IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution
7/31/12, 11:04 AM   #91
Re: mini sprint evolution
KYRON

Amen !

7/31/12, 11:11 AM   #92
Outlaw2010

I really dont care to enter this debate on drive line problems,cheating,or cost.
I would like to ask one very pertinent question.

Which Japanese manufacturer has spent dollar one on Mini Sprint racing?
Thats what I thought....

Ford on the other hand,an American Company, has spent their resources in an attempt to help and grow this class of racing by making a cheaper and more durable engine/driveline package. Lets immediately flip them off before there is even a prototype on the track ! That's a wise choice.

Some of you people amaze me with your narrow minded/non business approach to racing. Guess what, Racing IS a business. The current Mini Sprint business model is a dinosaur and will eventually fail. Largely due to the lack of support from the current engine manufactures.

1 member likes this post: latemodel55
7/31/12, 11:15 AM   #93
Midget18

Trust me I would love to. I will be in a sprint car a few races this year...when Joe allows me to pull his seat out and put mine in

Mini Sprints are super affordable for the most part. IF we could get purses back up I think you will see more and more go back to mini sprints just because of the cost factor.....

In just mini sprint races, we have ran 7 we have not finished outside top 2 (except for 1 and we were lucky we got the car back together after a driver error) but just with that we brake even and get to the next race...bigger purses would help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
I'm sorry to see that, because that is the evolution that needs fixed!

Good luck!

Posted via Mobile Device

7/31/12, 12:22 PM   #94
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
Talking about evolution... Do any of you guys have plans to move to sprint cars? If not, why?

Posted via Mobile Device

Bill Gardner

Take a little time and watch a mini sprint race sometime.

Racing is a very expensive sport, and mini sprints or as I like to think of them as "1000cc midgets" is the less expensive route to take. For many of us it seems to be the last stop. I am not going to go bankrupt chasing a dream. If you spend a little time looking inside a "1000cc midget" race you will find drivers racing in them with as much or more ability as anyone racing sprint cars today, but these drivers have jobs, family and pockets not as deep as some other racers.

Like I've said before if you look down the midget drivers list most of them will have the same last name as the owner of the car, those that don't have the same last name have very very rich parents. I do not begrudge them their wealth but that is a simple fact.That means they were born very lucky and are related to somebody that can afford to spend between $30,000.00 to $300,000.00 a year for them to race and get to the level where someone might think about hiring them as a race car driver. We budget about $5000.00 a year to race or "1000cc Midget" on that includes the car, tires,fuel, repairs, and transportation to the race track, and this danged $4.00 gasoline is taking away from all of that.

USAC would be considered the university of racing, Poweri would be the State College, and 1000cc midgets is the trade school of racing.

Bill May left out Shane Cottle AMSA, Jimmy Kite southern states, and AJ Felker Thunder Valley 600cc racer. AJ was a very good midget driver and is a very talented race car builder and engine mechanic.

Sure almost everyone racing 1000cc midgets would like to break out and hit the circuit. But they are also realist and know that they have jobs and family and other things that come first. They also love racing and if this is what it takes to race that is what they do.

Sometimes I feel like Rodney Dangerfield. On the smaller tracks with our wings on we are as fast or faster than anything out there that includes wingless 410 sprints, full midgets, or late models. But we are considered a support class. Sometimes our races are a little boring to the casual race fan that is because we don't make too many mistakes and cause a lot yellow or red flags, but if you watch these racers closely they are racing as close or closer than their larger brethren, and not screwing up.

Like TQ"s we have 3 types of drivers, "Young hot shoe's" (those moving up and out), we are a great starting point for open wheel racers, "Over the hill" wana be racers(those that did not get to race when young and who have got to the point that they can afford to do some racing now), and the "Journeyman 1000cc midget driver" ( those that race 1000cc midgets because that is what they can afford and over years of racing have become excellent race car drivers). These are the racer that teach the young hot shoe right from wrong and watch out for the over the hill wana be racer and do this because they love racing.

