IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Port Royal USAC Eastern Storm - Cottle vs Ballou.
6/13/16, 2:53 PM   #11
gtownplowboy

Yes it was senseless.would have gotten the feature starting spot back whether he ran first or second.hard to have a competitive car when you only run a couple times a year.

6/13/16, 2:55 PM   #12
Re: Port Royal USAC Eastern Storm - Cottle vs Ballou.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I blame the car number. The 1 is cursed and it bit em both. As for Fault? Yeah, drivers do go up in the fluff to pass, But two cars in the same spot, never works well, If I seen a couple more laps before, I could tell or not if there was blocking going on. As I see it. Racin deal that was bad for both.

3 members like this post: DirtHawk92, mc/rider, SHORTBUS
6/13/16, 3:16 PM   #13
on_the_edge

Except for the fact that they were running 1-2 in a heat race, with nothing to really gain by making that pass. Cottle loses his ride for the next night over that issue, "just a racing incident" cost 1 car owner a lot of money and 1 driver the chance to make some money the next night. A pass on the outside going into the corner when cottle is probably expecting a slider is a game of Russian roulette if you ask me.

4 members like this post: fish, opnwhlmnd, smooth, spicoli
6/13/16, 3:25 PM   #14
Gene Franckowiak

Shane Golobic, in our second car, ran 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th and Kyle Moody in our third car qualified for every race and was competitive each night and Jerry Coons Jr. ran Tim & Fran Hogue's car to a few top 10's and Joie biasi, another local guy had a top 10 at Lincoln......all of these are local teams that only run the Eastern Storm......so at the end of the day, with the correct combination of owner / driver / crew / effort it is very possible to be competitive running only a few races a year.

6/13/16, 3:57 PM   #15
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_edge View Post
Except for the fact that they were running 1-2 in a heat race, with nothing to really gain by making that pass. Cottle loses his ride for the next night over that issue, "just a racing incident" cost 1 car owner a lot of money and 1 driver the chance to make some money the next night. A pass on the outside going into the corner when cottle is probably expecting a slider is a game of Russian roulette if you ask me.
I disagree.
The great ones run hard and to win every race, heat or not.

Hey guys no more passing on the outside.
If I was expecting a slider why would I move up the track ? I'd hold my line or if anything try to stay lower.

Two fast guys driving insane cars, **** happens.
The car owner has nothing to apologize for. I admire him for having his equipment and money on the track.

6/13/16, 4:08 PM   #16
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post

Two fast guys driving insane cars, **** happens.
The car owner has nothing to apologize for. I admire him for having his equipment and money on the track.
I Like Shane and Robert and gladly pay my money to see them RACE. They'll move on and race just as hard next time out. And thanks Gene for supporting the Eastern Storm.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

6/13/16, 4:54 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Who made the statement a few show owner cant win? I think they did a show a couple years ago and have many top tens. Not to mention Gene helps a few guys in IN. Area stay on the track, One of his motors has multiple IN wins and I think a Oval Nationals?

Its not like their first time out and Cottle has over a decade NW experience.

I don't know if USAC awards points for heat finishes. I know there are qualifying points. I too often say there is nothing to gain in USAC by advancing in the top four. Except Winners get bragging rights.

Nobody likes to lose, Wise or unwise, Well the outcome I suppose tells the story, But it can be done and watch Lakeside USAC on Youtube and watch Robert run the fluff to destroy the field.

6/13/16, 7:41 PM   #18
rclaridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Who made the statement a few show owner cant win? I think they did a show a couple years ago and have many top tens. Not to mention Gene helps a few guys in IN. Area stay on the track, One of his motors has multiple IN wins and I think a Oval Nationals?

Its not like their first time out and Cottle has over a decade NW experience.

I don't know if USAC awards points for heat finishes. I know there are qualifying points. I too often say there is nothing to gain in USAC by advancing in the top four. Except Winners get bragging rights.

Nobody likes to lose, Wise or unwise, Well the outcome I suppose tells the story, But it can be done and watch Lakeside USAC on Youtube and watch Robert run the fluff to destroy the field.
Charles I believe the points for heat races are 4 3 2 1 for the top 4,I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...lol

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/13/16, 8:17 PM   #19
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclaridge View Post
Charles I believe the points for heat races are 4 3 2 1 for the top 4,I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...lol
With the three heat race format (in which 5 cars transfer) that was the case in this particular race at Port Royal, the point format for the heats was as follows:
1st...8 points
2nd...7
3rd...6
4th...5
5th...4

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, rclaridge, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Port Royal USAC Eastern Storm - Cottle vs Ballou.