IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #161 10/4/14 12:12 PM
I'm curious why would a 305 wing car get the same millage as a 410 w/o wing? Do they pour more out of the tail pipes?

Honest Dad himself
Leohr46 (Offline)
  #162 10/4/14 12:34 PM
Because the wing car will most likely be on the floor. From flag to flag.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, mscs20
jjracer636 (Offline)
  #163 10/4/14 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
K

The Micro guys don't count, Most of them are fresh out of Go-Karts and will spend any amount of money if they thought they could get an edge, Most Mini Sprinters are more conservative, for $12000.00 I would put you in a very fast stock motored 1000cc car turn key with spares.

Replacement motors go from $1500.00 to $4000.00.

Honest Dad himself
Race smarter, not harder. In my R6 we have 2700 invested that's motor headwork, and carbs. My whole micro operation has maybe 10 thousand invested total in four years of racing. Capable of winning races against those so called 10k motors. Anyone who knows any better knows ninety percent of the power these motors are capable of making is found in the headwork done. Some micro guys do know better . Besides all the power in the world means nothing if you can't get it to the ground. What about a winged 1000cc micro that would be a combo put out twenty more hp stock than those built 600cc that's an idea
DAD (Offline)
  #164 10/4/14 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by jjracer636:
Race smarter, not harder. In my R6 we have 2700 invested that's motor headwork, and carbs. My whole micro operation has maybe 10 thousand invested total in four years of racing. Capable of winning races against those so called 10k motors. Anyone who knows any better knows ninety percent of the power these motors are capable of making is found in the headwork done. Some micro guys do know better . Besides all the power in the world means nothing if you can't get it to the ground. What about a winged 1000cc micro that would be a combo put out twenty more hp stock than those built 600cc that's an idea

JJ

Them guys up NY and Penn done tried it. What was you saying about getting it to the ground. A little over kill, but the 1000cc motors works real well in a Midget size car with Midget tires and we don't have to spend money on head work. In fact sometimes it is pretty hard to get them Big tires hooked up with a 1000cc motor.

Honest Dad himself
Bill May (Offline)
  #165 10/4/14 12:57 PM
mscs is about right, we usually went through 10 to 15 gal. in our winged 305, these legal motors are about 1/2 the HP (10.5 t0 1. comp/ratio) of a 410 with the much higher comp., similar to highway, car weight, gearing and driver technique affect fuel consumption and ultimately, track performance (the usual racing priority).

Bill may
DAD (Offline)
  #166 10/4/14 1:13 PM
So you are saying the 305 isn't as efficient as a 410 and they are wasting fuel, are they carburetors or fuel injection?

They sound kinda of interesting.

Sure hope the folks at Brownstown are reading this>

Honest Dad himself
ecrouse (Offline)
  #167 10/4/14 1:29 PM
Most of the 305 in the southwest use injectors. We would go through about 20-25 gallons per night. (Hot laps, heat races, 30 lap feature) Im not the expert on the difference in fuel usage however, those motors would only turn about 7000 rpm consistently. Also, because they are so limited on power, you had to be spot on with your main jets, high speed and barrel valve. Being fat on fuel had an exponentially bad effect on the 305 (stumbles on starts and low top rpm). Just some info for you all to digest.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #168 10/4/14 1:41 PM
So you are saying the 305 isn't as efficient as a 410 and they are wasting fuel, are they carburetors or fuel injection?

They sound kinda of interesting.

Sure hope the folks at Brownstown are reading this>

Honest Dad himself
Friend of mine runs 410 and theyve strapped the wing on for a couple shows. Said they use at least a third more fuel winged, Probably both from having the peddal down longer and the drag from the wing. So to say a Winged 305 running about the same amount of fuel as a 410 NW isn't too much of a stretch. Sure the cylinders are smaller but they're on the pedal harder and longer.

Charles Nungester
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #169 10/4/14 7:16 PM
Cleat

Nope>

Right now the "Mini >Lightning>Sprint is the biggest bang for your buck hands down.

Honest Dad himself
Unless your in Ohio racing waynesfield in a mini sprint and want to win. Which is the reason we will be selling out to run 305s.
2 Likes: DAD, PIT CART
DAD (Offline)
  #170 10/4/14 9:55 PM
Hos

Have you run any with MMSA or Montpelier?

Honest Dad himself