IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > racing suit?
9/17/11, 9:20 PM   #11
Re: racing suit?
Bad Dad 54

SFI testing indicates how long it takes to get A 2ND DEGREE BURN keep that in mind when buying a suit & it doesn’t factor in the wind fanning the flames. 3.2A-1\1 is 3 seconds, 3.2A-1\3 is 7 seconds, 3.2A-1\5 is 9.5 seconds, 3.2A-1\10 is 20seconds, 3.2A-1\15 is 30 seconds, 3.2A-1\20 is 40 seconds.
Check the detergent you are using, particularly liquid detergents. They can leave a flammable residue. This warning also goes out for children's clothing. Powder detergents are better for this situation! Anyone know what Chemical to look for I don’t have it.
Ask the maker what type of stitching they use a 3 or a 5 thread surging, you want the 5. Your firesuit should be a loose fit but not to the point you like you have a full load in your pants but you’re not getting a tuxedo either. You want to be able to put your hands up without “hurting” yourself ok?
Underwear will pull moisture away from your body thus reducing the chance of a burn and is more comfortable than a t-shirt I’ve seen so many drivers wear. Be sure and use a 1pc suit a 2pc has a tendency to ride up in back exposing the body to fire and if your upside down with a fuel leak you don’t want that chance the alcohol will run inside your suit. The underwear can add as much as 6-7 seconds of protection in a fire.
Make 2 copies of measuring chart and use a cloth tape measure to get driver measurements. After a while you may forget some measurements get the copy out and re-measure driver any differences should be resolved.

1 member likes this post: #1Brad Kuhn Fan
9/18/11, 11:03 AM   #12
Re: racing suit?
Melmo

I've got several suits for sale but there all kid sizes though!!!!

9/18/11, 11:17 AM   #13
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Thanks a lot for for all your help. Im really appreciative of this great Iow family. I went with a bell suit. It fit the greatest... can't thank chris enough at north American race gear as we spent several hours in his shop on his day off. Great guy and I enjoyed doing business with me. Now onto next Saturday ill begin my racing career driving a Tq midget. Pretty excited as well as nervous..
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: davidm, reeserx
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > racing suit?