If it takes a motor change 1000cc midgets we will do it heck, we might evolve into 2000cc midgets who knows, But I do know we have earned a place in dirt track racing, and I think we are smart enough to evolve with time. Yeh some of us will move up and out and some of us will stay here and hold the fort down.

When the heck are we going to get to see that evolving Ford Duratec race car?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/31/12 at 1:08 PM.

1 member likes this post: D.L. 122
7/31/12, 1:10 PM   #95
latemodel55

Well said! outlaw2010

7/31/12, 1:23 PM   #96
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel55 View Post
Well said! outlaw2010
Chrysler got involved with midget and sprint car racing, that sure brought the cost of racing Way Way down. Ford got involved with with USAC and the Focus midget, that is an inexpensive deal. Nothing like having the manufacture in on the deal to bring the cost of racing down. The echo tec still shows promise if we can get GM in on it hot and heavy. There is nothing that a racer can do as cheaply as a manufacture can.

Honest Dad himself

7/31/12, 2:28 PM   #97
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw2010 View Post
I really dont care to enter this debate on drive line problems,cheating,or cost.
I would like to ask one very pertinent question.

Which Japanese manufacturer has spent dollar one on Mini Sprint racing?
Thats what I thought....

Ford on the other hand,an American Company, has spent their resources in an attempt to help and grow this class of racing by making a cheaper and more durable engine/driveline package. Lets immediately flip them off before there is even a prototype on the track ! That's a wise choice.

Some of you people amaze me with your narrow minded/non business approach to racing. Guess what, Racing IS a business. The current Mini Sprint business model is a dinosaur and will eventually fail. Largely due to the lack of support from the current engine manufactures.
That was the best part of the class, no engine manufacturer was needed. The jap engines are perfect for the class as is, pull them from a wrecked bike and go race. It doesnt get easyier or cheaper than that. Not to mention the jap 1000cc engines are refined to the point of almost perfection year after year. Hello! all midgets, minisprints and sprintcars are dinosaurs. Thats what I thought the draw was, not some newfangled crap everytime you turn around. If a car manufacturer is building a engine they are building a midget engine anyhow, not a minisprint engine. It seems like only on this site is there any confusion to what the difference between a midget and a minisprint is, it seems like the rest of the world gets it.
Last edited by backitin; 7/31/12 at 2:41 PM.

2 members like this post: RickyBobby, TM123
7/31/12, 3:03 PM   #98
Outlaw2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by backitin View Post
Hello! all midgets, minisprints and sprintcars are dinosaurs.
I guess it fine if you choose not to, or cant understand, what I wrote.

I stated the current business Model for Mini Sprint racing is a very poor one, and cannot survive.
If you would like to comment on that statement I would be happy to start a dialog. Sadly,I have found these forums do more to impede an intelligent discussion rather than foster one.
Last edited by Outlaw2010; 7/31/12 at 7:56 PM.

7/31/12, 3:28 PM   #99
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw2010 View Post
"Hello! all midgets, minisprints and sprintcars are dinosaurs. "

I guess it fine if you choose not to, or cant understand, what I wrote.

I stated the current business Model for Mini Sprint racing is a very poor one, and cannot survive.
If you would like to comment on that statement I would be happy to start a dialog. Sadly,I have found these forums do more to impede an intelligent discussion rather than foster one.
Basically mini's midgets and sprintcars have hardley evolved, thats why they're great, and pretty much dino's.. Minisprints are and have always been a motorcycle engined powered machine, mostly catering to the folks that dont have the money or desire to run a more expensive midget. minisprint owners and drivers arnt very interested in business models, thats why we own minisprints. Your starting to sound a bit too smart for a class that was started for fun. If your looking for a cheap engine for midgets more power to you. How intelligent do you have to be to understand that a minisprint is motorcycle engine powered, and most of us dont want or need car engines, which happen to be a different class of car, midgets. Seems like maybe you arnt intelligent enough to see the difference between apples and oranges.
Last edited by backitin; 7/31/12 at 3:38 PM.

2 members like this post: STUMPS88, TM123
7/31/12, 3:36 PM   #100
Outlaw2010

Thank you Bob...For proving my point.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution