IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill
6/23/09, 8:39 PM   #91
Re: The Rumor Mill
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
please tell us why he picks your brain? What is your background in racing? AND WE KNOW ITS 2009! THINK ABOUT THIS IN THE LAST 100 YR. YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENTS IN THE THE FIRST HORSE TO WIN THE KENTUCKY DERBY AND MINE THE BIRD AND THE PLACE IS SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW MUCH HAS BASEBALL CHANGED? BETTER BATS GLOVES BALLS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
Classy response Kirk, thanks. And 45 is considered old? That sucks.
David.
Duke-
That's the point. He's willing to talk to anyone who is intelligent and can talk in a sensible way. I guess that would put you out.
If you don't think horse racing or baseball have changed, you're a fool. Everything does. If I had your outlook on it, I would say, "Well, they're still trying to go fast in a circle, just like 100 years ago." But I know better than that...

David-
I hope that wasn't a cheap shot, but that's how you're coming off. When we first met, I'm pretty sure you were cool and young. Don't be one of those bitter guys like Duke!!

My dad was born in 1945, and he's seen it all. From Indy to Knoxville to Ascot to Winchester.....he's seen so many great things that I wish I could have seen...but he always reminds me that as great as things were then, he still appreciates what he's seeing to this day. He's seen some great races, and some great racers, and some amazing sights - but those weren't necessarily better than what he sees now. He thought Indiana Midget Week was some of the best stuff you could see, and I'm sure he'll love this year's Indiana Sprint Week just as much as he did the Knoxville Nationals he saw in the 70s. I just wish everyone could enjoy it the way he does....we have a blast regardless.
Last edited by Kirk Spridgeon; 6/23/09 at 8:41 PM.

6/23/09, 8:50 PM   #92
Supermod
Inactive Member

To Spridge:

Your posts on here are among the most intelligent and insightful of any one since Dwight Clock - keep up the great work!

To Duke:

I just made a call to Fairlane, and Old 999 is just about ready for your comeback tour!

later,

Bob Mays

6/23/09, 8:53 PM   #93
wtvwrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy112 View Post
Lets face it, todays youth are used to instant stimulation. If you force them to sit through a 10 minute break everytime a race starts or there is a red flag becuase there are 3 push trucks shoving off 22 cars, they will lose interest in the racing and look for another form of entertainment. And if we dont have that 8-15 yr old crowd getting hooked on racing now, how bad of shape is everything going to be in 15 years down the road.
I will add that you have no idea how right you are in your statement. Echo Boomers are the key. "These "echo boomers" are about 70 million strong, and they are projected to outnumber their parents between 2010 and 2015, according to American Demographics magazine.

Generation Y ranges in age from 10 to 30 currently, and it is the first generation raised in the "brand era." They are extremely loyal to brands that they latch onto in their teen years, and they have funds behind them. Making up slightly more than a quarter of the population, Gen Y (born 1979-1999) has a buying power of $170-$200 billion annually."

Toyota is a client of mine and I recently attended a marketing conference given by the North American President of Marketing. He spoke to how they specifically marketed to this generation, because they will have more buying power than the Baby Boomers and Gen Y two times over. Keep in mind this generation does not know crank windows or manual locks in cars, fast food always had a drive thru and everything is instant gratification. They are the computer generation and the internet generation. Everything can be customized from your cell phone to your music (thank you IPOD) to your vehicle. Thus Toyota introduced the Scion brand and marketed it to this group. Scion was developed with only about 5 models, a certain number of colors, certain number of interior combinations...and there are limited options. Power locks, windows, etc are standard....they then developed a tremendous after-market parts company allowing the Scions to be customized relatively inexpensively.....So you can get a new steering wheel for 50 bucks, new shift, new door handles, etc....all customized...which is what this generation is all about.

Toyota's thinking? Tap into this massive buying power, give them what they are accustomed too, then you will move them from a Scion, right into a Toyota and right into a Lexus as they mature. The marketing, branding, product development were all geared specifically to this generation. And the first advertising??? Geared toward 5th grade boys when it was launched. Even though those boys couldn't drive, Toyota knew if they marketed the brand to them by the time they were able to choose a vehicle they would have them. And they were correct, Scion has been a very successful brand for Toyota and it is a huge hit with that age range.

The key thing he said, if they wanted Toyota to continue to be successful they had to secure a position with this generation because they will be the key to the companies future success, and you don't stick your head in the sand with a $200 billion buying power group and hope they will come find you one day.

