IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tim Richmond - ESPN
10/19/10, 9:55 PM   #11
Re: Tim Richmond - ESPN
IndyBound

Thanks David, all ready have my tv set for 8 P. M. Az time since I only caught the last few minutes of the earlier broadcast.

Jerry, having followed Tim's racing career since he drove a supermodified back in 1977 I am sure this show will also bring tears to my eyes. Tim was one of the most talented young drivers I ever saw wheel a race car, gone way to early.

Patti

4 members like this post: Amatiforever, AustinSprinter, Bruce Harrison, Ovalmeister
10/19/10, 11:52 PM   #12
RandyB

Its on again tomorrow.......7:30-8:30 EST ESPN2

10/20/10, 12:42 AM   #13
Hawker

An unbelievable documentary....I had forgotten just how good he was until this sad reminder. Us in the Midwest never got the pleasure to see him race on dirt.

The only thing that could have made this program any better is one produced independently instead of being produced by NASCAR.

Thanks for the heads up about this program KT.

Also, as a side note, it was nice to see a pleasant reminder that NASCAR at one time was a good series.

1 member likes this post: okienonwingfan
10/20/10, 1:40 AM   #14
USAC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Other than the fact they they kind of glossed over the subject of the falsified drug test that prompted his suspension a bit, this was a very good documentary.
You must have missed the interview with Bill Jr. where he admitted they handled the drug test wrong and you also got the feeling by listening to his voice and seeing his mannerisms that he has a deep regret for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
The only thing that could have made this program any better is one produced independently instead of being produced by NASCAR.
Rory Karpf is an independent producer. NASCAR backed out of allowing footage when they found out the majority of the film would be based on his illness. The footage used during the film was property of ESPN, not NMG.

Even if NASCAR was involved, it was still the most in-depth look into his last few years. I'm not surprised someone like you can still find a negative about it.

1 member likes this post: Amatiforever
10/20/10, 2:14 AM   #15
Hawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
Even if NASCAR was involved, it was still the most in-depth look into his last few years. I'm not surprised someone like you can still find a negative about it.
What was it that I posted that was so "negative"? The fact that it IS indeed a partial product of NASCAR? Try watching the credits again. "ESPN Films Presents"....."A NASCAR Media Group Production".

Now I am sure that you know WAY more than me, so please explain how NASCAR did not have a hand in the making of this documentary.

That being said, I'm surprised that someone like you could still find a way to turn a respectful thread into a pissing match.

10/20/10, 3:59 AM   #16
USAC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
What was it that I posted that was so "negative"? The fact that it IS indeed a partial product of NASCAR? Try watching the credits again. "ESPN Films Presents"....."A NASCAR Media Group Production".

Now I am sure that you know WAY more than me, so please explain how NASCAR did not have a hand in the making of this documentary.

That being said, I'm surprised that someone like you could still find a way to turn a respectful thread into a pissing match.
My mistake, I read articles before the showing that Karpf indicated NMG backed out.

As for the rest of your "post", you're the king of pissing matches, Pat. Especially when you get a chance to tell people how right you are. (Even when you're wrong)

10/20/10, 7:53 AM   #17
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Glad people enjoyed it, I thought it was pretty well done given they only had an hour. They could have spent two hours and still probably had more to say.

Man could that dude hustle a car….you forget because it’s been so long. The footage from Riverside and The Glen really showed that. I forgot about all the cars he drove, he’s always remembered in the Folgers 25 car for obvious reasons (Nascar was actually watchable back then and actually had some good racing). I think he would have been a hell of an IndyCar driver too. I’ve always loved the footage/pictures of him riding on the side of JR’s winning car in 80. Would liked to have heard more about the dirt career, but not enough time to hit that more.

The first 30 minutes really showed the racer and personality, the second was more focused on the sad part of his life. It was kind of two shows to me. The saddest part to me was him coughing over and over in victory lane. In hindsight he’s happy to be a winner, but on the other hand he’s dying.

10/20/10, 8:01 AM   #18
newman1957

Thanks for sharing the photo David. Here in Richmond, all you have to do is bring up the name Dave Hodson and you'll have yourself a trip down memory lane. People have all kinds of cool stories about him. He was a well respected man and a passionate car owner.

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister
10/20/10, 8:29 AM   #19
tq11

I love knowing about the history of racing and Tim is one driver I had heard of but I never knew he was as good as he was. I mean the guy could drive anything! I would love to have half the talent he had. Its to bad they werent more open back then about AIDS and maybe he could have got help sooner and maybe saved his life. But either way It was awesome watching all the highlights of his career. Its seems to me he was my kind of driver Checkers or wreckers! There was one part in general that really mad me laugh. Tim said you spell WIN (MONEY) He sure knew what it took to win! lol!

Brandon Gray#11

10/20/10, 8:46 AM   #20
Pat O'Connor Fan

Those of you who never met Tim, or even got to see him wheel a super modified or sprint car, have missed something special.

And the women he sometimes brought with him................

4 members like this post: Amatiforever, IndyBound, Mud Packer, Ovalmeister
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tim Richmond - ESPN