IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Aaron Hull
6/15/16, 12:42 AM   #11
dustbowl

Terrible tragedy, thoughts to the racer and family. I don't know the situation other than the online speculation, but I will say of the variables involved, blaming the tire is premature. We can all learn from experiences, I know I have and luckily enough only ended up with a broken arm with what happened to me, since then I do not trust racing wheels and have made my own device with a gauge to inflate a tire onto the bead from a distance. Definitely not Aaron's fault, any racing team you see will mount a tire with there arms and body inside the danger zone of the wheel. I encourage everyone I see mounting a tire to create their own tire mounting tool. These type of incidents, generally, the wheels fail, not the tire. I will not comment further. Unfortunate.
Last edited by dustbowl; 6/15/16 at 12:56 AM.

1 member likes this post: Graham08
6/15/16, 3:06 AM   #12
DirtHawk92

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 8

Saw this posted on twitter.. RIP
Attached Images
image.jpg (122.4 KB, 246 views)

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/15/16, 7:58 AM   #13
Re: RIP Aaron Hull
dirt40

Thoughts and prayers. He will be missed.

6/15/16, 11:33 AM   #14
Sandy Lowe

Deepest sympathies to Aaron's family and friends from the Midwest TQ Racing League.

6/15/16, 2:57 PM   #15
drtrcr86

Condolences to the family. Compressed air can be a dangerous explosive. I was lucky to escape with minor injuries while mounting a passenger car tire over 40 years ago. Dustbowl's advice about a remote air chuck is a good idea. I also have found that a bar of soap kept in a coffee can with water makes an excellent tire lube. Most importantly, if the tire doesn't seat with 20 lbs or less of air, pull the valve stem, break the bead, lube again, and then retry.

1 member likes this post: erich45
6/15/16, 5:20 PM   #16
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
Terrible tragedy, thoughts to the racer and family. I don't know the situation other than the online speculation, but I will say of the variables involved, blaming the tire is premature. We can all learn from experiences, I know I have and luckily enough only ended up with a broken arm with what happened to me, since then I do not trust racing wheels and have made my own device with a gauge to inflate a tire onto the bead from a distance. Definitely not Aaron's fault, any racing team you see will mount a tire with there arms and body inside the danger zone of the wheel. I encourage everyone I see mounting a tire to create their own tire mounting tool. These type of incidents, generally, the wheels fail, not the tire. I will not comment further. Unfortunate.

does anyone know what exactly happened so we can all learn from this? I'm sure we are all guilty of to much air, if it's trying to stretch a tire or just mount it, I know I am, can you give us a description and maybe pictures of the tool you made?

2 members like this post: buck2, Graham08
6/15/16, 5:54 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Used to work on car tires and had a newbie mount one up and air it close to 100psi before it exploded, knocked him about five feet backward and gave him a concussion and hearing loss. Lucky honestly. They can be small bombs.

Had another in the Fleet service (Who are provided air up cages) but never use them. Air a ring rim (Simular to bead lock) up and the ring popped off, Grazed his forehead and went over a hundred feet in the air. Also very lucky to get by with stitches and concussion. The Cages were made manditory and a automatic firing if not used after that.

They make cages, But a line with the gage far from the stem is adiquate and standing back and not over the rim. As mentioned. If they aren't seating by 20-30pds, Break em back down and lube both the rim and the bead.

Yeah, I've heard of stretching tires But at what rate are you trying to do it? Anything over 40psi can be deadly and if they pop under that. Its still going to sting do some damage, Think Firecracker you didn't get rid of quick enough. Up there around 100psi is like a stick of dynamite. You want to stretch em, 30ish and direct sunlight will work better than more air pressure.

Tragic loss. RIP and prayers to the Hull family and friends. I do not know the details. The above is just personal experiences.

1 member likes this post: DirtHawk92
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Aaron Hull