So you are 100% correct, if you don't capture this group now you will lose them and it will ultimately be the demise of the sport. They have a million things to pick from and there are many, many more sporting options available now than there were 20-30 years ago. You have to tap into that age group and find a way to market yourself to them in a way they are familiar with.
Last edited by wtvwrocks; 6/23/09 at 8:54 PM.

1 member likes this post: wbr
6/23/09, 8:53 PM   #94
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk spridgeon View Post
duke-
that's the point. He's willing to talk to anyone who is intelligent and can talk in a sensible way. I guess that would put you out.
If you don't think horse racing or baseball have changed, you're a fool. Everything does. If i had your outlook on it, i would say, "well, they're still trying to go fast in a circle, just like 100 years ago." but i know better than that...

David-
i hope that wasn't a cheap shot, but that's how you're coming off. When we first met, i'm pretty sure you were cool and young. Don't be one of those bitter guys like duke!!

my dad was born in 1945, and he's seen it all. From indy to knoxville to ascot to winchester.....he's seen so many great things that i wish i could have seen...but he always reminds me that as great as things were then, he still appreciates what he's seeing to this day. He's seen some great races, and some great racers, and some amazing sights - but those weren't necessarily better than what he sees now. He thought indiana midget week was some of the best stuff you could see, and i'm sure he'll love this year's indiana sprint week just as much as he did the knoxville nationals he saw in the 70s. I just wish everyone could enjoy it the way he does....we have a blast regardless.
this bitter old man seen the first usac race at ft. Wayne 1956 i've been racing from coast to coast not seting in the grandstand!!!!!!!!!!! And i own 5 race horses! Been a driver owner and promoted 20 usac races! And you are a grandstand expert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermod View Post
to spridge:

Your posts on here are among the most intelligent and insightful of any one since dwight clock - keep up the great work!

To duke:

I just made a call to fairlane, and old 999 is just about ready for your comeback tour!

Later,

bob mays
go talk too speedy bill maybe he can help you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk spridgeon View Post
duke-
that's the point. He's willing to talk to anyone who is intelligent and can talk in a sensible way. I guess that would put you out.
If you don't think horse racing or baseball have changed, you're a fool. Everything does. If i had your outlook on it, i would say, "well, they're still trying to go fast in a circle, just like 100 years ago." but i know better than that...

David-
i hope that wasn't a cheap shot, but that's how you're coming off. When we first met, i'm pretty sure you were cool and young. Don't be one of those bitter guys like duke!!

my dad was born in 1945, and he's seen it all. From indy to knoxville to ascot to winchester.....he's seen so many great things that i wish i could have seen...but he always reminds me that as great as things were then, he still appreciates what he's seeing to this day. He's seen some great races, and some great racers, and some amazing sights - but those weren't necessarily better than what he sees now. He thought indiana midget week was some of the best stuff you could see, and i'm sure he'll love this year's indiana sprint week just as much as he did the knoxville nationals he saw in the 70s. I just wish everyone could enjoy it the way he does....we have a blast regardless.
so you want to races with your dad so you think your ready to work for usac? You would fit right in with that back ground!!!!!!!!!!

6/23/09, 9:33 PM   #95
wolmidget

I'm not sure who runs USAC. Is it Hoosier or USAC?? When I wanted to run a co-sanction race with the regional midget series they would not run with us even though we allowed American Racer and Hoosier in our Wolverine Series. DK promotions said he would get the race canceled if just one of us ran even one AR tire. I called USAC and they were not sure but called back later to say , yes they could get our race canceled. Hoosier could have our race canceled even though we accept both tires. Who really runs the show? Hoosier, and they are helping to ruin midget and sprint car racing in my opinion. The enormous cost for tires in comparison to start money will continue to kill our sport. Decisions are made on tire brand over what is best for midget racing overall. Remember, Hoosier does what is best for Hoosier not what is best for any series. They want to keep that 100% monopoly even if the numbers go down. I don't have an answer but if tire cost is not gotten under control, racing for the average guy is doomed.
Dan Vander Molen

6/23/09, 9:44 PM   #96
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
David-
I hope that wasn't a cheap shot, but that's how you're coming off. When we first met, I'm pretty sure you were cool and young. Don't be one of those bitter guys like Duke!!
Kirk, I'm not making the connection to the bitter thing.
I'm pretty sure I have never, ever badmouthed any of today's racers, sponsors, teams or tracks. (except the Eldora dust bowl, ) In fact I have the ultimate respect for them and will continue to state that publicly. They are very much as brave today as in any day from the past. I have also publicly thanked the current USAC gang for the cool streaming video among other things. If criticizing them for other things I disagree with is illegal, apologies then.

