up with 8 potential head-to-head dates. They are talking about a make-up date, however.
How much would you change your gear and stagger compared to Montpelier? Looks like TVR would just about fit in MMS's infield, judging by Google Maps...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/13/15, 10:58 AM   #12
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
We were originally scheduled for 10 nights but the opener got rained out and this weekend wouldn't conflict with TVR if they ran Saturdays starting in May. That's how I came up with 8 potential head-to-head dates. They are talking about a make-up date, however.
How much would you change your gear and stagger compared to Montpelier? Looks like TVR would just about fit in MMS's infield, judging by Google Maps...
Jim

Got to love them Google maps! Stagger would stay about the same for us, probably drop down 1 tooth on the counter, The track has a pretty decent bank and the cars carry a lot of speed through the turns. It is the closest thing to the Illinois tracks that Indiana has>hence my reasoning for it being one super Midget track. Because of it's size it really doesn't work well for Sprints either so you don't have to worry about them replacing you on the schedule. TQ work really well their also.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/13/15 at 11:05 AM.

4/13/15, 12:13 PM   #13
ThunderValleyRaceway

The schedule for Thunder Valley Raceway will be posted in a couple days. I have a fair board meeting tonight, to find out when the fair race is scheduled. Thunder Valley Raceway will have a new website soon. Everything is coming together. Thanks for your patience.

4 members like this post: Chief29, DAD, i love dirt track racing, jjones752
4/13/15, 6:17 PM   #14
Chief29

Finally someone going to run the track. Been going to the place sense 1987ish but being from Salem it's 2 miles away from me. Sad part is I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been there in 8 or so years and 3 of those I was driving. You guys are right with the fair board stuff. Thunder Valley was in its prime when it was S.W.M Motorsports. They had 20-30 600 mini sprints (uprights) 30-40 mini stock (pintos/mustangs) and around 15-20 mini late models. This was when the grand stand where there fullest. A lot of midget winners have got there start there. Brad Kuhn, AJ Felker, Seth Motsinger. That's just a few.

4/13/15, 8:14 PM   #15
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief29 View Post
Finally someone going to run the track. Been going to the place sense 1987ish but being from Salem it's 2 miles away from me. Sad part is I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been there in 8 or so years and 3 of those I was driving. You guys are right with the fair board stuff. Thunder Valley was in its prime when it was S.W.M Motorsports. They had 20-30 600 mini sprints (uprights) 30-40 mini stock (pintos/mustangs) and around 15-20 mini late models. This was when the grand stand where there fullest. A lot of midget winners have got there start there. Brad Kuhn, AJ Felker, Seth Motsinger. That's just a few.
Chief

You are right. Those guys put a lot of work into the track and it showed, but Fair Boards aren't known for their business expertise. The worst thing you can do as a promoter is look like you are making money then they figure out in their heads that they need a little more of the take for the Fair,and or ******** change and to the victor goes the spoils.

Steve Smith was a grader operator extraordinaire he took an old WW II grader that I think he could only get to start and built a super little track complete with a berm for the turns. I can remember him coming over to my driver at the time and threatening to black flag him if he did not keep his tires off of his handy work and he meant it.

That was a special bunch of people, hopefully the little track can recover with the right people in charge and the understanding of that danged old Board.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/13/15 at 8:17 PM.

4/14/15, 3:14 AM   #16
Chief29

Yep fair boards have hurt the karting community area here as well. My uncle Mark Humphrey (not the mini stock Mark Humphrey) ran mini sprints down there with Bob Myers back when SWM ran it.

4/14/15, 9:48 AM   #17
DAD

Quote:
Yep fair boards have hurt the karting community area here as well. My uncle Mark Humphrey (not the mini stock Mark Humphrey) ran mini sprints down there with Bob Myers back when SWM ran it.
Chief

We raced with Mark and his brother Larry>>>Good Folks>>>and tough to beat. It is hard to believe how well that track worked back then. They filled the pits and grandstands both. Payed well>>were fair to the racers>>had great concessions stands>>a really nice free banquet at the end of the season>>>What the Heck Happened !!!

Honest Dad himself

4/14/15, 12:14 PM   #18
TQ29m

We ran go-karts there, years ago, also TQ's, not all that long ago, and at least one Sprint car show, and the same at Osgood, kinda fun with all of them, Mason Fleetwood was running Thunder Valley then, we always had good turn outs, even on Friday nights. Felt sorry for Mason, he had signed agreements with the Fair Board, then the City saw there was some money to be made there, so as politicians do, they decided it was in the City limits, and by the time they got done with their rant, everyone had given up, racers and promoters, as someone has said before, Fair Boards do have a way of getting greedy, and most of the time, they don't even know where the Fairgrounds is, we had that happen in Columbus, they were elected, and they just wanted to add something to their resume, all they knew was, they could store their junk there at no cost! Bob

4/14/15, 1:14 PM   #19
Chief29

Is this "full" midgets like Powri? Or just Kenyon type or lighting sprints

4/14/15, 2:15 PM   #20
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Is this "full" midgets like Powri? Or just Kenyon type or lighting sprints
The flyer says D-2, which is the above plus Focus/Ecotech (it's spelled out in the fine print), but not "National", like USAC/POWRi.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Valley Raceway