IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status
7/3/11, 11:42 PM   #161
Re: Action track status
Stagger

I am no track prep guy or have I ever prepped one.
Maybe they are lacking equipment there but still even if that is true they should have found some.

IMHO I would have dug the track up pretty deep and let it rain on it.
let all the free water get deep down in the surface. Then start wheel packing that thing when the sun came up. Even if it is a bit snotty in places you can still scrape it off a bit. Would have caused a rut or two? Maybe, but they didn't call it terrarut for nothing.

I grew up at MANZY and back in the day they worked that track at least 3 days before a show. If you showed up early the track would look way way to wet to race on but after an hour of wheel packing it was close enough to let the sprinters wheel pack it to their liking.

Were the cars just covered in mud after wheel packing? Sure... put that stuff scrapes right off if you put in a little effort. I remember walking across the track after all the A mains were done and the track could suck the shoes off your feet.

If MANZY could keep a tacky track with a nice cushion in the desert from hell there is no reason they could not have done this at TH today.

7/3/11, 11:44 PM   #162
dirttrackfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agar View Post
Unless they get someone who knows how to prep a track in there Tuesday and start getting it in order it will not be good in 10 days for sprint week.

I think it is time to move this date to Putnamville then get a promoter and the
Fair board together for next year and try again.

Couldn't agree more!!!

because if you try again in a week and you have a mess like today it might just be the end of the action Track.

it will be hard to find someone to take a chance on the place.

just my thoughts not trying to start a fight!
Posted via Mobile Device

7/3/11, 11:47 PM   #163
racephoto1

The fair board had their chance until they hosed the O'Conners. After the way the last two races went under their direction, last year, you'd think the fair board would get smart, it didn't.

1 member likes this post: dirtball
7/3/11, 11:53 PM   #164
Rogue-9

When they started to regrade the track after the red flag you could see there was still moisture under the surface, they just packed it too much.

2 members like this post: Mud Packer, The Old Coyote
7/3/11, 11:56 PM   #165
agar

Race Count Last Year: 14

with out the fair board nothing can be done so I guess it is a lost cause a promoter needs at least a 3 year contract to even think about taking a chance and the fair board needs to invest in some repairs But That ain't going to happen

1 member likes this post: racephoto1
7/4/11, 12:07 AM   #166
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-9 View Post
When they started to regrade the track after the red flag you could see there was still moisture under the surface, they just packed it too much.
I noticed that, too. I was standing there thinking I might be in a "Twilight Zone" episode. With an jolt of irony right before the credits roll. Only they were a half hour long, not SEVEN HOURS!!!!

Jerry

Winston Churchill

7/4/11, 12:11 AM   #167
mod16d

My 2 cents worth, it was a TOTAL USAC deal. they were the promoter, the concessions, the track prep...everything. The inch or more of rain wasn't the problem, it was the fact that the track wasn't worked...PERIOD. They (USAC) or their crew could not have worked on the track all week, as is required for a day race, because if you looked real close, there was grass growing in turn 4. The rain was THE EXCUSE, not the problem .
Don't blame the the track, blame the morons at USAC (morons is the kind term, I was going to say dumb f..cks). I, like Jason McCord, have fond memories of my father, unfortunately, he's dead, just like day racing, I KIND OF THOUGHT THAT WAS THE REASON USAC WASN'T GOING TO COME BACK IN THE 90'S AND MR. HOPTON HAD THE F' ING LIGHTS PUT UP!!!!

7/4/11, 12:12 AM   #168
RGraves

There is always a bright side. You could've watched Scott Bloomquist win the last two nights in a row like I have.

I hate to see this happen at the THAT. Definately some poor decisions were made. Today, nobody was a winner. USAC and THAT got horrible press, drivers didn't make any money and the fans are pissed.

Fortunately Sprint Week starts in less than a week. Good time to redeem themselves. See you'll there

P.S.- Yes, I admitted that I am also a fan of dirt late models. Might as well admit that I like winged sprints too, just not as much as non-wing!
Guess I am just a fan of dirt track racing in general

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
7/4/11, 12:15 AM   #169
Avon Open Wheel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agar View Post
Unless they get someone who knows how to prep a track in there Tuesday and start getting it in order it will not be good in 10 days for sprint week.

I think it is time to move this date to Putnamville then get a promoter and the Fair board together for next year and try again.

because if you try again in a week and you have a mess like today it might just be the end of the action Track.

it will be hard to find someone to take a chance on the place.

just my thoughts not trying to start a fight!
This is right on the money. There just is not enough time to fix this mess before sprint week. Moving it to Putnamville would be a smart and logical move. It would only cause more damage to have another show like they had today. I think it would at least show the fans that USAC is trying to do the right thing.
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 7/4/11 at 12:17 AM.

2 members like this post: Dannypollock24, dirtnonwingfan
7/4/11, 12:21 AM   #170
TCreech31

USAC = USUC when they pushed cars off the knew what was going to happen Thomas is very lucky, glad he is ok but none of the drivers should have been put in that spot today

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status