The point of my earlier post was simply to state that there are SEVERE problems with the state of todays USAC. And I agree a great deal, if not most, of those problems were inherited. I didn't envy the new gang when they assumed power. But it's going to take BIG balls to make the decisions we all know need to be made. I just haven't seen it yet. If you want my "to do list" let me know.

You can say USAC is no longer grass roots, that is fine. We agree to disagree. You say the racing is fantastic. I agree. My issue is this. If the car counts keep dwindling across the ranks, as they are now, is it cool if there are only 10 cars in the feature? Even if the race for the lead is great? Do we keep dropping divisions then? Where does it stop? Once again, we all know what needs to be done.

On a personal note, don't ever think I dislike you or want to take personal slams at you. (I've had people mention that we seem to hate each other!) I can argue with you forever about this stuff but I have total respect for your knowledge and passion of the sport. So shut the hell up.

David.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
6/23/09, 11:08 PM   #97
SteveE

Duke is right about USAC being the premier organization back 60's and early 70's, no lack of cars then. It was commonplace to go to the 500 and see them running the next day in a sprinter at New Bremen, when the race was always run on the 30th regardless. They ran the same car at Eldora, New Bremen, Dayton, Winchester and Salem. It can be done.

6/23/09, 11:21 PM   #98
kinser

It's not that I don't find you amusing at times but you have beat this spec car thing to death. Let's face the facts: this is 2009 not 1969,79,89 or 99 ! Things change sometimes they change for the better and sometimes they change for the worse. You get on here and bash everyone that doesn't agree with you and then you want to know what their connection to racing is.
Posted via Mobile Device

6/23/09, 11:23 PM   #99
Tq14

I have a fans perspective and a midget owners opinion. As a fan the only reason that fans have went away from midget & sprint racing is car counts. There is only a select few teams that show up every week to usac races. Others pick and chose what they can afford. Usacs biggest support is here in Indiana. It needs to be helped here first and then spread out over the country. Also getting usac back on tv would be great, but there is not chance of it making it right now with the state that its in. Car counts need to rise. The only way to gain cars is to bring more competition into the chassis builders, having more than just beast and somehow bringing the cost of parts down. I know what it costs to build the chassis's and engines and its a whole lot less than what all teams are paying. Someone is making good money!!!! Also add rules to make it more of a driver sport than who has the most money. Car counts would be bigger if they didnt have to run against high dollar tony stewart teams etc with much bigger funding....just opinions, i support usac i hope i gets back to what it was.

6/23/09, 11:25 PM   #100
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Hell folks I've got the answer to all of the problems mentioned here. Why don't we throw a bagazillion dollars at the issues like our friends do in Washington? Doesn't matter if we have enough in the checking account to cover what we are spending does it? I didn't think so.

I have an idea

How about I give you Forrest Lucas's checking account number (BR-459) and Mr. Miller takes all the money and fixes USAC's problems and if he has any money left which I doubt he will after seeing all of the problems listed here I would insist that USAC pay for my main man DonMoore10's medical bills.

Oh the ideas that could be acted on...

He can buy frisbees for drivers to toss, since that idea will put fannies in the stands or cars in the pits, he can buy ARCA since they obvioulsy are dragging down USAC, he can buy enough Toyota push trucks with all the unsightly graphics to push all the cars off at once, he can also replace some of that 70's shag carpeting in the office and create a work station for Tony after his mom and sisters run him. With his experience at spending high volumes of cash Tony should be a shoe in for spending some of Mr. Miller's bagazillion dollars as USAC's new marketing genious, no offense to Heidi but she doesn't have the experience at spending the mass volume of capital that Tony does. I would also insist that all USAC employees past and present have their Hoosier Tire and B.East tatoos surgically removed or at least have the other tire manufacturers and car builders tatooed on as well. Seems fair to me.

Oh what Mr. Miller couldn't do with a bagazillion dollars. Shoot he could even raise the purse too.

Since the Holiday Inn express I am at turns off the switch to the wifi at 11:30 I am off to bed to let these ideas simmer over night.

Peace and harmony to all and to all a good night.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill